test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

MMORPG Guy streaming beta live right now - Watch! and learn about the game

johnny305johnny305 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I got sent a message form MMORPG and am watching a guy play live.

http://www.twitch.tv/mmorpgcom?utm_campaign=twitch_favorite_up&utm_content=&utm_medium=cms_email&utm_source=20130207en

I'm assuming it is OK for him to show this right?

Well he is answering many basic questions.

Game is very easy to solo everything as his rogue he says, he says traps are very easy to avoid, but combat fun, and game nice overall but too easy is his main complaint.

There are open areas to play in, but a lot of the game is similar to D&D Online instanced quests and areas.

"An updated D&D O is how he describes the game" so if you enjoy D&D Online you should like this.

Watch and see and learn!
Post edited by johnny305 on

Comments

• Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Yes, MMORPG has been streaming their Beta Testing for the last few days :)

The only thing I'd like to point out is that if you weren't in a city you were in an instance. This is not the case with Neverwinter. There are lots of combat locations and quests which take part completely within persistent zones.
  • Options
    morhilanemorhilane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 46
    edited February 2013
    The instanced content is quite similar to DDO, that is probably what he's referring too.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Yes, MMORPG has been streaming their Beta Testing for the last few days :)

The only thing I'd like to point out is that if you weren't in a city you were in an instance. This is not the case with Neverwinter. There are lots of combat locations and quests which take part completely within persistent zones.

How many people can go into these persistent zones? I have not seen any streamed yet.

D&D Online also had big open maps that were outdoors and not dungeons with quests on them. But you could only go in with about 5-6 players max and clear it out that way.

How many can play on these at once?
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    To a point.

As a player what bothered me is that if I went *anywhere* I could run into monsters I would be in an instance. Anywhere underground, in a sewer, out of the main cities...pure instance.

While in some ways it is similar I don't consider it an "instanced" game like I do with DDO. As some other have stated it's the 'happy medium' since instances make life more more enjoyable than constantly competing for content.

I'll answer what other questions I can later.
  • Options
    horrorscope666horrorscope666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 415 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    To a point.

As a player what bothered me is that if I went *anywhere* I could run into monsters I would be in an instance. Anywhere underground, in a sewer, out of the main cities...pure instance.

While in some ways it is similar I don't consider it an "instanced" game like I do with DDO. As some other have stated it's the 'happy medium' since instances make life more more enjoyable than constantly competing for content.

I'll answer what other questions I can later.

I can't wait to get my hands on this, but I am assuming beta area's are extremely limited this weekend. How it comes across streaming is narrow corridors, instanced game. Instances within instances. Now I'm ok with that, I rather have it feel much more expansive (and it may be, just not seeing it yet) but some mmo'ers will just not give a second thought if it's all instances in general. I love DDO by the way, so yes I'm ok with instances, to me they play out like DND Modules.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I asked in the twitch chat and the guy playing says as far as he knows you can only enter the "open persistent areas" with your party. or at least the ones he has played.

I'm watching them right now in an "open area" and they said you still find instanced content within the open area.

Also I don't see anybody else in this open area other than their party.

They made it to some sewers and had to go into an instance or zone in, etc. and still I have not seen anybody else in this open area but their party.

So still no answer to my question, how many is max in one "open area" that is not a city?
  • Options
    morbicmorbic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'd imagine its kinda hard to answer max number of player questions in the open areas outside the city till open beta starts up. Unless a Dev came along and said they coded them for the population of x.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    There's currently no information on the maximum number of players. Locations do get split up over time for stability purposes just like DDO.

I sm well aware of DDO's garbage instanced 'just outside of city' zones. That's the part I hated most about DDO and Neverwitner is NOT like that. If you're not in a quest/dungeon you're in a persistant zone even if there are mobs to kill.

As for which areas are open, the main areas are all open. Every main location in the city and most travel-to locations are all persistant zones. It really shouldn't be that hard to see other players in open zones.
    There are more instanced quests than persistent quests though so my best guess is they are simply spending a lot of time going through the quests rather than exploring unless they are, for some reason, not a part of the Founders Beta Test.
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited February 2013
    It's also worth considering that it will be hard to test max populations in open world areas during a rather exclusive beta test.

Part of the reason why you haven't seen anyone else wandering around in what might be open world areas is pretty obvious: it's not that it's instanced, it's because there's no one else there.
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This probably won't have much bearing on it since Neverwinter's zones are likely bigger than the average zones for a Cryptic game, but the maximum players that could be in a zone/area in both STO and CO is around a hundred or so.