test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Hands Down - Best Combat Mechanics To Date

askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
edited February 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hats off Cryptic. You got combat down perfect. Positional attacks, flanking, blocking, line of sight - what a breathe of fresh air. I'm so looking forward to a Control Wizard or Warlock - traps, snares, runes, wards, and other CC type effects that actually feel real and work.

No more locking onto a target and then mashing buttons.

Awesome job.
Post edited by askopdkapok on

Comments

• Options
    geddings12geddings12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I like the combat system though dodging ...feels a little..clunky but maybe they do that so that you cant double tap dodge all the time? not sure.....other then that yeah its pretty fun . its nice to be able to actually move out of the way to avoid attacks if you can :-) cant do that in world of warcraft (othe then aoe) hehe!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    geddings12 wrote: »
    I like the combat system though dodging ...feels a little..clunky but maybe they do that so that you cant double tap dodge all the time? not sure.....other then that yeah its pretty fun . its nice to be able to actually move out of the way to avoid attacks if you can :-) cant do that in world of warcraft (othe then aoe) hehe!

I imagine its a balancing act. They don't won't it to be to easy to avoid attacks but at the same time not feel "clunky". Right now I think its a tad too easy to avoid attacks. I'm running with a Cleric right now at level 22. I'm sure it will get harder but I thought it would be more difficult by my 20's. Of course this is beta and these are exactly the things that beta aims to resolve.
  • Options
    horrorscope666horrorscope666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 415 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    OP have you tired C9? Thanks.
  • Options
    bejita231bejita231 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Honestly it feels like a less polished version of Guild Wars 2, but its still an enjoyable game
  • Options
    zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    bejita231 wrote: »
    Honestly it feels like a less polished version of Guild Wars 2, but its still an enjoyable game

Agreed. The dodging is not as fluid and responsive as I would like. The combat on the other hand is superb. Was worried about the inclusion of self rooting on combat press but so far I like it, much more then I did with Tera and it feels more weighty compared to GW2.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • Options
    denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Yes, but the lack of tab-targeting is actually a really good thing. So, while being possibly less polished, it gains the advantage back with combat speed.
    Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    edited February 2013

Huh? I lasted about a month in GW2. Definitely not more polished than this game and this is in beta 1. The classes in GW2 were horribly out of balance with like-level content and every time I tried to PvP I spent countless minutes just running around trying to get engaged. I'd see a skirmish on the map but by the time I got there it was long gone. Nearly all of the 30 of so guildies of mine that left LOTRO for it all grew bored with it within 1 month. Honestly, it left me wanting to go back and play GW1.

Now most of us have taken a break from MMO's completely while we wait for this and then Elder Scrolls. We've been playing a mix of Skyrim, BF3, and the Baldur's Gate remake.
  • Options
    hundredhandslaphundredhandslap Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 43
    edited February 2013
    A lot of other games talk up their "true action MMO!" but fail to deliver on it.

Neverwinter seems to be actual action to me. Granted I haven't played yet but it's obvious just from watching it in action. There's weight, there's a physics system, there's collision detection, you have to aim, block, dodge, etc.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    A lot of other games talk up their "true action MMO!" but fail to deliver on it.

Neverwinter seems to be actual action to me. Granted I haven't played yet but it's obvious just from watching it in action. There's weight, there's a physics system, there's collision detection, you have to aim, block, dodge, etc.

I know, its been a long time since a game came out that was able to keep me glued to a session for 8+ hrs. I'm loving the combat. I guess I didn't realize how tired I was of the traditional target-lock/button-mashing concept nearly all other MMOs are.

One thing that is starting to worry me is the lack of skill variety. I'm kinda getting bored with the cleric. I'm at lvl 28 and it seems new skills are just more powerful version of the same thing and having to be ranged as a cleric is not my preference. I was wanting to melee with a gnarly looking mace or something like that.