test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Clerics rock

thewiza1002thewiza1002 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
edited March 2013 in The Temple
Only level 8 so far, but have to say they are awesome! Damage is better than I thought PLUS clerics get a nice OOPS time machine if we mess up with healing for group and self. Thoughts?
Post edited by thewiza1002 on

Comments

• Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited February 2013
    Time machine?
  • Options
    spookpwaspookpwa Member Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Cleric seems a bit overpowered at the moment compared to rogue and defender.

As cleric I usually ends up with no damage at end of fight and never use my healing potions, which is quite different from the other classes when I tried them. True that fight takes a bit longer then the rogue, but I can live with that...

Fun to play though.
    [SIGPIC]
    [/SIGPIC]
    A test server is supposed to be used to properly test patches before patching anything....
  • Options
    paulmjennpaulmjenn Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think I'd like to see the clerics do a little bit more buffing/healing/knockback and less damage on release. I got each class up to 18 during the event and I loved all 3, but I find myself wondering what the wizard will even be for, since the cleric and even the guardian do pretty respectable AOE damage.

Having healed a Guardian Tower, I think we as a class need to impress on our compatriots that our heals are not very easy to precision-target, and so some degree of damage mitigation is their responsibility. I had a halfling rogue die on me several times, but I hesitate to blame myself because I never once saw her use her decoy power.
  • Options
    nethershadowsnethershadows Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    paulmjenn wrote: »
    I think I'd like to see the clerics do a little bit more buffing/healing/knockback and less damage on release. I got each class up to 18 during the event and I loved all 3, but I find myself wondering what the wizard will even be for, since the cleric and even the guardian do pretty respectable AOE damage.

Having healed a Guardian Tower, I think we as a class need to impress on our compatriots that our heals are not very easy to precision-target, and so some degree of damage mitigation is their responsibility. I had a halfling rogue die on me several times, but I hesitate to blame myself because I never once saw her use her decoy power.

Feel free to call my bluff, but if I had to guess the Control Wizard isn't going to have massive damage, but what he will have is decent damage and mass amounts of area control and possibly denial. If i had to guess in parties his job would be to apply various debuffs and status effects making everyone's life easier. That's my assumption anyway.

Edit: Also, I think Clerics should keep there damage. Allow me to give a prime game example, TERA. Although a different MMO, I know please hear me out. Like that this game is action based which means you can completely avoid damage by blocking/avoiding attacks. Now unless DnD is going to throw some impossible to dodge damage out in dungeons, it's going to get to a point where healing becomes....unrequired or very boring, much like Tera can be. So to compensate healing should truly be seen as support rather than being it's own class and we should be able to throw out a decent amount of damage with the ability to support or allies on a "As need basis"

If that makes sense. In short, the more skilled people get, the less effective heals will get. We need something to fall back on.
  • Options
    zeruinzeruin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So I'm wanting to play Cleric, but I'm torn between which race.. Human, Dwarf or Half Elf? I know Dwarves get +2 Wis and Con, Half Elves get +2 Con and Cha, and Humans get +2 Con.. but can anyone elaborate on Humans and Half Elves racial traits?

Also, for a min/maxer perspective, how much will +2 Wisdom affect a character end game? I'm not familar with D&D games, but it seems like stat bonuses are limited.
  • Options
    foolishlobsterfoolishlobster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zeruin wrote: »
    So I'm wanting to play Cleric, but I'm torn between which race.. Human, Dwarf or Half Elf? I know Dwarves get +2 Wis and Con, Half Elves get +2 Con and Cha, and Humans get +2 Con.. but can anyone elaborate on Humans and Half Elves racial traits?

Also, for a min/maxer perspective, how much will +2 Wisdom affect a character end game? I'm not familar with D&D games, but it seems like stat bonuses are limited.

Humans get +2 to whatever stat they want. I personally went Dwarf for aesthetic reasons and the Wis/Con trait. Not sure at this time how much that will make a difference in the end. But I would guess it being not a big deal.
  • Options
    daranthereddaranthered Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have to admit it was difficult to heal with precision. It's hard to use Healing Word on a rogue when they are all over the place in a fight; which they should be. I was much more comfortable with jumping in and using my AOE heals, or tabing over to my Channel Divinity, which seems to lock onto allies when you use it.

Incidentally, I went with an elf Cleric because of the bonus to wisdom.
  • Options
    braxzanabraxzana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    EDIT: Realized this wasn't in the beta forums. Nebbermind.
  • Options
    atalantamatalantam Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Indeed they do! I only got up to lvl. 8 and they are a fun class definately. Great utility.
    Home of the Amazons - Play a female character?
    Server: Mindflayer
    [EST 2008. A themed community of gamers & roleplayers]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    malvolio11malvolio11 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I only made it to 22 I believe (damn you RL) and yes the cleric was at no time in any danger of dying. Those balance issues are easily roughed out, I am sure it will be more than solved before launch.

I am more worried about the pigeon holing into a ranged spec while also looking ridiculous riding into battle with a giant earring in my main hand.
  • Options
    atalantamatalantam Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    malvolio11 wrote: »

I am more worried about the pigeon holing into a ranged spec while also looking ridiculous riding into battle with a giant earring in my main hand.

LOL this made me giggle ... and yet soo true :D
    Home of the Amazons - Play a female character?
    Server: Mindflayer
    [EST 2008. A themed community of gamers & roleplayers]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    harpers4harpers4 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    malvolio11 wrote: »

LOL! So true!
  • Options
    talmiustalmius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    they sure do
  • Options
    ithanelithanel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    In my opinion cleric is in a good spot right now, and shouldn't get more crowd control instead of damage for 2 reasons:

1. Here I have to agree with nethershadows, if your allies play really careful, i think most of the damage could be avoided. Remaining the damage of the clerics would keep them busy while waiting for the next time they have to heal.

2. The class that we get for all the CC is the control wizard. The argument "If clerics do tons of damage, why would we need a CONTROL wizard?" isn't very viable :) As I crawl through the dephts of the forum, i often see people flaming about "oh another trinity game" (trinity = tank, heal, damage dealer), now think about that: We have 4 roles! Defender, stiker, controller and leader. That's the reason why we have a leading/healing cleric, a controling wizard, striking great weapon fighter and rogue, and a leading OR defending guardian fighter.