test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Character Creation Vidoes

bitterwinterbitterwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Post edited by bitterwinter on

Comments

• doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    These are very helpful. Thank you for posting.

The Female Human links to Dwarf Male instead. Boy, she's hairy!
  • tinbender02tinbender02 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 209 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    hmmm after watching a few of those, Day 1 after 8 hrs finally created character. Stop get something to drink and realize forgot scar. AAArggghh now 12 hrs later ready to play. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *sniffs* Me want ranger
  • vyrennvyrenn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

been looking for some of these thanks a ton great post/thread
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Thank you for the links. :)
  • muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Oh hey, nice, I missed this a sec ago.

Nice to see so many sliders. Also nice to see some decent beards, nothing really epic, but still nice.
  • bitterwinterbitterwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    These are very helpful. Thank you for posting.

The Female Human links to Dwarf Male instead. Boy, she's hairy!

opps I thought I fixed this...should be ok now:)
  • kfmckfmc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Background and Deity selection!

Although, we could definitely use a TON more deities.
  • doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It's a pity that background and deity are only for color and have no game effect, but of course I can see why this was done. I hope they at least unlock titles or something cosmetic. Dialog options perhaps.
  • bitterwinterbitterwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It's a pity that background and deity are only for color and have no game effect, but of course I can see why this was done. I hope they at least unlock titles or something cosmetic. Dialog options perhaps.

Actually we're not sure about the backgrounds yet and I'm not entirely sure about deity that may come later.
  • ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    kfmc wrote: »
    Background and Deity selection!

Although, we could definitely use a TON more deities.

Not sure what you mean by a ton but alot of deities are gone in 4 ed. There's not really a ton left to choose from.
  • devilman0xdevilman0x Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Thanks for this batch of links. Whenever I see a new mmo that catches my interest what I'm able to do with character creation is a big thing for me.
    I was a bit bummed with the Tiefling options as I am tempted to use Tiefling for my characters after having enjoyed the race in NWN2.
    All in all though things are looking good.
    edited February 2013
    What about the evil deities? I believe I saw a Netheril background, but no Shar?

For reference, I find this page to be interesting: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Deities. If you look at the Circa 1479 DR Deities (right side of the page), you'd notice that what's available in the game are all the bolded neutral or good deities (plus Oghma who isn't bolded for some reason). I wouldn't mind the option of choosing deities that are under them instead. (Plus, I'm hoping that NW timeline fast forwards to when Mystra returns, even though it's extremely unlikely)

Speaking of good/neutral/evil, there's no alignment option in character creation?
    edited February 2013
    It's worth noting that alignment has absolutely no mechanical value in 4E. There are no Detect Alignment spells, no Protection from Alignment spells, and no Smite Alignment spells.

So the devs are on firm ground leaving it out of the MMO. Call yourself whatever alignment you want.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    kfmc wrote: »
    What about the evil deities? I believe I saw a Netheril background, but no Shar?

For reference, I find this page to be interesting: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Deities. If you look at the Circa 1479 DR Deities (right side of the page), you'd notice that what's available in the game are all the bolded neutral or good deities (plus Oghma who isn't bolded for some reason). I wouldn't mind the option of choosing deities that are under them instead. (Plus, I'm hoping that NW timeline fast forwards to when Mystra returns)

Speaking of good/neutral/evil, there's no alignment option in character creation?

There is a better stickied thread on deities:
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?23281-Deities-of-New-Neverwinter-Detailed

It also has spelljammer chronicles you will not find elsewhere and all deities nicely arranged.

p.s. I call it better cause I made it :p

The Netheril background is different from the Netherese who worship Shar. It is like drizzt drow who dont worship Lolth.
    edited February 2013
    It's worth noting that alignment has absolutely no mechanical value in 4E. There are no Detect Alignment spells, no Protection from Alignment spells, and no Smite Alignment spells.

So the devs are on firm ground leaving it out of the MMO. Call yourself whatever alignment you want.

iirc, there are surely items which can only be equiped with alignment.
  • gyloirgyloir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Why can you not customize the horns of male tieflings?

I hate those huge front horns the default male model has. That is majorly disappointing to me.
  • reesekracusreesekracus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

I really think this is a bad idea for them to let out alignment choices. Just like a few other items you can tailor, it is a flavor item for your characters background, and more importantly has been a part of D&D since its creation. Hopefully the devs will change their minds before launch.
  • tharkantharkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    gyloir wrote: »
    Why can you not customize the horns of male tieflings?

I hate those huge front horns the default male model has. That is majorly disappointing to me.

As much as I would like to change the horns, I would rather get rid of those...things...on the male tiefling's face. Seriously, what are those?
    edited February 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    There is a better stickied thread on deities:
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?23281-Deities-of-New-Neverwinter-Detailed

It also has spelljammer chronicles you will not find elsewhere and all deities nicely arranged.

p.s. I call it better cause I made it :p

The Netheril background is different from the Netherese who worship Shar. It is like drizzt drow who dont worship Lolth.
    Rest assured, I have read your compilation. But yeah, it's still that only Greater Gods of the neutral and good deities seems to be available.

As for the Netheril, there is a Shadovar Elite background, which makes it likely that they worship Shar moreso than any of the other deities.
    edited February 2013
    iirc, there are surely items which can only be equiped with alignment.

Not in 4E. In other editions, yes.
  • malaviniousmalavinious Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Thanks for the videos, I am going to have some work to do during the beta weekends to get my perfect half-elf crafted.
  • gyloirgyloir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    tharkan wrote: »
    As much as I would like to change the horns, I would rather get rid of those...things...on the male tiefling's face. Seriously, what are those?

Those little nub things on their cheeks? Yeah those are annoying too.

I liked playing a tiefling in NWN2 (coulda swore NWN1 had them as well, sans tail though) I remember making a character in each NWN that had small horns, and that was the kind of character I wanted to play in Neverwinter as well.
  • devilman0xdevilman0x Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    gyloir wrote: »
    Those little nub things on their cheeks? Yeah those are annoying too.

I liked playing a tiefling in NWN2 (coulda swore NWN1 had them as well, sans tail though) I remember making a character in each NWN that had small horns, and that was the kind of character I wanted to play in Neverwinter as well.

I somewhat agree, after discovering the Tiefling race in NWN2 ( cant remember if they were in NWN or not, I grew fond of the backstory/lore of the race and once I saw they were in this title i was excited. I would love to see an option to scale or do something with the horns and the 'nubs' on the face, I guess i can make my character concept work if i cant edit these options.

Course if at all possible in the future I wouldnt mind seeing an option for doing something a little more w/editing in terms of the horns and face.
    edited February 2013
    The little fleshy nubs, bumps, and not-tentacles on their faces is essentially the Tiefling equivalent to facial hair. Tiefling seem to be hairless in 4E, as a general rule, and so instead of beards and mustaches they have creepy little flesh-tendrils.

Freaks me out.
  • alexf2palexf2p Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hey guys, another (F2P.com) video with some extensive commentary of the features of character creation. Links in the comments to skip to a particular race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xePKGtYSh3o&list=UUD7HwtavpFlaBrPJoefiaCw&index=2

The video is pretty long, so worth skipping to a section if there's a particular race you want to check out. The first portion of the video goes through each races abilities and through the stats sections, etc, leaving all the appearance customization later. Also we went into a little extra detail in some places in regards to hairstyles (full 360 view front and back), hair colour, and available skin colours for each race as, like me, you guys are no doubt into that kind of thing.

One of the things, as an RPer myself, that I was really happy with was how they have handled the naming of characters. It's pretty much an open text box where you can have a single name, or use a space and give yourself a first and second name (or middle name if you have enough characters), also, you can use apostrophes and hyphens within your name as well.
    edited February 2013
    Not in 4E. In other editions, yes.

In 4e, yes. You just need to look harder :p

(3e is not something I would post about as everyone knows it, was posting about 4e only)
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Alignment items in 4e exist. But alignment is not in this MMO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    Could you show me one? Name a magic item or spell or anything in 4E which uses alignment? I'm honestly interested. I do not say this to be snarky.
    edited February 2013
    Could you show me one? Name a magic item or spell or anything in 4E which uses alignment? I'm honestly interested. I do not say this to be snarky.

I remember quoting one for truth very long ago in one of the archived threads - I think it was a sword used only by good. Its hard to find - both item and thread.

However, later in magzines and their vault, I heard they added more of these items so now there are many of them and not just one unlike before.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I remember quoting one for truth very long ago in one of the archived threads - I think it was a sword used only by good. Its hard to find - both item and thread.

However, later in magzines and their vault, I heard they added more of these items so now there are many of them and not just one unlike before.

I too had to learn this, and they are quite uncommon in 4th ed as to me having to specifically be reminded what the names are to look them up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]