test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

All decent loot must be rolled on?

mostrandomistmostrandomist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 75
edited February 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So i'm watching the live streams, and it appears as though all the loot you'd want to actually use, even temporarily (greens, blues) *Must* be rolled on and competed for.... I was under the impression that this wouldn't be the case. Coming from GW2 which has the amazing system of individual loot, which is nearly universally loved by the players of that game, why would cryptic decide to stick with a mechanic that isn't nearly as rewarding and fosters divison? Sure some of you might defend the need to roll for loot, but by and large the people who have actually been exposed to individual loot drops whether in GW2 or TL2 generally find that having to roll for any usable gear is a huge bummer. If its not too late, I implore Cryptic to change this.
Post edited by mostrandomist on

Comments

• Options
    zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Well the loot in GW2 is pretty crappy so it can afford to give everyone something. The economy pretty much dictates if you want valuable loot then it needs to be rare and not everyone will get some. Not trying to defend NWO or GW2 each has their own merits but after 5 months of GW2's loot system its going to be nice to go back to a "real" loot system.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • Options
    bejita231bejita231 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Things that were coded as red cant be used by a class, so atleast there's no excuse, GW2 imo went a bit overboard with the handouts, basically giving groups 5 diffrent sets of loot per mob for 5 players was kind of unrealistic, and devalued loot, plus the replayability of the game might even rely on rolling on loot, if people get all their loot in 10 runs people will stop playing the game
  • Options
    magmofdmagmofd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    What needs to be done at least is disabling the NEED button for gear that you can't equip to prevent accidental or *shudder* deliberate ninja looting

-Magmo
  • Options
    morhilanemorhilane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 46
    edited February 2013
    magmofd wrote: »
    What needs to be done at least is disabling the NEED button for gear that you can't equip to prevent accidental or *shudder* deliberate ninja looting

-Magmo

It's not ninja looting, everybody get equal chance of getting the loot, you just have to click greed like everybody else. /sarcasm

Although, I think that loot rolling should only have Pass and Greed. Most players will click the one that give them the most chance of getting the loot regardless if they need it or not.

But there is something I found a tiny bit annoying about the system I've seen in the streams of NWO. You have to roll on unidentified items. It's like gambling if something will be useful to you or not. I want the "unidentified" to stay though.
  • Options
    silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    There is both randomly dropped loot and loot specific to each character.

In the MMORPG.com stream you saw a chest that contained a shirt for the dwarf. Zeke from Cryptic commented that this chest generated that loot specifically for the Dwarven Cleric. Each player got their own loot from that chest.

There are also random drops that may need to be rolled for. The party leader sets the loot preferences as to whether or not rolls are necessary and for which "tiers" of loot the rolls most be made. As is the case in most MMOs.

So, if you finish an instance you should get at least one piece of good usable loot even if your luck in rolling is all bad.
  • Options
    magmofdmagmofd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    morhilane wrote: »
    But there is something I found a tiny bit annoying about the system I've seen in the streams of NWO. You have to roll on unidentified items. It's like gambling if something will be useful to you or not. I want the "unidentified" to stay though.

The unidentified items were colorcoded to tell if they were something that could possibly be used by your character

-Magmo
  • Options
    lyfebanelyfebane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 312 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    maybe could do it so can only rolll Need on items you can use, otherwise can only use greed or pass? not perfect but should be reasonable?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not evil, I am just cursed.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    agree...

and suggested in post #4 ... too quick for you ;)
  • Options
    devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    lyfebane wrote: »
    maybe could do it so can only rolll Need on items you can use, otherwise can only use greed or pass? not perfect but should be reasonable?

Pretty much do what WoW did, one cannot need items they they cannot use or not designed for them. If they were following a roll system route then they should have incorporated WoW's roll system rules. They have classes restricted to armor types yet all classess were needing on a leather item (leather, mail, and heavy/plate armor classes rolling on the leather armor).

Also identifying items are gonna be a real pita if it's gonna be like what is shown in the stream. Identifying items should have been on rare items not on 5 min duration.
  • Options
    devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    The unidentified items were colorcoded to tell if they were something that could possibly be used by your character

-Magmo

That is a poor system, classes will have different build stats that they go for. Take WoW, depending on what one desires classes will go after different stats, while yes all stats of that type is beneficial however there are a few key stats one would go after.

Really this whole identification system should be thrown out the window considering how that they are itemizing their gear just like in typical RPG MMOs and nothing like D&D.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'll say this:

Not only is there individual personal drop only stuff for each player, the magic item distribution has MULTIPLE distribution systems available to the party leader, Need or Greed or Pass being default. NDA is still up so I can't detail it, but you'll learn soon enough Friday.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013

-Magmo

Defenitely agree with this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    That is a poor system, classes will have different build stats that they go for. Take WoW, depending on what one desires classes will go after different stats, while yes all stats of that type is beneficial however there are a few key stats one would go after.

Really this whole identification system should be thrown out the window considering how that they are itemizing their gear just like in typical RPG MMOs and nothing like D&D.

While its not exactly D&D'esque it is very intriguing and gives the comapn y another form of monetization that doesnt go with P2W. I am perfectly fine with this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    zylaxx wrote: »
    While its not exactly D&D'esque it is very intriguing and gives the comapn y another form of monetization that doesnt go with P2W. I am perfectly fine with this.

I wouldn't mind an identifying mechanic one rare loot but when you have it on every item then that's just ridiculous. Which even on rare loot it really isn't counter-intuitive to MMOs. What happens when the item is a marginal upgrade to one yet a significant upgrade to another? There is no was to determine this.
  • Options
    dodgingmetdodgingmet Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    You'll be able to get a piece of loot at the end of a dungeon in a chest which only you can have and is useful for your class. Everyone gets one piece each. So you'll win something regardless.
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    So wait....party leader can set for say...random awards as opposed to need or greed rolls? I think it's commonly called "round robin" or some such.

I personally do not like need or greed systems as it causes conflict. Much better to just get your drops randomly and trade up when the run's over......unless loot is bind on pickup, which is the worst kind of crud to pull. Bind on equip is great, but please, Cryptic/PW...no bind on pickup.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    tewbsawks47tewbsawks47 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    i have 3 more promo codes from the last issue of pc gamer for Everwinter mounts.
    already gave away one for free.