test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

My thoughts on combat

deemiendeemien Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 14 Arc User
edited March 2013 in The Library
Watching the control wizard video based on combat this morning. I know it's not reality but his arms should have fallen off with how fast he was spamming. And I'm afraid my arms are going to if I try to play.

I guess I'm at a point where I am very tired of anime thousand mile per hour cartoon combat, and would much rather it look a bit more like I picture it in my mind when reading a forgotten realms book. Fluid and powerful. The underhand delivery of one of the abilities is close, however could be slower and the landing of it should be BOOOOM!!@!!@!.

The pew pew pewpewpewpwepewpewpewpew lightning fast is worrying me.

Guess we will see. I wish i could suggest this to all dev teams going forward.

Slow it down, make it look realistic with nice animations.. and have the payoff make the character feel powerful and you have a winner.
Post edited by deemien on

Comments

• Options
    braxzanabraxzana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    While I agree combat in some games can be TOO fast and flashy --- especially when you get a whole team throwing powers around --- I certainly don't want them to fall into the trap of being TOO slow. I was playing Neverwinter Nights 2 recently and it took so long between my attacks, I thought I had not actually triggered an attack. I ended up making a monk with Flurry of Blows mode to come CLOSE to feeling tolerably fast in attack speed. It's a fine line to walk between too much chaos and speed and grabbing a soda while your character attacks. :)
  • Options
    deemiendeemien Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    braxzana wrote: »
    While I agree combat in some games can be TOO fast and flashy --- especially when you get a whole team throwing powers around --- I certainly don't want them to fall into the trap of being TOO slow. I was playing Neverwinter Nights 2 recently and it took so long between my attacks, I thought I had not actually triggered an attack. I ended up making a monk with Flurry of Blows mode to come CLOSE to feeling tolerably fast in attack speed. It's a fine line to walk between too much chaos and speed and grabbing a soda while your character attacks. :)

Absolutely! I suppose my preference is for combat to emulate how I picture it when I'm reading a forgotten realms book, and not something similar to a DragonballZ cartoon lol.
  • Options
    nem07nem07 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If you get a chance, check out DC online combat, I am assuming it will be similiar and it was very fun imo
  • Options
    somthgelsesomthgelse Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 47
    edited March 2013
    While I can understand that some people feel pressure to click buttons fast and it can cause stress and burnout, the preference for me is fast. I get tense waiting for things to happen in that Middle Earth game. And like someone else said, sometimes I think I haven't actually activated an atttack, when I already have, and I even get the message, "that's not available now" because it's already activated, just waiting to go off. ZZzzzzz......

I'm more comfortable with the game behaving at the speed my brain is operating at than at a "realistic" speed, whatever that is. We could debate reality forever, but we're still in a fantasy world. And I think it's more fun to blast things to bits and have a sense of speed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    When the going gets tough, the tough get a trusty longsword and get to work!
  • Options
    thrynsystthrynsyst Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The video referenced is an older one, and there has been supposedly a re-work of the Control Wizard, so what was shown may not be the same as what the CBWE will bring. We will know in due course...
  • Options
    zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    \The combat is no where near as fast and flashy/colorful as a Asian MMO. I think NWO is perfect blend of speed, agility and action.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark