test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Technical: Lighting / Vision

braxzanabraxzana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 215 Arc User
edited February 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I realize no one who CAN answer is ALLOWED to just yet, but I've got time to kill and thoughts to ponder... :D

In particular, I was wondering about the light levels in NWO and the different vision types that some races have. In Everquest-1 (dating myself a bit here), at night if there were NO sources of light, humans were almost literally blind, staring at a black screen.

Humans had to carry a torch or some other light source to be able to see. By contrast, wood elves had infravision that let them see their surroundings somewhat better and illuminated warm bodies like infrared vision WOULD... my preferred race, the Dark Elves, had "ultravision" which cast the world in a sort of blue tint but otherwise was nearly as clear as daylight (no heat-form lighting-up).

In Neverwinter Nights 2, I recently looted some magic items that gave red or purple glows to the area around my character... while the glow was visible, I had not yet ventured into an area where I NEEDED the light --- I could still see just fine without it.

So basically I'm musing about how NWO will handle lighting and special racial vision types.... will they have TRUE darkest-dark nights requiring humans to use a light source where non-human races can use their special vision... or will there always be an ambient amount of light such that no one really needs a light source or benefits from their racial vision.

As I type that, I dimly remember reading or hearing in a video someone mention that it was possible to create a nearly-totally-dark room/cave in the Foundry but the person went on to say that all player characters have a glow AROUND the character so that you could not really make it -entirely- dark...

Like weather effects, seasonal effects and night/day cycles, the way lighting is handled is one of those peripheral concerns that won't exactly make or break the game but can certainly contribute to the "wow" factor.
Post edited by braxzana on

Comments

• iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    There are some nice lighting (or no lighting if you wish) effects that are possible, but a very dim lighting is always around the character themselves.

Racial lighting is not done unfortunately.

Since the lighting is around the character in all states show this in all demo videos, I thought it OK to share.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • braxzanabraxzana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Thanks, Truthseeker. I suppose having everyone on equal footing is more important (and easier to code!) than having the different racial "vision powers"... I was so comfortable playing dark elves and the cool blue cast to the game, whenever I played another race I was shocked at how the world looked in "natural" light (or dark). :)
  • muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    While I would love to see the game have racial vision types, like old EQ, it's kind of a waste of time now. Just grab the gamma slider, and you never have darkness. To bad the devs can't figure out a way to disable gamma adjustments, (in game and hardware based), and force people to deal with the darkness; then racial vision types would be relevant again, and add another dimension to the game play.