test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I hope that Cryptic doesn't make cheaper Spider mounts...

garrettroguegarrettrogue Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 71
edited February 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Basically I am hoping that when I shell out 200 bucks that I don't see a cheaper replica Spider mount come out later. I want to be one of the original spider mount guys. :)

It would be a slap in the face to those that donate I think.
Post edited by garrettrogue on

Comments

• Options
    mazarenmazaren Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 67
    edited February 2013
    I feel the same the people who shelled out the money should stand out more then those who might say only spend 5-10 dollars
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xearrikxearrik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Basically I am hoping that when I shell out 200 bucks that I don't see a cheaper replica Spider mount come out later. I want to be one of the original spider mount guys. :)

Agreed. This would disappoint me as well. I don't want to find out that 200 dollars was for stuff that I can later get for a total of 70 bucks.
    Da kitties don't speak for me, deez kitties speak fur us all!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'll Keep this up till beta goes live. I'll improve it soon.
  • Options
    shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Any problem with unarmored spider mounts?
  • Options
    mazarenmazaren Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 67
    edited February 2013
    still it should be unique mount that founders should only get i think.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tinbender02tinbender02 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 209 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    You will see other spider mounts of some sort after all there will be many drow running around. Also they need "cool" things to sell in the shop.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *sniffs* Me want ranger
  • Options
    normanoftharnormanofthar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 39
    edited February 2013
    Well the "jump to head of the line" for queues is worth a fair bit just by itself IMO. I'm not sure but I can remember in quite a few other games queues lasting up to a couple hours. How do you put a price on cutting in line? :)
  • Options
    pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    And here most peeps say they spend 200$ to help "support" the game but we can now see that's not really the case. I for one hope they do like in other games of theirs and add all these items in the cash shop after awhile atleast when it comes to the items, I dont care if the forum titles remain exclusive for those needing that kind of thing.

I feel like this because otherwise this just promotes elitism and and a p2w attitude.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • Options
    shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    mazaren wrote: »
    still it should be unique mount that founders should only get i think.
    Both packs define their mount as "Unique", whichs means one per deck... er... wrong game here. The thing is that there is an armored horse in the Guardian one and yet, that's no problem to have other kind of horses too. Hero gets unique armored spider, so there shouldn't be any issue with some other kind of spider mount, like an unarmored one.
  • Options
    pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    shiaika wrote: »
    Both packs define their mount as "Unique", whichs means one per deck... er... wrong game here. The thing is that there is an armored horse in the Guardian one and yet, that's no problem to have other kind of horses too. Hero gets unique armored spider, so there shouldn't be any issue with some other kind of spider mount, like an unarmored one.

Rather they will probably add other armored spyders that look cooler or have different armor skins etc. Just go look at the FW cash mounts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • Options
    garrettroguegarrettrogue Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 71
    edited February 2013
    shiaika wrote: »

Give them their unarmored spiders... We pay premium for our armored ones!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    pilf3r wrote: »
    Rather they will probably add other armored spyders that look cooler or have different armor skins etc. Just go look at the FW cash mounts.
    Pesonally, for all I truly care, they can put the Hero one on the shop. Altough being called "Unique", I'd expect some exclusivity beyond the ability to be able to pay in the shop.

"Armored Spider Mount Clones" as you comment? I'm fine with them. If they are different, even if it's just the textures, they are not the same to me. Certainly, it'd be quite cheap to do just a simple retexture and put it in the shop, but the Hero one would be still "Unique" and not accesible to those without the pack.

I've payed 189.99€ for the spider, the panther, the background, the clothing,... and to support Cryptic even if all the items of the hero pack end in the shop at any point in time.
  • Options
    geddings12geddings12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I agree. The spider mounts should be unique looking! Honestly i was kinda hoping the entire Moonstone tavern was going to be VIP only now that would have been really cool honestly but i understand why not at least i do hope that the VIP area is really cool maybe have rooftop acess or something like that :-) we shall see!
  • Options
    skinneykrnskinneykrn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 62
    edited February 2013
    If it's anything like how they handled Raiderz, the spider mount most definitely will NOT be unique.

In Raiderz, they sold the Black Arrod Mount specifically in their Founder's Pack only and said the Black Arrod Mount will NOT be sold ever in their shop and that they would stop selling the Founder's Pack once the Raiderz open beta began.

What ended up happening was, the Founders Pack sale continued for a short time after the open beta began and then PWE even said they'll continue to sell them for a long while.
    This enraged the community because now there was basically nothing special about buying these "exclusive" Founder's Packs. Because of all the complaints, PWE finally decided to stop selling the Founder's Packs.

Shortly after the open beta launch, PWE introduces the WHITE Arrod mount, which looks pretty damn identical to the Black one, except it's white with blue flames.
    And just last week, PWE introduced the RED Arrod mount. See the pattern here?
  • Options
    arythorarythor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I can understand that some people would be upset if the armoured spider mount, or a similar version, was made available to people who did not purchase the Hero of the North Founder's Pack. It is a simple matter of scarcity correlating to value; the fewer armoured spider mounts there are, the more value they have, predominantly as some sort of mark of social status.

However, I would not particularly mind, especially if the cost was suitably high. I know how much I dislike missing out on things simply because I joined a game too late and the cool pre-launch items are no longer available. I do not think it makes sense from a business perspective or a customer relations perspective to deny people who want these items to be able to get them at a later date.

After all, how long do you think you will really care about the armoured spider mount? A week? A month? Maybe a year, at most! There will be other mounts, some probably cooler, so eventually I do not think most would mind the armoured spider mount being generally available.

Also, as you can tell, I bought a Hero of the North Founder's Pack, so it is not as though I am looking out for myself. I bought the pack for what it is, a way to support Cryptic and get some cool perks, not as a way to be able to stand out with exclusive gear.
  • Options
    amorraamorra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    skinneykrn wrote: »
    Shortly after the open beta launch, PWE introduces the WHITE Arrod mount, which looks pretty damn identical to the Black one, except it's white with blue flames.
    And just last week, PWE introduced the RED Arrod mount. See the pattern here?
    However the white (and red) Arrod mounts are NOT the black Arrod mount. So it is still unique. If you think x color is cooler looking than y, that is a personal opinion and does not make on less 'unique' than the other. Unless you can buy the exact mount or pet from the packages (texture, color and graphic) it is still technically unique.

Personally I bought the package for the instant access to the foundry. I have come to expect re-skins of existing models to show up in cash shops so that is not a big deal to me. And I fear I cannot personally understand why others are making a big deal out of it if they've played F2P w/Cash shop games before.
  • Options
    castagyrecastagyre Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    SOE has done the same thing with mounts in their expansions for EQ2. Give a unique mount with a pre-purchase or special edition of the xpac and then sell the same mount that's a different color in the cash shop or make it otherwise available in game. No biggie in my opinion.
    Remembering Hanlon's Razor can save one a lot on aspirines.
  • Options
    denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I don't really want to be aggressive, but i have to say something. This is the fact: you spent $ 200 for some objects in a future game you may (or may not) have already tried. This fact doesn't make you special: while it can make you a better customer to PW's eyes, i don't think they won't sell the spider mount post-launch for only this reason.
    Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    visionstorm01visionstorm01 Member Posts: 561 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    And here most peeps say they spend 200$ to help "support" the game but we can now see that's not really the case. I for one hope they do like in other games of theirs and add all these items in the cash shop after awhile atleast when it comes to the items, I dont care if the forum titles remain exclusive for those needing that kind of thing.

I feel like this because otherwise this just promotes elitism and and a p2w attitude.

I agree and feel pretty much the same way (even in games where I make similar investments, such as CO, which I don't intend to make here). If you're really just "supporting" the game it shouldn't matter, plus its a risk early adopters take. I bought a $200 LTS in TSW and the game went B2P for just $30 or less a few months later. And its something that happens in other industries as well, where you can end up getting things like TVs and other electronics much cheaper if you buy them later down the line--even in the video game industry games often reduce their box prices after a while.

I also never really got this "exclusive" entitlement attitude some people have about what they buy in games, and especially about cosmetic things like special mounts, which might be necessary for certain character concepts. We shouldn't have to be expected to be there at launch and ditch ridiculous amounts of cash to get something we may need to realize a character concept, or be prevented from making them because we got in later in the game.
    I agree and feel pretty much the same way (even in games where I make similar investments, such as CO, which I don't intend to make here). If you're really just "supporting" the game it shouldn't matter, plus its a risk early adopters take. I bought a $200 LTS in TSW and the game went B2P for just $30 or less a few months later. And its something that happens in other industries as well, where you can end up getting things like TVs and other electronics much cheaper if you buy them later down the line--even in the video game industry games often reduce their box prices after a while.

I also never really got this "exclusive" entitlement attitude some people have about what they buy in games, and especially about cosmetic things like special mounts, which might be necessary for certain character concepts. We shouldn't have to be expected to be there at launch and ditch ridiculous amounts of cash to get something we may need to realize a character concept, or be prevented from making them because we got in later in the game.

They advertised the items as "exclusive". I am just saying that I would expect it to stay that way and I think others would as well.
  • Options
    silestesileste Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Was about to write something of the same thing.

This thread is funny. xD
    NWDC-2_zps52f863ab.png
  • Options
    mosnacky01mosnacky01 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

sileste wrote: »
    Was about to write something of the same thing.

This thread is funny. xD

It is simply idiotic to classify a custom mount as pay to win, but like Stormdragon said over a year ago, some folks will whine "P2W" no matter what. :rolleyes:
    No woman should marry before she has slain her tenth man.-:Vartha Do'Urden
  • Options
    xaxiusshadowxaxiusshadow Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited February 2013

I bought it and I don't care. Whatever Cryptic can do to monetize the game so that they can continue to grow their team and pump out new content, I'm in favor for so long that it isn't p2w. If that means coming out with 101 variations of the Spider Mount, so be it.

The value in the pack for me is the priority log-in, the guaranteed beta access, the extra character slots, and the friend beta ticket. The rest is just nice to haves.
  • Options
    sirsitsalotsirsitsalot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Ah yes... the old "slap in the face" line...

Frankly, I wouldn't care if they broke down some of the individual items from the $200 pack and sold them individually at 1/X of the package price where X is the number of items from the package being sold individually. So if they sell the spider mount and the panther individually, they would each cost $100. Of course, if someone were to buy both, they wouldn't get the other perks that come with the package. And after launch some of those perks such as beta access will be rendered moot.

I do not mind the sale of individual components that comprise these packages. Perhaps the art for these elements could be slightly changed so that they can be differentiated between the founder package and the individual element purchase. That way everyone can have a panther and a spider mount if they want it, but the only way to get the exact one founders get would be to have purchased the founders' package.

Maybe the spider has different markings. Maybe the panther has got different colored eyes. Something minor but noticable.
    I'm not really a John Galt,
    but I play one on the forums...
    :P
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I'm all for the game being successful and I want Cryptic to do what they have to do to fund this game. I was just expressing my concerns about their "exclusive" advertisement. I noticed a lot of the people that are counter commenting against what I had to say don't even have a pack yet. Maybe I'm sensing a little bit of jealousy. Either way you can't call a mount and a cosmetic costume pay to win.
  • Options
    visionstorm01visionstorm01 Member Posts: 561 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I'm all for the game being successful and I want Cryptic to do what they have to do to fund this game. I was just expressing my concerns about their "exclusive" advertisement. I noticed a lot of the people that are counter commenting against what I had to say don't even have a pack yet. Maybe I'm sensing a little bit of jealousy. Either way you can't call a mount and a cosmetic costume pay to win.

Yup, I'm as jealous as I was when I consistently supported a cash shop Freeform option for silver (non-subscribers) players option in CO, despite being an LTS'er in the game and Freeform being widely considered by the majority of subscribers in the community an "exclusive" subscriber feature and the one redeeming feature of subscriptions in the game. And about as jealous as I was when they finally did offer such a feature in the cash shop for the ridiculous sum of $50* and I complained about the pricing in the forums despite not needing one being already an LTS'er.

I just don't consider this pack to be "worth" the $200, much less the $549 they claim its worth. Hence, I refuse to buy it despite having spent similar amounts or more in other games (including CO, which is also a game from Cryptic).

*for a single feature for a single newly created character when the typical cost of an entire game is usually just $10 above that and a $300 LTS (just 6 times that price) gives you 16 freeform slots and a host of other features, including potentially infinite Freeform slots, since subscribers get an free slot per each character they take to max level.
    Not saying the packs are play to win but claiming it is only mount and cosmetics is false.

a quick glance shows a companion that will fight with you.
    a masterwork weapon with enchantment.
    a treaure box that delivers a unique weapon wiht enchantment.

Again not saying this is game breaking or play to win but lets not ignore it either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *sniffs* Me want ranger
  • Options
    silestesileste Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    mosnacky01 wrote: »
    It is simply idiotic to classify a custom mount as pay to win, but like Stormdragon said over a year ago, some folks will whine "P2W" no matter what. :rolleyes:
    :rolleyes:

I said I wanted to say something of the same thing. Of course mounts aren't P2W items unless they have some mechanic that one hits anyone who didn't buy the founders pack. xD

I am agreeing on the fact that the same people who don't like others complaining about the pack and claim to have brought it to support the game, are now complaining they don't want anyone else to have a mount somewhat similar to their own. When they release a recolor of the mounts, a lot of people will want it because they couldn't get it from packs. That will give the company more income to help "support" the game.

LOL so anyone who doesn't want to cough up the money and agree with everything you say are poor and jealous? Nice logic you have there.
    NWDC-2_zps52f863ab.png
  • Options
    voodoopapavoodoopapa Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This is perfect world.

Expect to see it in lock boxes from time to time.
  • Options
    mosnacky01mosnacky01 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    voodoopapa wrote: »
    This is perfect world.

Expect to see it in lock boxes from time to time.

And oddly I don't have a problem with that, as long as they aren't like SWTOR and you are practically guaranteed the uber mount if you buy a key, give a chance...but no more than a chance.
    No woman should marry before she has slain her tenth man.-:Vartha Do'Urden
  • Options
    dizzy000dizzy000 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 39
    edited February 2013
    sileste wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

I said I wanted to say something of the same thing. Of course mounts aren't P2W items unless they have some mechanic that one hits anyone who didn't buy the founders pack. xD

That would be Awesome HAHAHA
    The Liver is Evil and must be punished!! Drink More Beer!