test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Neverwinter looks set to be THE D&D MMO of choice!! Watch out competition!

2»

Comments

• Options
    aragoharagoh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Haven't seen anyone hate paying players. Have seen lots of people upset because they think Cryptic ummm didn't quite keep their word that the cash store would be fluff items only. But I could be wrong about why people are posting.

That is the funny thing though, we have seen some founders pack items that they have released which are all basically common f2p mmo fair in this age. And nobody has even seen the rest of the cash-shop, most of the hate going around the forums now is for two reasons.

1. They can't afford a founders pack and feel left out so they are just going to hate on it.
    2. They are spoiled children who want something for nothing and anything the cash shop has is going to be "pay 2 win" these are the same people that plagued the GW2 boards before that game came out. They will be gone after the first weekend though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Credit: Syreian: Devient Art
  • Options
    xearrikxearrik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    And the sad thing is that all of them don't relies how transparent their ranting is.
    Da kitties don't speak for me, deez kitties speak fur us all!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'll Keep this up till beta goes live. I'll improve it soon.
  • Options
    brewsterxbrewsterx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    aragoh wrote: »
    That is the funny thing though, we have seen some founders pack items that they have released which are all basically common f2p mmo fair in this age. And nobody has even seen the rest of the cash-shop, most of the hate going around the forums now is for two reasons.

1. They can't afford a founders pack and feel left out so they are just going to hate on it.
    2. They are spoiled children who want something for nothing and anything the cash shop has is going to be "pay 2 win" these are the same people that plagued the GW2 boards before that game came out. They will be gone after the first weekend though.

No, that isn't what the hate is about. The hate is about the fact that we know hardly anything about the game. The hate is about the fact that we have no idea what the true value of the items in these packs are. The hate is about the fact that we've even been told the cash store isn't finalized, which means the value of these items could be greater or less than what's advertised.
  • Options
    xearrikxearrik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    brewsterx wrote: »
    No, that isn't what the hate is about. The hate is about the fact that we know hardly anything about the game. The hate is about the fact that we have no idea what the true value of the items in these packs are. The hate is about the fact that we've even been told the cash store isn't finalized, which means the value of these items could be greater or less than what's advertised.

And did you spend money on it? If not, then why cry? Regardless of the value of the pack that's lots of money for cryptic. Which means its less likely you will have to drop a single dollar to support the game... Even if you did buy the packs, your complaining about their value when you have no idea what they are worth...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    brewsterxbrewsterx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    xearrik wrote: »
    And did you spend money on it? If not, then why cry? Regardless of the value of the pack that's lots of money for cryptic. Which means its less likely you will have to drop a single dollar to support the game... Even if you did buy the packs, your complaining about their value when you have no idea what they are worth...

No, we're complaining about the fact that we have no idea what they're worth. We're complaining about the fact that someone is trying to sell us something but also saying that they haven't finalized the cost of those items, or whether they would even be for sale outside of the pack.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    You basically double posted... And your logic is flawed. I'll break it down for you lol.
    No, we're complaining about the fact that we have no idea what they're worth.

False. They said what they are worth. If you don't believe them don't buy it. Why stand around and complain about it?

We're complaining about the fact that someone is trying to sell us something but also saying that they haven't finalized the cost of those items, or whether they would even be for sale outside of the pack.

Quote where it was said that the cost of all the items listed are not finalized. Why do you even care? You don't want it, don't buy it... Don't bash others for buying something they clearly want.

See its this simple. If you go into a restaurant and see a meal that is too expensive or seems nasty, you don't buy it. You don't stand up and make loud obnoxious proclamations about the item on the menu.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    daxiongmao87daxiongmao87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 58
    edited February 2013
    xearrik wrote: »
    You basically double posted... And your logic is flawed. I'll break it down for you lol.

False. They said what they are worth. If you don't believe them don't buy it. Why stand around and complain about it?

Sorry but this irks me. Go to a dealership and have the car salesman tell you how much the car is worth, and you'll be out a few thousand dollars over it's actual value. Just because the salesman tells you the price of something, does not finalize the value of that product. The value of a product is solely based on what the buyer is willing to pay for it. So if the majority of the people will not purchase the product, its safe to say that the product is not "worth" the price offered.
  • Options
    devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    From what I have seen of the gameplay and graphics, Neverwinter looks set to hold it's own against some of the other 'AAA' releases this year. Most notably is ESO, but since that is not til late this year, I think there will be room for both. I truly hope that this is a Sleeper hit, and takes off, for not only the health of the game, but for the simple fact that "There has NOT been a single DECENT Forgotten Realms MMORPG, EVER!'. I know DDO is now got content in the FR, but you have to be at least level 17 (which equates to level 85 in other MMOS) so you wont see anything FR related until the elder game.

I have faith in Cryptic to pull this off, which is why I spent the $200 on the Founder (Plus I have ALWAYS been a HUGE Drizzit Fan!! ZOMG!!) and anything remote to him is going to be mine! :)

One Request, please release with the game a decent sized PDF manual, I love Manuals, and perhaps we could get WOTC to put up Drizzit's current RPG stats - I would be interested in seeing them!

Gameplay and graphics aren't everything. And comparing to ESO is comparing apples to oranges. And I doubt they are competing against the major AAA titles. Neverwinter is targeting the small niche crowd of D&D and modder fans. What the real reason for moving to F2P is anyone's guess but that fact alone makes it not contending with other AAA titles. Neverwinter will be a game like GW2 that one can pick up and put down at one's leisure. If it was really competing then there will be a whole lot more features added to the game like PvP, raids, mini games, ect ect. Neverwinter will be a great inbetween MMO or break from one's main MMO but they have shown nothing to show that they are contending with giant MMOs.

As far as competing with DDO, well.... I hate and loathe DDO but I'm getting the feeling that DDO will still remain your traditional D&D game and that is if Turbine doesn't do a reboot like GW2. All they really need is a serious engine overhaul and finish their PrEs and they'll be some serious competition. Neverwinter is more actiony. It's like comparing Demon Stone to IWD. Feats appear to have been done away with, healing surges are out, gear itemization is WoWified, and whatever else I forgot and whats to come. Game looks fun but it clearly is losing that D&D feel to me, then again we have nothing to go off of.

I hope Neverwinter does it's best and does well but doubtful it'll be a great phenomenal success like the major AAA MMOs, just look at forum sites besides here. There is an overwhelming negative attitude against Cryptic and Neverwinter. But really why bother competing, being F2P and a suppose "convenience and cosmetic" only cash shop makes it not a competitor at all since most people bonce around anyways and periodically come back whatever MMOs.
  • Options
    devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    aragoh wrote: »

3. People see the value is nowhere near the price tag at all in the founders pack and don't like getting ripped off. These people see this as a Beta Access sales pitch and will take no part in it. I'll support Cryptic by using the C-Store for items I want and not just because I want immediate CB access.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    mosnacky01 wrote: »
    I honestly, can't see how DDO can begin to compete, it's version of the realms feels very tacked on and uninspired, and it still isn't a open world it's a lobby game for all practical purposes.

Because it retains the core mechanics of 3.5e like THACO, trap skills, multi classing, spell stuff, more tactical, AC building, ect ect. I hate to say but I really do think that DDO will be more D&D accurate while Neverwinter will be you arcade action console game of D&D. Once they release their enhancement overhaul it'll breathe some new life into it, but if they ever upgrade their engine and fix the age old performance issues then they'll be some serious competition.
  • Options
    daxiongmao87daxiongmao87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 58
    edited February 2013
    Because it retains the core mechanics of 3.5e like THACO, trap skills, multi classing, spell stuff, more tactical, AC building, ect ect. I hate to say but I really do think that DDO will be more D&D accurate while Neverwinter will be you arcade action console game of D&D. Once they release their enhancement overhaul it'll breathe some new life into it, but if they ever upgrade their engine and fix the age old performance issues then they'll be some serious competition.

And this may be just opinion, but I've always thought Faerun > Khyber. DDO stated they will be adding more Faerun content :)
  • Options
    hainorhainor Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    DDO's graphics are outdated, it's an incredibly old game. But as for your "traditional MMO" comment. DDO is far from it.

DDO is a great game, excellent voicechat fun with friends & the new content is great to. Having said that I'm waiting to see the feedback after the BETA for Neverwinter - i can happily play both & if they are 2 differing styles but D&D themed then I'll be happy.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    And this may be just opinion, but I've always thought Faerun > Khyber. DDO stated they will be adding more Faerun content :)

I agree, hate Eberron and robot land. I say DDO is D&Dish because the systems they use are closer to D&D like feats, AC, spells (however I think they screwed the pooch on CC though, no MMO should be where one can simpely CC all the mobs and everyone flails on them which is one of the reason I grew tired of DDOs quests real quickly), character building (I don't think we have that option here and while 4e there is no multiclassing but there are class building that I fear will be absent in NW).

DDO I just could never get immersed in the world with and am hoping NW will have that at least.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    hainor wrote: »
    DDO is a great game, excellent voicechat fun with friends & the new content is great to. Having said that I'm waiting to see the feedback after the BETA for Neverwinter - i can happily play both & if they are 2 differing styles but D&D themed then I'll be happy.

The only reason why the voice chat is great is because it's functional and there but really the voice chat is a POS, all the guilds I've been in use alternative 3rd part chat like mumble or teamspeak or vent and only use the game's voicechat as a last resort. Great for pug groups but isn't of great or notable quality.
  • Options
    providenttprovidentt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Wrong. You, sir, are incorrect. Nobody has a good idea about how the questing in The Elder Scrolls Online is going to be, which makes you wrong. It may turn out to be generic mmo fare, and it may not. And yet we know about ESO than we do about Neverwinter, which is a little strange considering the time frame in which they plan on releasing Neverwinter. I'm not saying anything bad about Neverwinter itself, merely pointing out how you're making points with zero facts.

Jesse Cox (at youtube.com/jessecox) was invited to the ZeniMax offices to play the game a few months ago. He has since put out several videos describing the questing system and everything he has seen about the game. We do indeed know about this stuff.

Edit: This video specifically details the questing system. The quests are generic quests we've seen everywhere. Where it differs is the effect the quests have on the world. The game uses an advanced phasing system like MoP to change to world depending on each character's contribution. NPCs that one person saved will be visible to that person, while being absent from the perspective of someone who didn't save them.