test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Exploration within in the world? Also some foundry questions.

aragoharagoh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hello all, I am new to posting but have been lurking for the past couple of months now and I have a few unanswered questions I was hoping the community could clear up.

1. With the revealing of mounts I was just curious if we are going to be able to explore a large open part of the sub-continent of Faerun or are we just going to be sticking inside the city of Neverwinter for a time?

2. How free is the foundry? What is really drawing me to this game is the prospect of making my own campaigns to play through with my friends and also for the community to enjoy, I fancy myself as a lover of all things fantasy and think I can come up with some pretty cool stuff?

I have not been able to find a lot of foundry information so I was just curious how much freedom I am going to get while making stuff in the foundry, such as Loot distribution?(I don't want the foundry turning into an easy place for people to get free loot on the cheap) Progression of story?(Will I be able to tier my campaigns together in chapters like a story?

Any help in answering some of my basic questions would be of great help and appreciated. Thank you for reading and I hope to see you all in beta!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Credit: Syreian: Devient Art
Post edited by aragoh on

Comments

• zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Good questions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    1. The game consists of both The City of Neverwinter and the surrounding areas. You will not be stuck *inside* the city...for long.

2. There's really very little information released on how much will be charged for within The Foundry. They claim it will be widely accessible though with a number of free slots and method both free and paid to expand the number of module slots you can use. The one thing I can tell you is that it *will* be free to use and the amount of free Foundry Content is extensive.
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pn7iU4EwTc this is about foundry and world how much i know will be zoned in big zones and city in few
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    aragoh wrote: »
    2. How free is the foundry? What is really drawing me to this game is the prospect of making my own campaigns to play through with my friends and also for the community to enjoy, I fancy myself as a lover of all things fantasy and think I can come up with some pretty cool stuff?

I have not been able to find a lot of foundry information so I was just curious how much freedom I am going to get while making stuff in the foundry, such as Loot distribution?(I don't want the foundry turning into an easy place for people to get free loot on the cheap) Progression of story?(Will I be able to tier my campaigns together in chapters like a story?

Any help in answering some of my basic questions would be of great help and appreciated. Thank you for reading and I hope to see you all in beta!

When you think of the foundry, think of a DM in PnP designing his campaign for party. You have large Lego box with limited tiles which you arrange. Your table is small, but you can always wipe off and use the same table again for next part - etc. Many similarities.

As for what you can come up with - depends on your imagination and hard-work. There will be some compromises, like sometimes you will just have to put something in dialog and describe to players it happened, sometimes you can show it to them in real time.

You can do a lot of cool stuff.

In terms of tool, things are limited, but if you compromise a bit - a lot of things can be done. Remember they wont allow anything which can lead to exploiting of foundry as many exploiters are waiting in the bushes and they outnumber the foundry authors.

Yes you can do more than just tying up your quests in campaign.

Liten to me, its very cool. You can also make sandbox quest (actually wrongly called sandbox but its real name is non-linear). However, it was not designed for you to make sandbox quests, so you have to work hard in your story. Other foundry authors would be there to help you and even devs will sometimes listen to you if you are persistent and patient.
    edited January 2013

2. There's really very little information released on how much will be charged for within The Foundry. They claim it will be widely accessible though with a number of free slots and method both free and paid to expand the number of module slots you can use. The one thing I can tell you is that it *will* be free to use and the amount of free Foundry Content is extensive.

Actually there are a lot of tutorials by devs on youtube which make a lot of things very clear. You just need to listen to them again and again. All info on foundry is already out there.
  • lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Actually there are a lot of tutorials by devs on youtube which make a lot of things very clear. You just need to listen to them again and again. All info on foundry is already out there.

Maybe you should add the video tutorial links to your FAQ section on the foundry. It might handle a few of the questions.
  • meldrothmeldroth Member Posts: 137 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    aragoh wrote: »

According to the Devs and some higher ups in Cryptic, they will NOT be monetizing the Foundry at all. The rationale for this makes perfect sense: Players who make great content in the Foundry are basically working for Cryptic for free. More content = More stuff to do = More players and more loyal players. So according to some videos of devs talking about the foundry, everything will be free in there. They want to encourage you to make content, not discourage you.

As for what you can do, I understand that we will be able to make dev quality stuff.
    "Truth is absolute, so if you truly seek it, you can find only one answer."
    edited January 2013
    lanessar13 wrote: »
    Maybe you should add the video tutorial links to your FAQ section on the foundry. It might handle a few of the questions.

I do not have FAs, truth does - and bitterwinter already maintains the foundry videos.

But CB will not have any NDA, so what is the point of doing all the hardwork for 2 days?

Just youtube combinations of "cryptic" "Neverwinter" "foundry" "craig" and "tutorial"

One such combo yields:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_7WgszhNN4&playnext=1&list=PL0754E84381618810&feature=results_main

After that check out STO foundry to have more details about tabs - they are very similar in functionality.

Or take what I say on trust basis.
    And come after me with pitchfork when I am wrong
  • cold006cold006 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    To aragoh

I think your also wanting to know, like myself, if players can create outdoor zones( like a town) as well as indoor zones(such as a inn). is this right?
  • crok2crok2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    cold006 wrote: »
    To aragoh

I think your also wanting to know, like myself, if players can create outdoor zones( like a town) as well as indoor zones(such as a inn). is this right?

You can create both. You can choose an empty slate so to speak and place every thing yourself. You can link the maps so the person starts outdoors and goes to your indoor map. Or you can choose specific cryptic maps and add to them. Of course if you start your quest in Protector's Enclave you can't add to that. But you can have them start out by talking to an NPC there (There are currently only a few to choose from) and then send them to your map... which can be a cryptic generated map. Why use a cryptic generated map? Well, you have a budget of items you can use. It is quite large though and most will find it totally fine. But if the map already had trees etc. on it, that's less of your budget. You can add to it and make it your own.

One quick note while I am thinking about it. There is profanity filter in place. You will type your story and see a warning pop up that it is flagged for profanity and must be changed before you can publish. You will search everywhere and not be able to find it. Here was a piece of dialog flagged for me. "It has to be magic then doesn't it?" I will give you a hint. I had to change it to, "It has to be magic then, does it not?" There. I saved you some time :P
    edited April 2013
    Foundry Manual Part 2, showing how to make indoor quests is in the making. Should be out in 24 hours(if everything goes normally).

Outdoor quests will be shown in part 3. However I would be assuming that you have already read part 0 and part 1 while writing it.

~~~~
    And thats me, signing off the internet till I complete the manual!
  • cold006cold006 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Ah that helps out alot thank you, I honestly posted this, downloaded them, and went to work lol. I'm about to read them that I have a better understanding.