test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Scroll of Identify

denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Please, please, please. Tell me these things also drops in the game. Even as a rare thing. I don't want to spend money just to be able to use equipment i find.
Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus
Post edited by denkasaeba on

Comments

• Options
    darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Speculation: there will be "wizards" that you can take these unknown objects to, so you you can pay Gold/Silver/Copper/whatever to have them I dentified.
    The scrolls will allow you to Identify them yourself for no coin cost at the Zen cost.

I believe it will just allow the option.
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    This is my speculation too. Or maybe these scrolls will drop as rare-ish item. I sincerely hope that there will be ways to identify stuff outside the Zen shop.

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    aesclealaescleal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Question then:
    Does the existence of Identify scrolls imply that we won't be able to use an unidentified item until it's been ID'd? Because that then also implies that there will no cursed items. At least if you could still put a magic ring on, even though it hasn't been ID'd, you could possibly be cursed... minus to stats, or slower movement rate, or blindness, etc, you get the point. But if we can't employ the item at all until it's ID'd, then that rules out cursed items. I hope we can still wear them even though they aren't ID'd... maybe just get a partial benefit of the bonus on the item until it's identified, and then once ID'd, we get full use? Just a thought... Cryptic?
  • Options
    slambitslambit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 282 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    my guess is, that id scrolls will end up being neverwinter onlines version of lockbox keys, again only a guess.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    aescleal wrote: »
    Question then:
    Does the existence of Identify scrolls imply that we won't be able to use an unidentified item until it's been ID'd? Because that then also implies that there will no cursed items. At least if you could still put a magic ring on, even though it hasn't been ID'd, you could possibly be cursed... minus to stats, or slower movement rate, or blindness, etc, you get the point. But if we can't employ the item at all until it's ID'd, then that rules out cursed items. I hope we can still wear them even though they aren't ID'd... maybe just get a partial benefit of the bonus on the item until it's identified, and then once ID'd, we get full use? Just a thought... Cryptic?

Interesting. I hadn't thought about cursed items. That could change stuff, but i think (i think) we won't have them in the game.

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Somebody correct me here, but didn't NWN have cursed items? Or was that a NWN UGC thing?
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It seems to me that this stuff would be cheap - like raise dead scroll, identify scroll and health potions - and will not cost you a leg and an arm. (just your eyes :p)

There are there to make players spend more time managing inventory and talking to merchants - it is a good way to prolong time in game and keep it alive.
  • Options
    muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    It seems to me that this stuff would be cheap - like raise dead scroll, identify scroll and health potions - and will not cost you a leg and an arm. (just your eyes :p)

There are there to make players spend more time managing inventory and talking to merchants - it is a good way to prolong time in game and keep it alive.

You never played Allods did you. And while I'm in Allods mode...they had cursed loot too. And it dropped from chests you needed to buy (or rarely loot) keys to open. Oh man that game...

I think cursed loot would be cool, as long as a remove curse option was readily available. Be funny to see a warrior equip (unknowingly) a girdle of gnome strength. "Ugh wow guys, me don' know wha wrong, but I feels really weak. Mebe it da flu."
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Hahaha! Nice example!
    I'd like the addition of cursed items, but not if I had to spend real life money to buy my way out of it.
    How tempting is it to find a new weapon that pulses with magic, maybe the description gives a general idea of how much power it holds, or what level it is appropriate for, so you are just a wee bit tempted to arm it for your next battle, just to see if it helps! Heck, maybe you are hunting undead and it has an undead aura about it. Wait, now that I've armed it, I can't put it down and I realize it's slowly sucking my life force away to nothing... darn vampire swords! Now where was that scroll of remove curse?
  • Options
    darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Cursed items in MMOs: Commonly known as Bind on Pickup. :P
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    muzrub333 wrote: »
    You never played Allods did you. And while I'm in Allods mode...they had cursed loot too. And it dropped from chests you needed to buy (or rarely loot) keys to open. Oh man that game...

I think cursed loot would be cool, as long as a remove curse option was readily available. Be funny to see a warrior equip (unknowingly) a girdle of gnome strength. "Ugh wow guys, me don' know wha wrong, but I feels really weak. Mebe it da flu."

I was replying to OP post. It has nothing to do with cursed item.

The cursed item idea has been suggested many times to devs, you can check the "Ideas for dev" thread which I used to maintain (search for my user name, put that part in search, and search topics). It has link to the idea of cursed items asked for time and again. However last response to it (long ago) was that it might not be possible in this game.

Cursed item/Sentinent weapons etc.
  • Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Ill just call in Deckard Cain....
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nec0enec0e Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    speaking of identifying, i wouldn't mind cursed item's ;p
  • Options
    xearrikxearrik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Scroll of Identity + Unidentified Item = NWO Lock Boxes and keys?
    Da kitties don't speak for me, deez kitties speak fur us all!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'll Keep this up till beta goes live. I'll improve it soon.
  • Options
    muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I was replying to OP post. It has nothing to do with cursed item.

The cursed item idea has been suggested many times to devs, you can check the "Ideas for dev" thread which I used to maintain (search for my user name, put that part in search, and search topics). It has link to the idea of cursed items asked for time and again. However last response to it (long ago) was that it might not be possible in this game.

Cursed item/Sentinent weapons etc.

I know, the first part of my reply is in reference to your reply to the OP. The second was in reference to cursed items, as mentioned by others.

Thanks for taking the time to point me to yet another of your references.
  • Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    xearrik wrote: »

Possibly... not sure if they are will be trolling with lockboxes this way or just are using the weapon has X rarity must be identified or X weapon is Magic must be identified like in Diablo
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mokahmokah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    xearrik wrote: »

= P2W and P2P
    Mokah - The Grumpy Strumpet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Let me step in and say Lock-boxes are not related with identify scroll.
    I do not know where, but in one of the videos I have seen people using the scroll to identify normal items with? in the icon. It is just like in NWN2 - except that instead of spell or going to merchant, you have a scroll which any class can use (unlike before).

Any class can use scroll because the scrolls seem to emulate minor rituals in this game which anyone can perform.

muzrub333 wrote: »
    ...another of your references.

I just maintained that archive, the ideas were from our awesome community as whole. Most of them were not mine. It is a good reference for any dev who wants to make a D&D game. But there are soe very good ideas there including sentient sword which talks and things like that.

EDIT:-
    I say any class because guardian fighter had the icon of scroll in color. If guardian fighter was not able to use, scroll would have been black and white icon like other icons which were unidentified.
  • Options
    slambitslambit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 282 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    instead of spell or going to merchant, you have a scroll which any class can use (unlike before).

Any class can use scroll because the scrolls seem to emulate minor rituals in this game which anyone can perform.

That right there is why i think that identify scrolls will end up being the keys from sto/co stores, any loot ingame that isnt identified wont be or usable or provide any stats til scroll is used.

If it ends up that way i'll atleast give cryptic/pwe kudos for coming up with something much less random than the lock box+key in STO/CO, if find you something you can't equip no need to identify it.

The above is speculation and guesswork, only people who'd know are still fighting that hard to kill fiend of NDA :)
  • Options
    zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013

HAHAHA so true.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • Options
    pwetrailturtlepwetrailturtle Member, Cryptic Developers Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yes, you'll be able to get Scrolls of Identify in-game, although having that bundle of ten is going to make adventuring and looting much easier.
  • Options
    nec0enec0e Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    my favorite childhood memories are of picking up that cursed item that i just wanted cause the stats were epic...even though i got cursed and bad things happened.
  • Options
    zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yes, you'll be able to get Scrolls of Identify in-game, although having that bundle of ten is going to make adventuring and looting much easier.

What about spells and wisdom? Are scrolls the only way to identify loot?
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Hmmm, pwetrailturtle, just the way you word this, being a bit vague, leads me to believe the stack of ten will be sold not by NPC's like vendors for in game currency, but more likely for ZEN or shards or whatever it's called, that will equal real life money. Is that true? I'll be quite disappointed if that is the case. I can see myself destroying or trying to sell unidentified gear/items if this is the case. Unless the trend proves that every one is a winner!
  • Options
    bejita231bejita231 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    sigh....Welcome to the reality of F2P games, you will have a uncomfortable time playing the game if you choose to be a pure F2P player, the cash shop is how these F2P games sustain themselves
  • Options
    barkynbarkyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    denkasaeba wrote: »
    Please, please, please. Tell me these things also drops in the game. Even as a rare thing. I don't want to spend money just to be able to use equipment i find.

there will be a Dwarf rogue in every city to identify for you, i think a couple of teifling palis as well :)

lol i kid
    "Just because im short and stumpy doesnt mean im not fast and nimble. my thirst for treasure keeps me...shall we say...more athletic than most dwarves" Dakoldin Quiverbeard (Dwarven Ranger)
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Thanks a lot. This is a relief.
    barkyn wrote: »
    there will be a Dwarf rogue in every city to identify for you, i think a couple of teifling palis as well :)

lol i kid

Rofl... so, i'd have to wait for a mythological figure to identify my loot? ;)

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    jaffrojonesjaffrojones Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Awesome answer!
  • Options
    jaffrojonesjaffrojones Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

What bundle of ten? Is this 1 of the "six different types of helpful items to start your adventure" in the Adventurer's Helper Pack?

EDIT: Nevermind, just found the answer.
  • Options
    aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    If there is 1 scroll in this game of any spell I WILL LEARN IT.

The power will be mine !