test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Potential good idea

viledeeds77#8676 viledeeds77 Member Posts: 393 Arc User
edited January 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I had an idea for the game, that although is not brand new I thought I would share it with all of you.

The idea is borrowed from Lord of the Rings online, which is session play, now if you played Lotro you might groan about session play as it wasn't hugely popular, I for one enjoyed it as you could actively learn and experience lore and past events. I was thinking it could be utilized in Neverwinter in ways that could recreate or give back story to a character's story such as Drizzt with his companions of the Hall, Elminster and his volumous adventures, or any of the cherished characters of the Forgotten Realms.

For purposes of anyone not being familiar with session play here is an idea of how it works.
I have recently been rereading the Drizzt series and thought it would be incredibly awesome if we could initiate a quest or use an object that would impart to us a story of origin about the item or possibly sit down to be regaled a story from a Bard about a major character's past exploits aka Drizzt and Wulfgar fight the White dragon. Basically you initiate the quest/ story and it autologs you out only to autolog you in as in this case Drizzt and you play out a part or all of the story, picking up where Drizzt realizes that Wulfgar is planning to adventure out on his own and Drizzt follows out of curiousity and concern for his friend. This could be broke up into parts or all told in one session. As you hopefully can see the potential for this kind of idea to be adapted into Neverwinter, it could be pretty awesome to play as our favorite characters in their most epic of adventures that we all hold close to our hearts.

Well that is my idea for what it is worth, maybe we could see something like this come to fruition in Neverwinter, or maybe I am just dreaming of possibilities that just aren't possible. No worries if it is not acheivable, but I think it could be great and I for one would be willing to pay a nominal fee to be able to access the ability to play through these kinds of adventures with four of my closest friends.

Thanks for listening!
Faleth77
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by viledeeds77#8676 on

Comments

• meldrothmeldroth Member Posts: 137 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    It's an interesting idea, but here's my two cents.

First, the Foundry gives us the ability to play through whatever adventures we like, including adventures like you mentioned. There's going to be a lot of "session" play, except you stick with your character.
    Second, since the word is that NW will not be blocking names like "Drizzt," you could technically play as any of your favorite characters. (Though that would be a little unoriginal.)
    Third, charging players for content like that can turn them off. It probably isn't a good way to make money from the game. When you start forcing players to pay "microtransactions" to just access quests, the game goes from F2P to "F2P with Limited Access," which is a big distinction. Better to charge for certain unusual races, hairstyles, mounts, premium housing, gear skins, companion customization, etc.
    "Truth is absolute, so if you truly seek it, you can find only one answer."
  • tinyishtinyish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I think that rather than play as Drizzt, you should play as a not-before-mentioned party that Drizzt once adventured with. You could create this adventure using the foundry and use the story to explain one of the tiny pieces that was glossed over or left out of R.A. Salvatore's novels.

You could play it as a flashback, or as a story being told by a bard in a tavern late at night or even play it as an actual time travel adventure where you go back to intercept certain beings that were bent on stopping Drizzt, and then you could meet him once or twice during the adventure. I don't think they'll have you be able to fight along side him though.

As meldroth mentioned, they won't be charging for content, so that's out. But then, that's a GOOD thing for us!

I'd most certainly rather play my own character than someone else's, even if that other person's backstory has more words than my own.
  • ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    My initial thoughts on the Foundry is that in its infancy, it's going to be like a fanfic site. Tons of absurd "test" adventures, crossing franchises (or at least their characters) with stuff that's not even remotely D&D related, and copying (retelling) stories that are already written, both canon and non-canon.

I have no doubts there will be multiple attempts at people trying to being the next R. A. Salvatore and making continuations of his work.
  • bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yeah I've fought alongside heros in LotRo never as one, but WoW had some of this also, being the litch king in some quest I believe. I wouldn't mind if Neverwinter had some small quest where you play a flashback hero or or along side one. Would be cool.
  • viledeeds77#8676 viledeeds77 Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    To clarify I didn't nessesarily mean we have to pay for this but that I personally would be willing to pay for it. It would be awesome to get something like this as part of the f2p portion of the game. I do plan to make some foundry content but I just thought what a great way for fans to enjoy reliving past reading experiences as well as introduce new fans to our beloved heroes and heroines.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Oh, and the famous D&D names will be blocked by Cryptic but a clever gamer can find ways around that. Not sure if it had anything on the OP concept but just wanted to put it out there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ...famous D&D names ....

You mean famous names like Bigby, Mordenkainen, Niac, Otiluke, Tenser and most importantly Bob?
  • viledeeds77#8676 viledeeds77 Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    You mean famous names like Bigby, Mordenkainen, Niac, Otiluke, Tenser and most importantly Bob?

I can understand any of these but not Bob, that is........blasphamy!
    Bob is the single most important hero of the entire history of the forgotten realms, I mean come on.....Bob even commands Lord Ao.
    All hail the all knowing, the all seeing Bob!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Flattery will get you everywhere...but you still can't get an Alpha key ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • morbicmorbic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013