test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why I'm drawn to Neverwinter

mountain45mountain45 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
edited January 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So like my title says I thought I'd post why i was drawn to this MMO. First off im a big NWN 1 & 2 fan.. i played Baulder's Gate and I've been a Pen n Paper Player of D&D up to v3.5.

Now a friend got me into the MMO, scene sadly that was my downfall. I have been an MMORPG player since Dec 2006 and I've tried soooo many different MMO's from F2p to P2p. all havent had what i had when playing D&D and what NWN 1&2 gave me. I have loved the MMO part of all the mmorpgs, so I have always gotten bored at end game on every game. Some i havent even got to endgame and went meh.

All of the game worlds in Neverwinter Nights you could make were limited to so many people and such. What i see in Neverwinter is a true Neverwinter Nights on a grand scale with a living breathing MMO world. Now how i see me playing this one(Neverwinter) more ( and i know it will have raids and dungeon content.) is the Foundry, the player created content. I like the idea of never running out of quests, I know some MMO's have tons of them but they are more gear grinds. I am hoping to have the feeling of my character being that hero I always played in Pen n Paper. The way I see ( in the foundry) how campaigns can be made makes me want to play this.. Like other MMO's get this right BUT they only have a few awesome quest lines with tones of filler quests. I see with this community at large epic story telling in a grand scale.

I also have soo many ideas i need that foundry now!!! :)

anyways i think i said what i meant to say amd hope i said it right and not confuse people.

Neverwinter please dont let me down!!
Post edited by mountain45 on

Comments

• Options
    ariusdecimusariusdecimus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Right there with you, I'm very excited about Neverwinter. Huge MMO player, and I've beaten all of the Forgotten Realms set video games, so while I've never done PnP I really do love the Forgotten Realms setting. I actually also play STO a lot, and the foundry over there has provided me with the most amazing experiences, top notch. I even made my own mission! I watched a couple videos on the Neverwinter Foundry, and it looks just so amazing. Especially auto-cluttering... just wow.

I'm so excited to get into the game and experience what this amazing community can do. The Foundry is so easy to use that I expect we'll be in for lots and lots of epic adventures. From my experience with the NWN 1/2 modding community, DnD fellows also tend to make great communities, so I'm really hopeful that we'll be the next LOTRO in that respect.

I'm also really excited to see what they can do with henchmen/companions. I hope that they take the time to make loads of dialogue for them, because companions/henchmen really are an amazing addition to any game.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    mountain45 wrote: »
    .... What i see in Neverwinter is a true Neverwinter Nights on a grand scale with a living breathing MMO world. ...

Although I do hope it to come true, I want to point it out that "Dungeons and Dragons: Neverwinter" is not actually the part or continuation of Neverwinter Nights series.

It is a separate series like "Baldur's Gate Series" or "Neverwinter Nights series" - and its first installment of the series.

It is not being cleared very well, so I thought I will just make sure you do not have false impression of what this will be.
  • Options
    tinbender02tinbender02 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 209 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    I am simply looking forward to this game because it will give me a chance to play at least in part a true multiplayer game. I enjoy fantasy settings especially D&D though I have little experience with the world after the spell plague so I am looking forward to learning and immersing myself in the new to me lore.

If this games user content even comes close to what NWN 1&2 have then it will truly be great and may even outstrip the original content in breadth and depth.

The only thing I think I will miss from the first two games is the DM client that truly allowed worlds to be brought to life. Now that is a feature for which I would pay, a chance to play in some ones sandbox even if the characters were locked out of the open part of the world and had to stay in forge created content. Nothing beats having a DM run a game session and all the opportunities it opens up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *sniffs* Me want ranger
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    There is a lot of reasons I'm drawn to Neverwinter, besides being Forgotten Realms (which is huge for me) this will be one of the few MMO's that won't be full of Pop culture memes, lame humor or those same old Seperoth tropes that every MMO clings to these days (with the possible exception of LOTRO, EVE and TSW) and even though I can't bring my NWN persistent world over I can do many modules in that setting, which is amazing.

So even though I can be critical at times I am very excited at the potential of Neverwinter.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    cosmictimbercosmictimber Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    For me, I would say the number one and two things is 1) D&D ruleset. Even though its based on the hotly contested 4th Ed.. it is still a ruleset that I am familiar with and love. 2) User Generated Content. For me this should be #1 i guess. I have played tons of MMO's and most just have rinse and repeat content once you hit max level. I would rather play and enjoy what a creative community can create than do dailies, raids, and repetitive dungeons.

While i have played D&D a bunch, I never really did much with Forgotten Realms. I am not completely new to it, but I always favored creating my own worlds and I did the same when I played GURPS (anyone ever play that system?) So there is a lot of lore that I look forward to enjoying.
  • Options
    spectralhuntspectralhunt Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm drawn to the Forgotten Realms and the Foundry.
  • Options
    pregnablepregnable Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Bards.

D&D.

Action Combat.

Foundry.

Free to play with non-pay2win item shop.

A pvp system that is not an afterthought.

Bards.

Sounds like win to me. This game could end up being huge.
  • Options
    talsictalsic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
    edited January 2013
    For me Neverwinter Nights 1 was the greatest game ever. I know this is not a continuation of that, but honestly a seed of hope for something similar at least a little is the number 1 draw for me. Then the big question is why?

D&D is a big part of it because I have played PnP for 36 years. Not a big fan of 4th addition, but we all knew it was created to be more RPG friendly. Second reason is the Player content. Wish persistant worlds were possible, but still excited about player content.
  • Options
    meldrothmeldroth Member Posts: 137 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    mountain45 wrote: »

Now a friend got me into the MMO, scene sadly that was my downfall. I have been an MMORPG player since Dec 2006 and I've tried soooo many different MMO's from F2p to P2p. all havent had what i had when playing D&D and what NWN 1&2 gave me. I have loved the MMO part of all the mmorpgs, so I have always gotten bored at end game on every game. Some i havent even got to endgame and went meh.

All of the game worlds in Neverwinter Nights you could make were limited to so many people and such. What i see in Neverwinter is a true Neverwinter Nights on a grand scale with a living breathing MMO world. Now how i see me playing this one(Neverwinter) more ( and i know it will have raids and dungeon content.) is the Foundry, the player created content. I like the idea of never running out of quests, I know some MMO's have tons of them but they are more gear grinds. I am hoping to have the feeling of my character being that hero I always played in Pen n Paper. The way I see ( in the foundry) how campaigns can be made makes me want to play this.. Like other MMO's get this right BUT they only have a few awesome quest lines with tones of filler quests. I see with this community at large epic story telling in a grand scale.

Neverwinter please dont let me down!!

Yep. Ditto. I'm also looking forward to the action combat. So far, it looks like they've actually put some thought into these combat skills. I'm looking forward to what they do with noncombat skills, like traps and crafting.
    "Truth is absolute, so if you truly seek it, you can find only one answer."
  • Options
    marenormarenor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I was drawn 'Dungeons & Dragons: Neverwinter' (NWO) initially due to the affiliation with D&D and Wizards of the Coast (WotC). I have played in steady PnP campaigns mainly based in the Forgotten Realms (FR) over the years. Even a GURPS campaign that was loosely based upon FR lore, just to change up the game play. As I learned more about NWO's development, specifically the ability to play and possibly create User Generated Content (UGC) through the Foundry, I was drawn in further to NWO. My anticipation for the game has increased as I have gathered information about NWO and I am waiting patiently for the chance to play.
  • Options
    chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    For me, aside from it being a Forgotten Realms setting, which is by far my favorite in all of D&D, the foundry interests me quite a bit. In NWN I was part of a pretty successful progressive world and generated a ton of content for it that was met with possitive player approval and I would love to bring some of those ideas into Neverwinter for the fans of the genre to see and give feedback on. After I plunge myself once again into this great game world, of course.

The action combat is also something I enjoy over tab target and lock on skill use, every MMO should use this system from now on, it's just vastly superior.

I love RPGs, I love MMOs, I love action combat, I love being creative and seeing other creative ideas and I love D&D and the Forgotten Realms setting. I am excited to see this go live and hopefully bring the great game system to a larger audience.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • Options
    blizzidblizzid Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 170 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    just always liked dnd when i was a kid which was a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away. Anyway, ive played mass mmo's and though some came close at times to what i was looking for, they didnt quite make it and im hoping this will be the one, especially with the foundry, even if the makers quests arent great hopefully player generated ones will be :)