test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fortune Cards

oldskylanceroldskylancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Anybody ever play with them in the PnP game? I think they'd add a valuable addition if they were integrated in Neverwinter. Maybe with small decks available in the store and possible expirations or charges.
e84df321-2eb4-4d3b-97d2-854aa247afc4_zps96a2cec8.jpg

Orcus bane, Knight-wanderer of the Sword Coast
Post edited by oldskylancer on

Comments

• Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited January 2013
    I'm hoping to see mini games like card and dice games and other things in taverns. Games that players can spend in-game currency and perhaps real currency on with a chance of winning stuff. Maybe games that players can play against each other too instead of just to interact with NPCs.

You might read this. http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?25071-Taverns-Mini-Games-and-the-Zen-store
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    I certainly hope we could see some of these added to the game even if there were limited uses in a given time.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Wow great minds was think alike I was just thinking about this....I really think they should add them in some shape or form, while I'm not a huge fan of Fourth edition I do love the effect Fortune cards has on game play and there would be so many cool things they could do with them.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I remember a class I saw a friend play where you cast random spell depending on the card you drew out of a deck, you could hold onto the card until you needed it.
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    what would be cool if some cards gave you special combat animations or different spell effects as well as the power....temporaily of course.
  • Options
    meldrothmeldroth Member Posts: 137 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    I'd play Texas Hold 'Em with in-game currency for in-game currency. :)
    "Truth is absolute, so if you truly seek it, you can find only one answer."
  • Options
    marenormarenor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    If Fortune Cards are similar to what I have experienced then I have played with them a few times. If I remember correctly, they have permanent affects which are sometimes beneficial and were very rarely provided by the GM's. I would imagine that some of the affects would have to be changed, i.e. "Your character grows a set of wings". Made a complete mockery of the saying, 'When Dwarves fly'. Though gaining proficiency in flight was a long and arduous process but great fun to roleplay. I generally took more damage from flying into things during battles until the GM adjusted the encounters to encompass my new, rather unexpected ability. Made me smile just to think about it.

I am not sure if we are talking about the same set of cards. These were a deck of cards produced for GM's which they chose to offer to players, or forced them to take, as part of the gaming experience. The players drew them randomly and the effect could be immediate or occur over time, as determined by the GM. There were quite a few cards as I remember and there may have been detrimental affects as well. I actually encountered these cards in two seperate campaigns and grew wings in both of them.

Although I am unsure but I do not believe these were a product officially authorized or recognized by Wizards of the Coast, which means that they are unlikely to be included.

If this sounds familiar to you then this may offer some clarification. If this is not familiar to you then thank you for reminding me of pleasant gaming memories and ignore this random intrusion to this thread.
  • Options
    theincarnadine42theincarnadine42 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I have some fortune cards, but I have not yet had a chance to use them. Most of my D&D time happens online, our gaming group is spread all over the country, and I have not figured out a good way to implement them into my campaign without risking loosing track of who was holding onto what card, if they used it and we both forgot, ect. At the table no problem, online a little difficult.

I am not sure what you are referring to, marenor (sounds more like Deck of Many Things to me), but the cards are basically extra actions that you can take giving some sort of advantage or bonus affect. For example, my favorite one is "Whoops!" where if an attack knocks you prone, you can pick a creature adjacent to you to knock prone as well. There are cards that grant combat advantage, give you a slight defense boost, allow you to shift in certain situations, attack a different defense than normal, ect.

I think this would be a cool thing to receive in random events, maybe the end of a raid there is a chance for a random card, ect, and maybe it lasts for 5 minutes giving you some sort of boost, only one active at a time sort of thing.

Speaking of the Deck of Many Things... *evil grin*
  • Options
    spectralhuntspectralhunt Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    They should have a gypsy in Neverwinter who gives out fortunes for a price. The fortune could provide a minor buff for a certain period of time.
  • Options
    xearrikxearrik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Fortune Cards are definitely fun. They add some flavor to any campaign.
    Da kitties don't speak for me, deez kitties speak fur us all!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'll Keep this up till beta goes live. I'll improve it soon.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Oh, if any people don't know what they are they are 4th edition specific things you buy that used to be done by RPGA Membership "reward cards" instead, now are purchasable foe use with any character in a "encounter" setup. More info is here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mrbuttflakesmrbuttflakes Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I really like the Idea of implementing something like this. I've never used them, but they do look interesting, and would add some flavor. If they added something like this, would you already have these cards at the start then have the option to buy more from the store in-game? Also, since you draw a card at the beginning of each encounter, we would be flying through these cards in a fast paced game as this.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I really like the Idea of implementing something like this. I've never used them, but they do look interesting, and would add some flavor. If they added something like this, would you already have these cards at the start then have the option to buy more from the store in-game? Also, since you draw a card at the beginning of each encounter, we would be flying through these cards in a fast paced game as this.

The only issue with that is, no matter how fun or popular they are, you can bet your <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that the QQ brigade would show up and shed their better tears about buying power ...which would escalate into charges of forcing minors to gamble. Nevermind how illogical it is, we both know it would happen. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The only issue with that is, no matter how fun or popular they are, you can bet your <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that the QQ brigade would show up and shed their better tears about buying power ...which would escalate into charges of forcing minors to gamble. Nevermind how illogical it is, we both know it would happen. :rolleyes:

Bingo. Oh, just a minute...

*licks up delicious tears*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]