test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Could the Foundry be released first?

averial1averial1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
edited January 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I would love to see the foundry released so that I could get started on designing some cool dungeons, caves, swamps....

Alternatively, I would like to see a list of the tiles that will be included in the foundry.
How will secret rooms be handled? Can I place a 'mimic' chest?
-Averial
Honesty, Wisdom, Hope, Grace and Joy
Post edited by averial1 on

Comments

• Options
    viledeeds77#8676 viledeeds77 Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    As unlikely as I know it most likely is I too would like to get my hands on the foundry as soon as possible. I also had an idea concerning the foundry as well, is it possible that we could collaborate on foundry project possibly as a guild or maybe place a panel in game or in the main foundry menu that allows us to give players in our friends list the ability to build on a project that we have in our foundry slots?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited January 2013
    I would really, really like the idea to invite people to my Foundry missions as a sort of test run before releasing them to the public.

Without having so much as tried even STO's Foundry, tho, I can't really say I know what kind of tools I'll be working with so I'm not really sure what kinds of questions to ask.
  • Options
    halishmedihalishmedi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The Foundry is built into the Neverwinter client and shares the same servers so I don't think there is any chance of being able to get access to the Foundry before the full game.

Being able to "co-op" on the Foundry was "coming soon" when it first released on Star Trek Online and hasn't made an appearance since then. I know the Neverwinter Foundry is more advanced but I still don't expect to be able to co-op missions or to be able to invite others to test it before it goes live.

I wouldn't publish a mission and then go away-from-keyboard, hot-fixing is your friend when it comes to newly published missions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    eljacko56eljacko56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    They mentioned somewhere that there will be a five-person limit for groups in the Foundry, so I assume there will be co-op. I doubt you'll be able to share it without publishing it, though.
  • Options
    viledeeds77#8676 viledeeds77 Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    To clarify what I meant by collaborate, is I create and work on building a foundry mission, quest, story, and I invite certain friends to be allowed to work on the same project with me, say I build the story and quest chain, and because my friend has a better eye for detail could work on them models of the mobs I/we chose for the spawns or my friend is great at storytelling and I'm best with details we could do the opposite. Hope that makes more sense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I thought that is what you meant I want this also
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Regarding collaborating authors, I think cryptic had stated that it is something they are looking at if they can make it - but it will take longer than soon to implement it.
  • Options
    zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    It would never happen but ohh wouldn't it be fun if it did. I really wish we knew what the exact limitations are wit hteh foundry as I have been working on several ideas for a lengthy campaign for a few weeks now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    As others have said it really isn't a possibility for reasons stated previously and more.

It would be nice but highly doubtful.
    If you want to get an idea about the Foundry's functionality STO will give you a decent idea on the possibilities. Even though Neverwinter will have different content and some improvements over STO it should still give some excellent insight to the tool.
  • Options
    kyllroy2kyllroy2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 309 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    D&D Heroes of Neverwinter has a dumbed down creator with a user created module list, ratings and so forth. Most of what you find there is repeatitive, copy and paste. Similar rules apply, however, since the game server handles the game and also all user created content.

Rules apply as per the normal game. A lot less freedom than you might expect there if you remember the NwN latitude. How it is all laid down from the start, after beta is extremely important. Not spending time with the tools is going to hurt us in this area.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Sorry, confirmed. Foundry is integrated to the game client so it can't be released "earlier" than the game client. Aandre, Gillrmn and I were some of the earlier people to request co-op authoring (I guess that's a good phrase for it now,) and they said they would look into if such a thing were possible, but suspect getting things up like making persistent modules comes first on the wishlists.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Sorry, confirmed. Foundry is integrated to the game client so it can't be released "earlier" than the game client. Aandre, Gillrmn and I were some of the earlier people to request co-op authoring (I guess that's a good phrase for it now,) and they said they would look into if such a thing were possible, but suspect getting things up like making persistent modules comes first on the wishlists.

Uhh I just reread the PCGamer article and noticed this,"...But Neverwinter will be launching with user-generated content..." Anyone else notice that? Page 39 on my digital version. S I guess we may be allowed to use it before launch but it will probably under an amount of hush hush as to who gets to use it and when this will start. I imagine they will pick a few media people and some of the people in CB.... I wonder, I remember seeing a... *Iamtruthseeker slaps me upside the head," No talking about it, you know I have said this before."* ...Ok Ok I wont say anything else about the secret things.
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Uhh I just reread the PCGamer article and noticed this,"...But Neverwinter will be launching with user-generated content..." Anyone else notice that? Page 39 on my digital version. S I guess we may be allowed to use it before launch but it will probably under an amount of hush hush as to who gets to use it and when this will start. I imagine they will pick a few media people and some of the people in CB.... I wonder, I remember seeing a... *Iamtruthseeker slaps me upside the head," No talking about it, you know I have said this before."* ...Ok Ok I wont say anything else about the secret things.

Oh we can talk about it 'cause Mapolis said it and it's in my FAQ,

Will it be possible to get hold of the Foundry and start working on projects before the game's official release? If so, will my missions be "wiped" on official Release?

The chances for working on the Foundry will be the same for any chances of getting into a beta stage, but other people focusing on the Foundry or "authoring" will be considered for this component of the game and separate beta stages will be done for Foundry testing as well. Like the Beta question in section I, some people may be asked to participate outside of Public Beta, but no more information can be mentioned here.

Updated 9/05/2012: At the time of this FAQ's last update, content created will stay post launch (but remember, testing could wipe content before final launch.)

To quote Mapolis:

Originally Posted by rujind
    5.) Will it be possible to get ahold of the Foundry and start working on our projects before release?
    Yes.
    Originally Posted by rujind
    6.) Will the Foundry be available in beta and will published content carry over to release?
    Yes.

We intend to have a long, multi-stage beta process that will test many aspects of the game. Cryptic has always valued player input, and PWE has given us the time and resources to execute the beta cycle we've always wanted to do. I should also note that the Foundry will have a similar, but somewhat separate beta cycle.

It's certainly not going to be a last-minute marketing-only beta.

This means that it's very possible if they are doing internal testing for mods, they could be wiped and publishers may have to re upload them or even redo them before a PUBLIC beta test is done however.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Who says the Foundry won't be available to the public during Open Beta Tests (if not Closed Beta)?

The game will launch with User Generated Content. However the general public won't get access to The Foundry until Closed Beta at the earliest.