test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

neverwinter lost its steam

Comments

• jedidethfreak823jedidethfreak823 Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Release? You mean after the open beta phase?

Too optimistic I would say. At most close beta will end by then - at most.

I say it depends on when they start it. Closed beta testing will be over a 4-6 week period, with Open beta starting right after for about two weeks, as based on Cryptic's previous beta testing schedules. As such, April-May wouldn't be unrealistic.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I say it depends on when they start it. Closed beta testing will be over a 4-6 week period, ....

No because it will be phased and they want to give apt time to everyone to test it.

Also devs have confirmed we will have real beta and not just stress test (which will come after open beta) and they will use our feedback.

That is the nicest thing, though many players may not like it.
  • elewyndylelewyndyl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    No because it will be phased and they want to give apt time to everyone to test it.

Also devs have confirmed we will have real beta and not just stress test (which will come after open beta) and they will use our feedback.

Ok. That said I still believe this game will be released during 2013. I am not in a hurry to get it out to soon. If game is released say towards end of 2013 that is still fine by me,

I think my budget gaming laptop from 2012 may run this game. That said maybe not with max settings of course. I plan to buy a super desktop for many years. Haswell CPU is released later 2013 and I want that CPU for my new gaming desktop computer.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    elewyndyl wrote: »
    Ok. That said I still believe this game will be released during 2013. I am not in a hurry to get it out to soon. If game is released say towards end of 2013 that is still fine by me,

I think my budget gaming laptop from 2012 may run this game. That said maybe not with max settings of course. I plan to buy a super desktop for many years. Haswell CPU is released later 2013 and I want that CPU for my new gaming desktop computer.

I'm holding out for Skymont personally at 10nm I can make do with my AMD FX until mid 2015.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
    edited January 2013
    elewyndyl wrote: »

Cryptic has stated that min requirements will be low than STO while graphics on high end system will still be good. So your PC/lappy was top dog five years ago, it should be Ok!
  • zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm holding out for Skymont personally at 10nm I can make do with my AMD FX until mid 2015.

I cannot believe they are still coding on their engine? So what hardware is today ~1-3 years old was targeted when the game was written...
    edited January 2013
    Well after reading the PC gamer article we cann at least get a sense of why they keep delaying beta...Daily powers seems to be a mess, and there appears to be major balancing issues. I guess they want to tackle that sort of thing in Alpha before they move on to beta, thing is that could take months and could potentially kill the very small groundswell in interest that the title has seen in the past couple weeks.
  • tethiyeltethiyel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 31
    edited January 2013
    My issue is that the game is slated for an 'early 2013' release, yet the closed beta is not yet under way...
    "What greater weapon is there than to turn an enemy to your cause? To use their own knowledge against them?"
    edited January 2013
    tethiyel wrote: »
    My issue is that the game is slated for an 'early 2013' release, yet the closed beta is not yet under way...

Maybe by release they meant open beta as it is open to all for play?
    edited January 2013
    Maybe by release they meant open beta as it is open to all for play?

Ummmmm yeah...sure that's the ticket... yeah :rolleyes:
    edited January 2013
    zagemogga wrote: »
    I cannot believe they are still coding on their engine? So what hardware is today ~1-3 years old was targeted when the game was written...

They have upgraded it several times. They recently included "polygon" technology ?(whatever schtick it is) in their stuff and... yeah they upgraded their game engine kernels and stuff...

So the graphics will be better than present game. Trust me, you will soil your armor after watching how cool graphics are - whenever we are able to see them.
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited January 2013
    zagemogga wrote: »

This is just how making games works. However, it's never been a problem for developers that want to make intensely demanding games - Crysis, for instance, took years to code and was still punishing on systems when it was released.

MMOs, on the other hand, generally try to appeal to a much wider userbase, and so don't have the hardware requirements other PC games might. The Neverwinter Dev team has already said that they want a large variety of PCs to be able to run their game.

Of course optimisation is another issue. Having the software be able to take advantage of PC components without letting other components go to waste. Take SW:TOR or DDO for example - very, very poorly optimised, so even on certain high-end systems they don't run well, because the programs reserve more resources than they actually use. Neither of those games even use multiple processing cores. Even my back-up computer now has a dual core CPU.
  • valas625valas625 Member Posts: 195 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    ranncore wrote: »
    ...Of course optimisation is another issue. Having the software be able to take advantage of PC components without letting other components go to waste. Take SW:TOR or DDO for example - very, very poorly optimised, so even on certain high-end systems they don't run well, because the programs reserve more resources than they actually use. Neither of those games even use multiple processing cores. Even my back-up computer now has a dual core CPU.

My "BACKUP" computer? I hate you. :D SW:ToR WAS pretty bad about that though. I mean even on low res the game ran like I was playing on freakin Windows XP with a ten year old graphics card and 1g of ram.
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited January 2013
    valas625 wrote: »
    My "BACKUP" computer? I hate you. :D

:)

I've been into computers for a long time and I always have tons of parts laying around. Usually enough to assemble at least another computer but I recently threw away a lot of old junk.
    You'd be surprised what you can build for 200 dollars. I built a machine with a 32bit dual-core 3.4 ghz p4, 4gb of ram, threw a geforce 9400 in there. Runs modern games on medium to low settings, perfect for playing my older games or emulated stuff, storing movies and music, etc.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well after reading the PC gamer article we cann at least get a sense of why they keep delaying beta...Daily powers seems to be a mess, and there appears to be major balancing issues. I guess they want to tackle that sort of thing in Alpha before they move on to beta, thing is that could take months and could potentially kill the very small groundswell in interest that the title has seen in the past couple weeks.
    They have upgraded it several times. They recently included "polygon" technology ?(whatever schtick it is) in their stuff and... yeah they upgraded their game engine kernels and stuff...

So the graphics will be better than present game. Trust me, you will soil your armor after watching how cool graphics are - whenever we are able to see them.

If it's not quoted it's not currently relevant. Remember, this article was done a little while back...and I can say that while balancing is apparently still being done, I haven't hard any private grumbling over daily powers in a long time. Technically I can't and won't ask for any details as they are under NDA, but thought I could post this at least. Not like they talk to me often. They never call, they don't write much. They go out with their Dev friends while I type here...alone...in the dark...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • timidone1timidone1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    zalenex323 wrote: »
    anyone else feel that this game was really trending towards greatness a few months ago but the vagueness about when the beta might even come out already killed the game a bit? its not even in the top 10 upcoming mmos on mmorpg.com. ive wanted a forgotten realms mmo for the better part of a decade but if this game even launches im afraid not enough people are going to even be around enough to care still.

Too much hype is a bad thing. SWTOR took off like a rocket breaking all kinds of launch records, and then it crashed and burned with one of the quickest p2p to f2p transitions ever.

Given that Neverwinter will be free 2 play, there will be no shortage of people that give it a shot. I know I download every free game that interests me even a little bit. They just need to make it into a good game so that people stick around.
  • zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    timidone1 wrote: »
    Too much hype is a bad thing. SWTOR took off like a rocket breaking all kinds of launch records, and then it crashed and burned with one of the quickest p2p to f2p transitions ever.

Given that Neverwinter will be free 2 play, there will be no shortage of people that give it a shot. I know I download every free game that interests me even a little bit. They just need to make it into a good game so that people stick around.

I was following SWTOR, but never played it because of the setting. I am no Jedi or something ;) (I like the films)
  • vangaldvangald Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 325 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    At this point I have lost interest for a number of reasons.

At this point I am waiting to see what comes down the pipe. Black Desert, Archage and Pathfinder looking more my tea.
    edited January 2013
    If it's not quoted it's not currently relevant. Remember, this article was done a little while back...and I can say that while balancing is apparently still being done, I haven't hard any private grumbling over daily powers in a long time. Technically I can't and won't ask for any details as they are under NDA, but thought I could post this at least. Not like they talk to me often. They never call, they don't write much. They go out with their Dev friends while I type here...alone...in the dark...

Fine...I'll just go back to believing that everyone is secretly playing except me and it's awesome.

Thanks for that :P

vangald wrote: »
    At this point I have lost interest for a number of reasons.

At this point I am waiting to see what comes down the pipe. Black Desert, Archage and Pathfinder looking more my tea.

Pathfinder seems a bit like Dark and Light to me at this point....you should give TESO a honest look they have started a limited CB and it is nothing short of amazing....ahem..or so I'm told.

/walks away whistling.
    edited January 2013

Uhhh, have you been involved in a Cryptic beta?

They said all of this stuff for CO and STO. We still had CB for four to six weeks (both times) and a two-week open beta (both times) right before launch (both times) with no feedback listened to (both times). As a matter of fact, in STO's case, they actually removed most of the fixes they made during CB and OB for the launch update, only to put them back in within the next month.
  • vangaldvangald Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 325 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    I remember CoH beta being handled very well. But then again Cryptic is a different beast now.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Quick, Storm's coming, LOG OUT!

*Whistles* Oh hi there!

Nope, no beta yet... ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    ...Pathfinder seems a bit like Dark and Light to me at this point....you should give TESO ....

Brings the Fanatical Shard Army from the Moon. They destroy Pathfinder and TESO leaving them in smoke and heaps of wood and rust.

The army cries loudly, "Only Faerun! Only NW!"

The general marks in his log, 2 gone 44433672654 to go. We are on tight schedule. Then he shouts,

"Move Out! We March!"
    edited January 2013
    Uhhh, have you been involved in a Cryptic beta?

They said all of this stuff for CO and STO. We still had CB for four to six weeks (both times) and a two-week open beta (both times) right before launch (both times) with no feedback listened to (both times). As a matter of fact, in STO's case, they actually removed most of the fixes they made during CB and OB for the launch update, only to put them back in within the next month.

To first question - No. I was talking about logical deduction.

Second, I don't really care about CO or STO. The settings themselves "sci-fi" and "hero" are a fail for me. I wouldn't really touch them.

Unless it is proven wrong in NW over time before launch, I will believe what devs say as opposed to what to assume based on opinions of others.

*Calls up the Fanatical army*

"Clear out domestic games too!"
    edited January 2013
    vangald wrote: »
    I remember CoH beta being handled very well. But then again Cryptic is a different beast now.

Pretty much this.
  • readymealreadymeal Member Posts: 57
    edited January 2013
    To first question - No. I was talking about logical deduction.

Second, I don't really care about CO or STO. The settings themselves "sci-fi" and "hero" are a fail for me. I wouldn't really touch them.

Unless it is proven wrong in NW over time before launch, I will believe what devs say as opposed to what to assume based on opinions of others.

*Calls up the Fanatical army*

"Clear out domestic games too!"

well Mr Gill...this is a bit..how can i say that... optimistic no? i believe in trends until demonstrated over wise. i think the comment from jedidethfreak has nothing to do with the setting but more about how Cryptic has been handling the feedback from its last 2 beta testing.

If Ford has developed a car few years ago named Alpha and asked some test drivers some feedback but still decide to sell the car without taking into account anything from the test driver...it s a bit annoying...

few years later Ford decides to develop a car named Beta and does the same, ask for feedback but does not do anything with it...

Now what do you think it might happen if Ford decides to develop a car named Charlie and ask for feedback to potential buyers...

Honestly i would take anything coming out the month of a dev very carefully...i can tell you by experience that their words are not law and they can turn their coats pretty quickly... i have been more often disappointed by what cryptic dev have said than i can count...not even talking here about misleading or outright lie in my face...

But you are entitled to believe everything they tell you...they are salesmen after all... :)
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Well, just to point out, this will be the first game developed by Cryptic Studios with the supervision, experience and pocket book money of Perfect World Entertainment.

That change alone make it hard to judge the outcome of Neverwinter since games which adopt other companies policies after they are designed don't turn out as well as a game built from the ground up with the same marketing strategy.
    And that concept goes beyond the PWE purchase since both STO or CO were designed as Subscription Based MMO's.

Bottom line is any game which adapts from Subscription to Freemium loses a lot of glory in the change no matter what. Neither would be a fair comparison to what Neverwinter holds in store...too many factors have changed in the last few years.
    If you want to doubt the developers, so be it, but too many changes have occurred since STO/CO to simply say 'because STO/CO...so will Neverwinter..."
    edited January 2013
    Well, just to point out, this will be the first game developed by Cryptic Studios with the supervision, experience and pocket book money of Perfect World Entertainment.

That change alone make it hard to judge the outcome of Neverwinter since games which adopt other companies policies after they are designed don't turn out as well as a game built from the ground up with the same marketing strategy.
    And that concept goes beyond the PWE purchase since both STO or CO were designed as Subscription Based MMO's.

Bottom line is any game which adapts from Subscription to Freemium loses a lot of glory in the change no matter what. Neither would be a fair comparison to what Neverwinter holds in store...too many factors have changed in the last few years.
    If you want to doubt the developers, so be it, but too many changes have occurred since STO/CO to simply say 'because STO/CO...so will Neverwinter..."

I don't doubt the developers personally...I greatly dislike the way marketing is handling this title, at first I honestly believed they were trying to set this title up as a dark horse that came out of nowhere and surprised everyone...but with all of the "we promise a lot more information soon" the countless date push-backs and the drought of any real communication with the ever dwindling forum community, it just makes us wonder what actually is happening with the title.

What makes it worse is how Cryptic once was, CoH had one of the most communicative dev teams ever, I can't count how many times Jack or Steve would show up to give us updates and answer questions, the payoff for Cryptic was one of the most fanatically loyal communities ever...we have had a bit of communication recently here but nowhere near the level of CoH, CO or STO pre beta communication.

Not all change is for the better.
    edited January 2013
    readymeal wrote: »
    Honestly i would take anything coming out the month of a dev very carefully...i can tell you by experience that their words are not law and they can turn their coats pretty quickly... i have been more often disappointed by what cryptic dev have said than i can count...not even talking here about misleading or outright lie in my face...

Working on many projects over years, I have come to realize that ****... things do happen ever so often. What is important and decides the alignment of a team is intentions - for we can never actually find out what difficulties they faced. For me, I would be happy if the dev team remains ambitious. For now they are - they even talk about persistent worlds down the line in far future. Now that may never come to fruition, but devs have something to think about for far ahead and it will keep them interested and motivated.

As far as STO/CO goes, I don't really see the fault of devs anywhere. Fault of marketing, fault of publishers - yes. But not the fault of dev team. And the old publishers are gone and this is a new start.
    edited January 2013
    Working on many projects over years, I have come to realize that ****... things do happen ever so often. What is important and decides the alignment of a team is intentions - for we can never actually find out what difficulties they faced. For me, I would be happy if the dev team remains ambitious. For now they are - they even talk about persistent worlds down the line in far future. Now that may never come to fruition, but devs have something to think about for far ahead and it will keep them interested and motivated.

As far as STO/CO goes, I don't really see the fault of devs anywhere. Fault of marketing, fault of publishers - yes. But not the fault of dev team. And the old publishers are gone and this is a new start.

You do know that all of the broken promises for CO and STO were not only made by Cryptic for this game, but some of them were made by the EXACT SAME PEOPLE. AT CRYPTIC.

These aren't things you can blame on Atari or "marketing." CO launching with very little content was Cryptic's fault. STO launching with not only very little content, but an entire faction not receiving the treatment players were promised for a year and a half was Cryptic's fault. The pay-for-power cash shops of both games after being told that pay-for-power cash shops wouldn't be involved was Cryptic's fault. THE SAME PERSON who said those games would NEVER get pay-for-power cash shops said the same thing about this game AFTER CO and STO got pay-for-power cash shops.

If you want to outright ignore the actions of the very people you're defending, that's fine. But don't sit there and tell me or anyone else that everything is going to happen exactly as they're telling us. The people doing the talking don't have the best track record for honesty.