test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Faster Combat

mostrandomistmostrandomist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 75
edited September 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
I really, REALLY, want to like this game. So seeing as how it's still in the developmental stage this is the only time to say this... The combat needs to be more fast paced. With action click to attack controls, the slow swing speed of weapons and movement completely defeat the purpose of this. It doesn't have to be like an acrade fighter pace, but something akin to the other action mmos, like Dragon's Nest, or GW2 even. Combat that actually feels like combat.
If anyone else agrees with this, please let your voice be heard.
Post edited by mostrandomist on

Comments

• vindiconvindicon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I personally preffer the slower-paced., more strategic combat of the likes of RaiderZ and Dark Souls, but whatever, both can be enjoyable if done well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited September 2012
    Well we can't be sure but D&D historically always increased attack speed with levels so there is a good chance that mechanic will carry over into NW.
    Slow low level attack speed makes perfect sense too. Just pick up a sword for yourself and see how clumsy you are when you try to swing it.

However D&D is a turn-based game and I'm not sure how literal the attack speed translation will be.
    Anyway I feel we will likely have faster attack speeds at higher levels but there's no official comment on it.

P.S.
    While you claim that the attack speeds are slow I could equally argue the combat is far more intensive than I have seen in other RPG's. I never played either game you mentioned but NW doesn't seem slower than any gameplay video's I just looked up of GW2.
  • muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I really, REALLY, want to like this game. So seeing as how it's still in the developmental stage this is the only time to say this... The combat needs to be more fast paced. With action click to attack controls, the slow swing speed of weapons and movement completely defeat the purpose of this. It doesn't have to be like an acrade fighter pace, but something akin to the other action mmos, like Dragon's Nest, or GW2 even. Combat that actually feels like combat.
    If anyone else agrees with this, please let your voice be heard.

Ehh, if it is too action based I won't play it. My hands and wrists are a mess from years of rock climbing. What I saw in the videos actually looks fine...any faster, and I'll leave it to the kids who grew up with consoles, and have 8 fingers and 2 thumbs on each hand, and continue my search for an old mans MMO. Maybe something with dice, and hand drawn maps...oh wait. LOL

Too early to pass judgment, but MMO's are getting out of hand with the twitch based mechanics.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    What I keep hearing from people who have actually had hands on time is the game if fast paced, but you're also not mashing buttons like a chimp on meth.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • grimwulfgrimwulf Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    What I keep hearing from people who have actually had hands on time is the game if fast paced, but you're also not mashing buttons like a chimp on meth.

I hope not,if I want to play an action fighter game Ill fire up the XBox.
  • rendalynrendalyn Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The enemies need to be much faster. I want to be scared when Im attacking a ogre.b:shocked
    Not just waiting for his telegraphed attack, get out of the way, and then hit him 20 times before his next attack. I think the players vs enemies could be better balanced, as far as attack speed.
  • jogoskanindragonjogoskanindragon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 143 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    In my oppinion, the combat speed is not so important because the powers you use will make all the work for you.

The time and combination of powers make the enemy stun, being pushed/pulled, fall prone. And i think the powers will have cooldowns according their lvl/ stats. You attack speed must be seriouly balanced because you will have a lot of ways to control the enemy (stuning / paralizing/ fall prone, etc...).

I think the fighters job will be get the agroo wile the wizard control the battlefield with AoEs and DoTs powers. The rogue usualy will be the faster on the attack speed but he dont use heavy armors and not have much HP as a fighter.

Sorry if my english is not good. i'm from, Brazil.
  • valas625valas625 Member Posts: 195 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    I'm curious as to how environment will play into combat. I loved pushing people off of cliffs, castles, or other ruins. I wondered if this would work, and as to how it would work if so.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    valas625 wrote: »
    I'm curious as to how environment will play into combat. I loved pushing people off of cliffs, castles, or other ruins. I wondered if this would work, and as to how it would work if so.

As I just said elsewhere, it is very possible it is implemented. Simply because it has jump mechanics and it is possible in DDO. Also we see wizards picking people up with spells and all. Also fighters pushing mobs with boards.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    As I just said elsewhere, it is very possible it is implemented. Simply because it has jump mechanics and it is possible in DDO. Also we see wizards picking people up with spells and all. Also fighters pushing mobs with boards.

Don't forget the Fall Mechanic too which I believe you found for me.

Is there falling damage? Do I heal if I do fall? Can I die from it?

Updated 09/25/2012: This was revealed to us in this video noting this at this specific spot. We do seem to begin to heal instantly if we fall in the city, but that is all we have found publicly at the time of this response.

(Note: This answer will be updated as we receive new information.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Don't forget the Fall Mechanic too which I believe you found for me.

That may not be true and just speculation also. The dev may have been playing in God mode (so healing part is a speculation) but the health did decrease. So falling damage I am sure, is there - but healing in cities we need more videos to be sure.

p.s. They did demo the foundry in god mode I think.
  • aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    I think the current speed is perfect any slower it becomes boring and faster it becomes annoying. I do not want to go in overdrive mod for each crappy zombie in my path because he moves like Flash Gordon
  • trollololloltrollolollol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    I think this kind of combat works nicely for MMOs, fast-paced combat is something what Funcom did with Age of Conan and Sony with DUCO and it wasnt so well received anyway.
  • adamantium1adamantium1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Slow low level attack speed makes perfect sense too. Just pick up a sword for yourself and see how clumsy you are when you try to swing it..

No no no. Swordplay is not clumsy. Its fast and deadly. Just because you are untrained and just pick up a sword for the first time and it seems clumsy doesn't make it so.
  • jadescimitarjadescimitar Member Posts: 716 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    aeroth001 wrote: »
    I think the current speed is perfect any slower it becomes boring and faster it becomes annoying. I do not want to go in overdrive mod for each crappy zombie in my path because he moves like Flash Gordon

seconded! and it beats the "auto attack" of most mmo games
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    This city promises death for the meek, glory for the bold, danger for all, and riches for Jade!
    Elven Trickster Rogue: Two-bladed elf, tons of stabby stabby and that sort of thing...
    | R. A. Salvatore | My Minions | Forgotten Realms Wiki | Elven Translator |
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Trust me when I say looking at the demo and video closer, you don't want the combat any closer. Just look at that video wizard outdoors with the buildings all around in the enclave where Andy loses concentration (or whoever was moving it) for one moment and they swarmed the wizzie. Backpedaling and aiming and looking for those fire keys would not be easy if I had to do that for example!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited September 2012
    No no no. Swordplay is not clumsy. Its fast and deadly. Just because you are untrained and just pick up a sword for the first time and it seems clumsy doesn't make it so.

No No No.
    When you are level one it's the first time you pick up a sword and are untrained. Fighting is only fast and deadly at high levels when you know what you are doing.

Which is why I said low level slow combat speed makes sense. ;-)
  • pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    No No No.
    When you are level one it's the first time you pick up a sword and are untrained. Fighting is only fast and deadly at high levels when you know what you are doing.

Which is why I said low level slow combat speed makes sense. ;-)

I always thought at low level your foot work and general condition was more important. Guess I'm kind of agreeing here . lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild