test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Classes beyond launch

oldskylanceroldskylancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
I'd like to know the timetable or thought process being given to increasing the classes beyond intial release. 4th Ed. has a plethora of vibrant classes and combinations of classes that I'd like to see implemented. I'd also like to migrate my tabletop game into this MMO but 5 classes is far too few. The game has been pushed back well over a year, has this at all been addressed? I'd even be open to micro-transactions of classes beyond the basic ones offered.
e84df321-2eb4-4d3b-97d2-854aa247afc4_zps96a2cec8.jpg

Orcus bane, Knight-wanderer of the Sword Coast
Post edited by oldskylancer on

Comments

• Options
    nightelf34nightelf34 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'd even be open to micro-transactions of classes beyond the basic ones offered.

If I am not wrong the will let ya do this in time...
  • Options
    addacalaraddacalar Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The only class I care about is the Ranger. No Ranger=not interested
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    addacalar wrote: »
    The only class I care about is the Ranger. No Ranger=not interested

Yeah same with me, I am hoping it is at least a purchasable class at launch.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I will go Ranger too and I think we will get them
  • Options
    viledeeds77#8676 viledeeds77 Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    For those hoping for Ranger I refer you to this wallpaper. I DL'd it from Cryptic and I added the Neverwinter logo to the bottom, but look to the far right figure, to me that's a ranger.

Edit: On a side note the far left figure to me looks like a Cleric.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    faleth77 wrote: »
    For those hoping for Ranger I refer you to this wallpaper. I DL'd it from Cryptic and I added the Neverwinter logo to the bottom, but look to the far right figure, to me that's a ranger.

nice b:pleased
  • Options
    subway7850subway7850 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Good job faleth77

Thinking of to go ranger aswell.
  • Options
    surf13surf13 Member Posts: 560 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    faleth77 wrote: »

Indeed it does.

Unfortunately it's not the Twin Strike Ranger :cry:
  • Options
    razorrxgdbrazorrxgdb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Yep, the iconic five original NW art. When the site went live that was the original background. * cries* that was before the forum move when I lost my user name and we were invaded by bear icons!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    *sigh* I feel ya.
  • Options
    sobleaksobleak Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Where is my Barbarian or Warlock or Sorcerer or Scout or....or...or....

I am sure if launch is successful Ranger would be in the top five classes to get implemented after launch if it is not available at launch.

And on the Subject of Post launch I would also love to see prestige classes but the game isnt even out yet so people should stop complaining about what isn't even available to beta test yet.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Agreed! But I still dearly want to see Twin Strike Ranger and Tempest Fighter at some stage :P
  • Options
    jedidethfreak823jedidethfreak823 Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Yeah same with me, I am hoping it is at least a purchasable class at launch.

If they force the Ranger - or any class in the Player's Handbook - to be locked behind a microtransaction, I'm done with Cryptic. I already accepted the fact that I'd never get my $300 out of STO due to them not supporting the base game as they should have and putting most of their post-launch focus on the cash shop. I won't accept them nickel-and-diming their playerbase again. I don't care if it's free-to-play. That just means that the shady things they're doing in other games are coming here. That DOESN'T mean they need to give their players the middle finger along with it.
  • Options
    viledeeds77#8676 viledeeds77 Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    sobleak wrote: »
    Where is my Barbarian or Warlock or Sorcerer or Scout or....or...or....

I am sure if launch is successful Ranger would be in the top five classes to get implemented after launch if it is not available at launch.

And on the Subject of Post launch I would also love to see prestige classes but the game isnt even out yet so people should stop complaining about what isn't even available to beta test yet.

Warlock, Sorcerer, or Wizard could be the figure just to the left of the Fighter in the middle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jadescimitarjadescimitar Member Posts: 716 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    If we are making requests:

Where's my "doodad?"

I love Pikel Bouldershoulder, we need more green dwarves running around... b:laugh

JS
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    This city promises death for the meek, glory for the bold, danger for all, and riches for Jade!
    Elven Trickster Rogue: Two-bladed elf, tons of stabby stabby and that sort of thing...
    | R. A. Salvatore | My Minions | Forgotten Realms Wiki | Elven Translator |
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    If they force the Ranger - or any class in the Player's Handbook - to be locked behind a microtransaction, I'm done with Cryptic. I already accepted the fact that I'd never get my $300 out of STO due to them not supporting the base game as they should have and putting most of their post-launch focus on the cash shop. I won't accept them nickel-and-diming their playerbase again. I don't care if it's free-to-play. That just means that the shady things they're doing in other games are coming here. That DOESN'T mean they need to give their players the middle finger along with it.

I get the feeling you are going to be done with Cryptic no matter what...it will just take four or five years of you telling us that you're done with them on the forums after the game launches. /eyeroll
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    subway7850subway7850 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    If they force the Ranger - or any class in the Player's Handbook - to be locked behind a microtransaction, I'm done with Cryptic.

Handbook = money
    Game = free

Your choice....

As a "gold" member in DO one gets access to more classes, and I have a feeling it will be the same in NW.

Lets be fair, to leave the ranger out of the game would be silly, its just a matter if we get it for free or have to pay for the class (either as micro transaction or subscription).
  • Options
    aaronh42aaronh42 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Generally I play Gish characters. So, hoping for Swordmage, Bladesinger, something along those lines.
  • Options
    smallville77smallville77 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I like the melee type myself,

the Guardian Fighter or Trickster Rogue sounds right up my alley, but a Ranger would be cool too.

Irregardless, I am excited for the Beta to begin!

b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    slayogornslayogorn Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Pixie Vampire! *joking*
    Nah the can take their time until we get those ridiculous 4e combinations :)
  • Options
    ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    subway7850 wrote: »
    Handbook = money
    Game = free

Your choice....

As a "gold" member in DO one gets access to more classes, and I have a feeling it will be the same in NW.

Lets be fair, to leave the ranger out of the game would be silly, its just a matter if we get it for free or have to pay for the class (either as micro transaction or subscription).

To be honest, Cryptic did promise that the only thing in the shop will be cosmetics and convenience items (I suspect XP pots, loot boosts, mounts and the like). Not game essentials like classes or builds. Now, I won't believe a word of it until I'll see it, but it'd be pretty lame of them to break their promises like that from the get-go. I mean, they're advertising this as a full f2p game not a sub/freemium one, so they'd better build it accordingly.

Besides, one of the biggest draws of NWO vs DDO is that you (allegedly) won't have to drop cash regularly to keep up with the game.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    It's difficult to say the timetable of these future classes when the original release classes don't have a final timetable!

Personally though I'm rooting for bard ext, but am persuadable to other classes too.
    I get the feeling you are going to be done with Cryptic no matter what...it will just take four or five years of you telling us that you're done with them on the forums after the game launches. /eyeroll

Well then, can I have your stu...oops, wrong game! (Inside other MMO forum post joke.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jedidethfreak823jedidethfreak823 Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Well then, can I have your stu...oops, wrong game! (Inside other MMO forum post joke.)

I'd give you all of my stuff in STO, if it weren't for the fact that anything and everything worth a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> is bind-on-pickup.
  • Options
    valas625valas625 Member Posts: 195 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    I'd give you all of my stuff in STO, if it weren't for the fact that anything and everything worth a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> is bind-on-pickup.

Yea, I always found that annoying. EVERYTHING in WoW was bind on pickup. I was like...this is a level 20 pair of boots. Are you serious? Now for NWO, that'd be like level 2, but still. I'll give ya, artifacts, rare items, etc should have a restriction of some sort. Just hope they don't go making every piece of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> you replace in an hour BoP. At least make it BoA or something, so if I decide to build different on another rogue it means I can be a little more daring. LOVE rogue tanking, and if I can do it low level, hells yea! Always hated having to level the same way due to having the same gear. I like to switch it up if I can.
  • Options
    pegoliuspegolius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 62
    edited September 2012
    We need more classes than the Fighting-Man, Magic-User and the Cleric?
    "It is a mistake to bow to the wishes of munchkins who whine." - E. Gary Gygax 1938-2008
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited September 2012
    There was another thread about bound items a while back. Here's a link.

My own detailed opinions can be seen in there so I'll just sumarize in a couple of lines...
    Bound items have a place in games, they aren't inherently bad, but I hope Cryptic has taken a look at the negative responses to bound items in other games including STO to realize binding items to give purpose to delving dungeons isn't a liked feature.

As for classes being unlocked by micro-transaction, it wouldn't bother me depending on the class. The true core classes such as Ranger, Paladin, Bard...etc. should be free. End of story.
    But as a company Cryptic does have to entice us to pay *something.*

I can enjoy a game without paying for non-core classes and arguably to spend a few bucks to get a class that would interest me doesn't seem like a huge problem. They are making the game free to play but we should keep in mind that doesn't mean everything should be free.
    I'm happy as long as I can play and never feel like I'm losing out by not buying something. No class in D&D (should) be so amazing that I feel like other classes are a waste of time. Alternately I can't say I would feel the same for powerful potions, stat boosts, and physical items in games only purchasable with real currency.

As the wise old saying goes, pick and choose your battles. Having to pay for some classes doesn't make the game pay to win-at least not to me.
    And pay to win is the only thing I'll fight.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited September 2012

As for classes being unlocked by micro-transaction, it wouldn't bother me depending on the class. The true core classes such as Ranger, Paladin, Bard...etc. should be free. End of story.
    But as a company Cryptic does have to entice us to pay *something.*

My speculation:-
    If you listen to CEO's that video on D&D digital(? or something) he says that most people come back when a class is released. Putting the two numbers together I would say classes would be released slowly after launch to entice people into coming back in game.
  • Options
    catburger003catburger003 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'd like to see more races than classes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want to HAMSTER in Neverwinter, whenever I want, for as long as I want.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited September 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    My speculation:-
    If you listen to CEO's that video on D&D digital(? or something) he says that most people come back when a class is released. Putting the two numbers together I would say classes would be released slowly after launch to entice people into coming back in game.

I wouldn't doubt it. That's what keeps me interested in playing any D&D game.
    As I said earlier on a different thread, D&D is about the journey, not the destination. I have fun building the characters and the more classes that are available the more times I can unique enjoy the journey.

As long as they don't consider 4-5 free classes enough free classes I wouldn't mind having to pay for some additional ones.
    If it makes the game more enjoyable it makes the game more enjoyable.

I would say we *need* more than 4-5 free classes, but if we get all the core classes for free you don't *need* classes like Sword Mage, Assassin etc.
    To me pay to win crosses the line when I feel like I *need* to buy something to advance and I don't feel that classes are generally a need.

Although, with the same concept of hooking players in, it could be just as beneficial to make them free to hook players back in. Afterall if they get the players to continue to play there's more chances they'll buy vanity items and such.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited September 2012

I would say we *need* more than 4-5 free classes, but if we get all the core classes for free you don't *need* classes like Sword Mage, Assassin etc.
    To me pay to win crosses the line when I feel like I *need* to buy something to advance and I don't feel that classes are generally a need.

From how I understand, classes would be free but released PW game style. They released fishmen quite sometime back and later earthguard - both of them were free. So NW races would probably be free to (the impression from interview), afterall they are sharing data with PW's experience. But if they are releasing classes/races as paid - I would like if some rare classes are released as paid as they would be less.