test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How did DnD change your life?

thunderspankerthunderspanker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 713 Bounty Hunter
edited August 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
You can tell just by going on the google that Dungeons and Dragons is the king of games. Maybe it isnt the most played online game, but it changed the world in a lot of ways. For me, i discovered DnD in 1977, the same year i discovered Star Wars.. needless to say, Star Wars was a lot more accepted socially. lol..

So there we were, hiding in the attic at Steve's house, his mom downstairs canning saurkraut.. the smells were an amazing form of torture all their own.. Rolling our first toons, learning character sheets, reading and reading and reading, and did i mention reading? Little did i know at the time i was funding my imagination with all kinds of thinking outside the box, but that is a different story....

Over the next few years, we used every allowance, every dime of lunch money, every glass bottle taken back to the store, we did slave labor to afford the magic books that held our minds hostage. We had all of it.. And then they made more. Back to slave labor... lol. During this whole time, Dungeons and Dragons was labeled "satan's game".. luckily our parents werent idiots.. for that i have to thank them right here. THANX MOM AND DAD!!!

At about this time, WOTC bought DnD, and NOBODY was happy. We were so unhappy that we coveted our stuff. we held it to the highest standards of care.. those books were taken care of like they were museum pieces. Then someone stole them. lol. life sucks that way.

I stopped gaming for a long time, due to growing up and real life getting in the way, married with kids, etc and whatnot..

Now that i have aged quite a bit, or not much at all depending on how you look at it, I saw a lot of games come and go, but the DnD games always held a great audience. Now that i am old enough to be less busy, i can be a kid again, and relive, in some small way, those days of Dungeons and Dragons and the mortifying smells that went with it. You just cant compare any other game. The people these days only know the standards set by a couple very successful games, but both of those games owe every bit of their game to DnD. Every single thing.

Dungeons and Dragons had a very profound effect on everything ive ever done. Simply interacting with other people in a social context, but then adding the drive to come up with ideas, and use them to proceed.. that is the kind of thinking that makes champions of any profession or endeavor. It is the stuff legends are made of.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Himmelville - Are you easily frightened?
Click Here

On one side of the mountain, there were bones...
Post edited by thunderspanker on

Comments

• Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    D&D and M&M are two of my favorite fantasy settings. Though one is famous and one is amost lost to oblivion. It didn't really change my life or anything but was a good way to pass time, and to keep referring monty python continuously and laugh at same old jokes over and over...

Yeah, the monty python's link with D&D needs investigation, so does the speed of the swallow...
  • Options
    ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
    So there we were, hiding in the attic at Steve's house, his mom downstairs canning saurkraut.. the smells were an amazing form of torture all their own.. Rolling our first toons, learning character sheets, reading and reading and reading, and did i mention reading? Little did i know at the time i was funding my imagination with all kinds of thinking outside the box, but that is a different story....

MY mother freaked when my father sent me my redbox in 82, saying all this doomsayer/witchcraft <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> as she had heard about kids that were well harming themselves or each other ect. I snuck out to the bin retrieved the books dice then hid, amongst other books, my brother and i, would go to a friends house and then leave all our stuff there, most of my pocket money went to books adventures ect to buy which i still have beside me in my pc hutch as i type, the redbox, expert, campanion, master's and immortals sets, ToEE adventure, original ravenloft and Village of hommlet, the list goes on.
    at that time who would have known, this would be our saviour from the stap father from hell, allowed us to branch out and not think about too much that was going on at home, we would stay at our friends houses and roll dice from friday night to sunday afternoon, then reluctantly go home, but was all woth it.

Back in the 80's there was alot of bad press about D&d but i would say, that this is a positve, and im sure there are hundreds of thousands of other positives, but witchunters only ever bring up the bad, i think for sure this harmed the game at some point, gave it a bad stigma, even hurt Gary Gygax.

Not sure if anyone has seen this, and was reluctant to post this, but if admin has a problem they can take it down, if they feel im trying to advertise or add spam here. i wish them well in there project and have donated $50.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/andrewpascal/dungeons-and-dragons-a-documentary