test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Pet Classes & Others

barcajochibarcajochi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
edited January 2013 in The Thieves' Den
I guess there is no pet class included at launch for Neverwinter? Unless pets are included through a separate mechanic, i think I remember reading something about that.

Personally love playing a pet class, and it would seem logical given Guenwhyvar for example was so integral to D&D stories. Or maybe also some kind of summoner/necromancer type class. Not familiar with the D&D rules so much so not sure if that type of class exists but i guess that would go into wizard thread. On that note, I'd also be thrilled to see a metamorph class. Had a fun time playing a Druid in Neverwinter Nights.

Looking forward to launch. I hope I'm not too addicted to GW2 by then.
Post edited by barcajochi on

Comments

• Options
    perdidurperdidur Member Posts: 67
    edited August 2012
    I hope pets are eventually included since my favorite class is a Ranger with a Wolf. Maybe a Beastmaster will be one of the premium classes we can buy in the store or they might be added at some point as the classes are expanded after launch. I guess I can live without a pet but I will be very disappointed if the basic Ranger isn't included at launch.
  • Options
    ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Well, it seems like the rangers have been in development, and they plan to have them in the game eventually. Hard to tell if that'll be at launch, or one of the first additions after launch.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Pets would be there, either in launch or later during expansions. The devs have many time said this with hints on customising the pets. They may probably have riding companions too.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Well, I think the question here is more whether those are the cosmetic fluff pets (which I'm almost 100% sure will be in the game), or if there are also pets that do real combat support.

Mounts would be cool, but only justified if the outdoor areas are large enough, and if combat mechanics incorporates them in a special manner. Otherwise, they're just fluff, too.
  • Options
    aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Pets would be there, either in launch or later during expansions. The devs have many time said this with hints on customising the pets. They may probably have riding companions too.
    Source, please?
  • Options
    barcajochibarcajochi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    If everyone gets a pet, still means theres not pet class IMO.

I just hope pets get included in more than just a mule or gopher role ie torchlight.

Is it confirmed that there will be premium classes in Neverwinter? Anyone know how many?
  • Options
    nightfallrobbnightfallrobb Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I would be surprised if the rangers don't show up at some point. It's kind of hard to have a
    D & D based game with no rangers, paladins, or clerics. They may not be immediately available, but I'm sure they're coming.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    aavarius wrote: »
    Source, please?

hmm... well you can find my ideas thread and then link the pets, mounts section to go to the post and then click at right top corner to see the thread. It is archived but should still have necessary info.
    Or you can listen to a podcast one year ago on neverwinter nights where one of the devs gave an interview.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2012
    Since pets will be included at some point I highly doubt they'd be purely cosmetic. Most classes "pets" are far more than man's best friend and share some deeper bond with their masters than a traveling companion.

However I think it's fairly safe to say we won't be getting any "pet classes."
    If I'm reading your post correctly barcajochi you want to play *as* the pet. Your friend has a Drow Ranger named "How Original" and you want to have your character be the Dire Panther companion, correct?

While I think it's likely we'll have classes with familiars, animal companions or eventually even shapeshifters which might allot temporary beast character control I do not think we'll be seeing players able to create beast race characters to be companions to the normal characters.
    The concept of playing as a companion is something you might see in PnP out of necessity but not in video games.

About classes at launch: Fighter, Rogue, Wizard, Cleric and (possibly) Ranger.
    They stated 5 classes will be available at launch but only confirmed the first four officially in recent history. They basically swept the past comments on Rangers under the carpet. There will not be any more classes at launch.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    About classes at launch: Fighter, Rogue, Wizard, Cleric and (possibly) Ranger.
    They stated 5 classes will be available at launch but only confirmed the first four officially in recent history. They basically swept the past comments on Rangers under the carpet. There will not be any more classes at launch.

This is a bit sad, actually. If rangers aren't there at launch, and rogues don't allow for decent ranged builds, I'll end up having to roll the typical female dwarf cleric.

On topic, I'll just add that I hope to Ao that the pet/companion AI is actually smarter than a wooden floor tile. This part is completely unBEARable in DDO b:angry
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2012
    They aren't stating that they won't be at launch. I think the last time I saw stormshade post on the matter he confirmed all of the first four but said 'no comment' for Rangers. He didn't say they were only releasing four now or state Rangers won't be the fifth class.

As for the AI I also hope it's greatly improved compared to other games. I was never a huge fan of companions because of their garbage AI tending to have them run off fighting things when they were intended to stay next to the player or run around the battlefield confused on who to attack.

I know it's not easy to program a good AI for companions but damn it always feels like no matter what I want them to do they do the opposite.
    Sneak:Attack.
    Pile:Attack a different creature
    Spread out the Fight:Pile
    Follow:Stay

After a while I just accepted it's easier to deal with things on my own than to have to worry about the IQ Equivalency of a shovel AI.
    Thinking about my bad experiences with AI makes it sound great if a friend could take over the AI of your companion but I think it'd be unlikely.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Not sure why this is in the rogues class forums instead of the discussion forums, but long story short:

While the ranger builds does have a companion one called Beastmaster, this was made for the book/tabletop edition and the above posts detailing the AI issues hold true (but they have improved in multiple games overall.) And the discussion of pets by developers might have been done more when this game was a limited co-op than a full MMO. And unofficially speaking, I've seen cleric info discussed elsewhere, but not ranger since the MMO transition in regards to play-testing.

Overall, we'll have to wait and see as we get closer to launch to see if anything is mentioned about pets.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    whipschmuckwhipschmuck Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I also hope they allow conjurer-type spells. Summoning elementals and/or demons would be pretty cool in this game. Or how about a necromancer? :D
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Positive I saw a summoner wizard screenshot once, so highly liklely. Whether this is a temp monster or summons "pets" like the co op would have done I do not know. Been pretty quiet on the pet/summoning info end.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nachinekonachineko Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I doubt they'll be available at launch, balancing them can be a royal pita. The mechanics for controlling them should be fairly simple though, engage and disengage. They have no abilities of their own, and would simply be reacting to your actions.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    nachineko wrote: »
    I doubt they'll be available at launch, balancing them can be a royal pita. The mechanics for controlling them should be fairly simple though, engage and disengage. They have no abilities of their own, and would simply be reacting to your actions.

Yep, I know one of the reasons they mentioned the delay for "polish" was to test balance, but no details to share here unfortunately. I'm sure they are working on the features like this if not specifically this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jadescimitarjadescimitar Member Posts: 716 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Yep, I know one of the reasons they mentioned the delay for "polish" was to test balance, but no details to share here unfortunately. I'm sure they are working on the features like this if not specifically this.

What balance? All I want is a little green fairy dragon to follow me around make wise cracks and drop fairy dust from his wings as he flutters about, no need to balance that right?

JS
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    This city promises death for the meek, glory for the bold, danger for all, and riches for Jade!
    Elven Trickster Rogue: Two-bladed elf, tons of stabby stabby and that sort of thing...
    | R. A. Salvatore | My Minions | Forgotten Realms Wiki | Elven Translator |
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,847 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    what all is there in the way of pets for Neverwinter? As i've posted else where, I had a group of friends not too long ago get me into the pen and paper stuff, but then some had to move leaving me with high and dry on that front so i have no clue what types of things can get summoned or just have as pets.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    what all is there in the way of pets for Neverwinter? As i've posted else where, I had a group of friends not too long ago get me into the pen and paper stuff, but then some had to move leaving me with high and dry on that front so i have no clue what types of things can get summoned or just have as pets.

Beastmaster and Fey Beast Trainer are two themes that give you an animal companion or Pet respectively. These are tabletop things though not this MMO game necessarily.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nachinekonachineko Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Anyone trained in Arcana has the option to pick a feat that grants them a familiar, which is usually a non-combat pet with passive and active bonuses.

Several classes (and class builds) grant you access to summoned creatures. The two listed above, Psion, and a number of others to boot.

As stated above however, it isn't entirely clear how these will be represented in the game, if at all. You can bet that vanity/utility pets will make an appearance though as they often sell quite well.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    nachineko wrote: »
    Anyone trained in Arcana has the option to pick a feat that grants them a familiar, which is usually a non-combat pet with passive and active bonuses.

Several classes (and class builds) grant you access to summoned creatures. The two listed above, Psion, and a number of others to boot.

As stated above however, it isn't entirely clear how these will be represented in the game, if at all. You can bet that vanity/utility pets will make an appearance though as they often sell quite well.

I'm betting something like Bridge Officers (BOFFs) or other Companion made in a D&D theme.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    johnnybigodejohnnybigode Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Well, I don't see many people talking about the druids. I would love to see druids (summoners, shapeshifters, elementals, swarm, sentinel and primal guardian) in this game!
  • Options
    morbicmorbic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I've always wanted a game where the pet evolves along with the main character in a true sense. Maybe I'm an Elementalist who picks a certain element for my pet that starts off only being able to do minor abilities like start campfires or create a distraction against an enemy. Later on it becomes a fully functional fire elemental with ranged attacks, fire-shield defense, and the ability to contribute on its own. Or maybe I'm a Necromancer type character with a spirit companion that starts off only being able to find corpses of carrion to posses and moves steadily toward larger and more dangerous corpse possessions as I grow in experience. Or a Summoner that starts off with imps and works its way up toward higher demons.