test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Spell Darkness

borisbotborisbot Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 88
edited December 2012 in The Thieves' Den
Please allow rogues to use cast darkness, unless one of the hybrid class will be able to pick up this spell. If you do allow this, keep the visual way it is in nwn1(not sure how it differ from other nwn, DDO). Also think if the players stand in the darkness spell their nameplates or raid frames should be covered in darkness, only people within the darkness could see it. Only thing different I would like to see v.s. nwn1 smaller radius.
Post edited by borisbot on

Comments

• tuukkasalonentuukkasalonen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Wasn't it assassin who could cast Darkness on NWN and while we're at it rogues abilities are already revealed (i think!)
    I am inactive and I know it
  • vangaldvangald Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 325 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    Darkness

That wasn't so hard.
  • valkhadvalkhad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    What about the Drow racial power? Would you be okay with that?
    edited May 2012
    Where would you put hotkey for racial powers. Tell me that first :D
  • vindiconvindicon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Where would you put hotkey for racial powers. Tell me that first :D

Keyboards have 10 number keys, 12 f keys, 26 letter keys, and a few other keys. Then you can double and triple the amount of keys by holding down Ctrl or Shift...

I'm pretty sure that they could fit a couple racials somewhere in that spaceb:laugh...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2012
    Ye, but have you watched video where they explain game mechanics? They're not like wows...
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Ye, but have you watched video where they explain game mechanics? They're not like wows...

anglomyr is right. they are worried about those few buttons and limited the options in game to make it active real time combat, so i will not be surprized that they won't entertain adding any more hotkeys.

However, we can have a passive - e.g. whenever a drow blood is spilled, there is 2% chance of casting the spell darkness because of the power of blood. How would that be?
  • nyseyusnyseyus Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I would like to hope it would be a drow only thing, and not something general rogues get O_o
    edited May 2012
    Even when i'd like to play as drow i actulaly wish that they wouldn't make drow cause its not fun to see every street full of drows when city is *human* city...THat'll most likely happen
    edited June 2012
    Even when i'd like to play as drow i actulaly wish that they wouldn't make drow cause its not fun to see every street full of drows when city is *human* city...THat'll most likely happen

The same thing a dev said in an interview year ago - neverwinter would perhaps be full of drows and tieflings, which would be unusual, but we will just have to deal with it.
    edited June 2012
    Ye. Good thing is that most likely only like 10% if even that amount will RP. 'Cause 'true rpers' know how stupid it would be that surface human city would be full of drows and tieflings...at least those who i consider 'true rpers' whatsoevah (we all got our own 'true rpers' thou)
  • torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Well, there are a lot of parallel planes. Instead of fighting or overlooking the situation we could embrace it and create a backstory in our lore where the different racial demographic makes sense. We don't have to be confined by another interpretation or settings.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    *Looks at topic* Spell Darkness

Odd, but fine:

D-A_R_K_N_E_S_S

ANything else? :P

Seriously, the power is linked to the Drow race or assassin class as prevously mentioned. If it comes up, it would be linked to one or both of those. I'll stop here as the other posts pretty much covered the variants/skills related to an action MMO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • varadelarmgovaradelarmgo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    'Cause 'true rpers' know how stupid it would be that surface human city would be full of drows

That you know of.

b:avoid

btw, it's just "Drow" even when plural.
  • vangaldvangald Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 325 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2012
    *Looks at topic* Spell Darkness

Odd, but fine:

D-A_R_K_N_E_S_S

ANything else? :P

Seriously, the power is linked to the Drow race or assassin class as prevously mentioned. If it comes up, it would be linked to one or both of those. I'll stop here as the other posts pretty much covered the variants/skills related to an action MMO.

Beat you buy a page. ;D
    edited June 2012
    btw, it's just "Drow" even when plural.

Not really. Drow is a fictional word created by gary for dark elves race. So just like elf is reffered to elves, human reffered as humans - drow should also have a plural.

Also drow is adapted from trow. As plural of trow is trows, plural of drow logically follows to be drows.

p.s. Note to self: Damn... it feels so good when you know you are right about something because you already had a quarrel with someone about it years ago which made you research

EDIT1: Dwarf as dwarves, gnome as gnomes, fairy as fairies... etc
  • varadelarmgovaradelarmgo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Not really. Drow is a fictional word created by gary for dark elves race. So just like elf is reffered to elves, human reffered as humans - drow should also have a plural.

Also drow is adapted from trow. As plural of trow is trows, plural of drow logically follows to be drows.

Saying something has an -s on the end because other words do is short sighted. Say hello to exceptions, you should be pretty used to them in the english language.

Go here -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drow_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)

Use your word finder to find "drows". If you want to be lazy then no need to fear, I've already done so. There are 0 entries of "drows" there. I've also played D&D for 10+ years and read a good amount of books about drow. In no frame of reference has any author used the word "drows".

Another interesting piece of info. If you type "The Drows are coming" in google it wants to change "drows" to "doors" yet when you take off the -s it has no qualms with it.

How dumb would it be if the faerun book was "Drows of the Underdark"? lol.
    edited June 2012
    Saying something has an -s on the end because other words do is short sighted. Say hello to exceptions, you should be pretty used to them in the english language.

Go here -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drow_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)

Use your word finder to find "drows". If you want to be lazy then no need to fear, I've already done so. There are 0 entries of "drows" there. I've also played D&D for 10+ years and read a good amount of books about drow. In no frame of reference has any author used the word "drows".

Another interesting piece of info. If you type "The Drows are coming" in google it wants to change "drows" to "doors" yet when you take off the -s it has no qualms with it.

How dumb would it be if the faerun book was "Drows of the Underdark"? lol.

*sigh*
    You call me dumb, short sighted, not used to english ... but still fail to present any logical argument. It won't become so because you want it to be so.

<<so much name-calling for a fictional word which technically is not even the part of English language>>

*sigh* wikipedia is not a good source to quote. Here you go:
    E. Cobham Brewer 1810?1897. Dictionary of Phrase and Fable. 1898.

Drows

or Trows. A sort of fairy race, residing in hills and caverns. They are curious artificers in iron and precious metals. (Zetland superstition.) 1
    ?I hung about thy neck that gifted chain, which all in our isles know was wrought by no earthly artist, but by the Drows in the secret recesses of their caverns.??Scott: The Pirate, chap. x.

had to do extra work and find it:
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Drow can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drow

Both kinds. Also, the "see also" ones. But it's a wiki so it's as only as good as its contributors.

All that written--

From the historical listing:
    According to Sir Walter Scott: 'Possession of supernatural wisdom is still imputed by the natives of Orkney and Zetland Islands, to the people called Drows, who may, in most other respects, be identified with the Caledonian fairies.'[2]

2^ Sir Walter Scott, Letters on Demonology and Witchcraft (1830), p. 122. Sometimes "drow" is used as a synonym for devil.

From the Fantasy Listing:
    Publication history

The word "drow" is from the Orcadian and Shetlandic dialects of Scots,[5] an alternative form of "trow" (both of which come from the Nordic d?kk?lfar),[6] which is a cognate for "troll". The Oxford English Dictionary gives no entry for "drow", but two of the citations under "trow" name it as an alternative form of the word. Trow/drow was used to refer to a wide variety of evil sprites. Except for the basic concept of "dark elves", everything else about the Dungeons & Dragon drow was invented by Gary Gygax.[7]
    Dungeons & Dragons co-creator Gary Gygax stated that "Drow are mentioned in Keightley's The Fairy Mythology, as I recall (it might have been The Secret Commonwealth--neither book is before me, and it is not all that important anyway), and as Dark Elves of evil nature, they served as an ideal basis for the creation of a unique new mythos designed especially for the AD&D game."[8] The form "drow" can be found in neither work.[9] Gygax later stated that he took the term from a "listing in the Funk & Wagnall's Unexpurgated Dictionary, and no other source at all. I wanted a most unusual race as the main power in the Underdark, so used the reference to "dark elves" from the dictionary to create the Drow."[10] There seems to be no work with this title. However, the following entry can be found in abridged editions of Funk & Wagnall's Standard Dictionary of the English Language, such as The Desk Standard Dictionary of the English Language: "[Scot.] In folk-lore, one of a race of underground elves represented as skilful workers in metal. Compare TROLL. [Variant of TROLL.] trow"

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st edition (1977-1988)
    The drow were first mentioned in the Dungeons & Dragons game in the 1st Edition 1977 Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual under the "Elf" entry, where it is stated that "The 'Black Elves,' or drow, are only legend." No statistics are given for the drow in this book, apart from the statistics for normal elves, and only a single paragraph is written about them. The drow are described here as purportedly dwelling deep beneath the surface world, in strange subterranean realms. They are said to be evil, "as dark as faeries are bright", and pictured in tales as poor fighters but strong magic-users.....[11]

5^ http://www.dsl.ac.uk/dsl/getent4.php?plen=11075&startset=44442733&query=TROW&fhit=trowe&dregion=entry&dtext=snd#fhit
    6^ a b c d Greenwood, Ed (2007). "Afterword". Dark Warrior Rising: A Novel of Niflheim. Macmillan. pp. 297?298. ISBN 978-0-7653-1765-0.
    7^ Literary Sources of D&D, compiled by Aardy R. DeVarque
    8^ "Books Are Books, Games Are Games" in Dragon Magazine, Nov. 1979, #31
    9^ dev/culture. (2011). On source material.
    10^ http://www.enworld.org/forum/3813928-post34.html
    11^ Gygax, Gary. Monster Manual (TSR, 1977).

So, historically, it's drows when referring to real-world literature, but it's IMPLIED that drow is plural in the D&D world, including from this wiki site. And yes, both pronunciations (DrOW, DrO) have been used, the latter from the historical Scottish brogue pronunciation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    So, historically, it's drows when referring to real-world literature, but it's IMPLIED that drow is plural in the D&D world, including from this wiki site. And yes, both pronunciations (DrOW, DrO) have been used, the latter from the historical Scottish brogue pronunciation.

Yes, and for the record, I won't stop anyone from using either a drow or drows, though latter makes more sense to me because of its roots.
  • karvurkarvur Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    How about the plural of Drizzt since there will be hundreds of variations and emulations?
  • exl3mexl3m Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Don't worry, I used to be pedantic too. It's OK, it'll pass by the time you become an adult.
    edited June 2012
    karvur wrote: »
    How about the plural of Drizzt since there will be hundreds of variations and emulations?
    Officially there is no standard.

Unofficially if there were a slaughter of these "abominations" done publicly and I was logged in, find me for free popcorn.
    exl3m wrote: »
    Don't worry, I used to be pedantic too. It's OK, it'll pass by the time you become an adult.

Does than mean you transition from overly detailed into penitent? Oh wait, we're not doing three syllable words starting with P? My peculiar mistake then.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • exl3mexl3m Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    There is a reason why there is a social stigma attached to many DnD users. With every new post, I see that it is reinforced. b:chuckle
    edited June 2012
    *shudder*
    exl3m wrote: »
    Sorry all hope was lost to me when I decided to take up PhD years before. I am now eternally damned to keep up the pretext, unless it becomes worse.
  • endingdawnendingdawn Member Posts: 61
    edited July 2012
    Dude. The plural form of Drow (meaning the Dark Elves) Is "The Drow" In almost every single mention of the dark elves in numbers. (Except when a not so well speaking goblin/orc/gnoll/etc. . tries to talk about them.) they are called The Drow. Check out the "Legacy of the Drow" series, which talks about the Drow in-mass Constantly. Also in the "War of the Spider Queen" Series.
    edited July 2012
    endingdawn wrote: »
    Dude. The plural form of Drow (meaning the Dark Elves) Is "The Drow" In almost every single mention of the dark elves in numbers. (Except when a not so well speaking goblin/orc/gnoll/etc. . tries to talk about them.) they are called The Drow. Check out the "Legacy of the Drow" series, which talks about the Drow in-mass Constantly. Also in the "War of the Spider Queen" Series.

I don't think you are adding anything to an old buried topic discussed in various threads. I would advise you to read arguments given here and in wiki thread first. But truth has already summarized it in post 20 so there is no need to comment on this any further.
    edited July 2012
    Read it already. The fact is that plural is Drow. Just because a word is plural doesnt mean you add an -s to the end to it. And there is the fact that in this particular version of the word Drow, has no different plural because the authors with D&D have never called them Drows for a plural term.
    edited July 2012
    endingdawn wrote: »
    Read it already. The fact is that plural is Drow. Just because a word is plural doesnt mean you add an -s to the end to it. And there is the fact that in this particular version of the word Drow, has no different plural because the authors with D&D have never called them Drows for a plural term.

And then are you contesting truth's conclusions? Because there are more than one sources to both.

Drow can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drow
    So, historically, it's drows when referring to real-world literature, but it's IMPLIED that drow is plural in the D&D world, including from this ...

Because he summarized everything nicely in the arguments. I will go over all the stuff again and summarize for you.

drow is not a fictional word created by WotC. It is a real word used in literature. Its plural was drows.
    If you are in doubt regarding conclusion 1, sources are:-
    one quoted before, more here.

However, all WotC source material refers to drow as plural and singular. So for D&D drow is correct plural form. It doesn't exclude its real form (drows), just that drow is always used as plural in D&D. Two conclusions can be drawn from it (because of absence of any official stand):-
    - only drow is plural in D&Dverse
    - both drow and drows are correct plural in D&Dverse but drow is more prevalent usage.
    Till there is official statement, both or any of the above are correct.

Which brings me to my statement - drows is not incorrect form. The above also explains your argument:-
    D&D have never called them Drows for a plural term.

That being the reason I asked you to read the above discussion and in wiki. Your argument is redundant and does not add anything new to discussion as this argument has already been considered while discussing the topic before.
    edited August 2012
    Okay. Im beaten, good arguement put forth.
This discussion has been closed.