test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

pickpocket mechanics

werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2013 in The Thieves' Den
will they be in the game? have they been considered? I'll just move this here it seems more appropriate...

my overall ideas and favorite suggestions compiled and updated

-can only target each user (perhaps determined by account or ip, most likley ip as using accounts in a free game may cause people to make mule accounts to exploit this) or npc once per day whether the attempt is successful or not

-perception check against the thief to see if the attempt was successful

- if successful thief will "steal" a small amount of gold or common item that will be awarded to thief but not taken from victim

-when successful thief may receive a minute amout of exp as a small bonus

-if they get caught town/city guard spawns and the character must choose fight or flight either way a bounty will be accrued (a more substantial one if you kill any guards)

-The player must then pay off his/her bounty

-if player does not pay off bounty town/city guards will randomly spawn to catch thief (more frequent for higher the bounty)

-if bounty reaches a certain level player becomes flagged for pvp and the player(s) that successfully neutralize thief then split a fraction of the bounty

(this last part i really like because it creates player events and will let some people play the bounty hunter role)

This to me seems balanced, fair, non-griefing and i belive it adds heavily to the RP i mean come on who dosent want to see a filthy thief get whomped by everyone in the area? (except the terrible thief of course)
21.jpg
Post edited by werealchemist on

Comments

• r555555555555555r555555555555555 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I had always wished they had something like this in DDO or LotRO but, the stealing from players ain't really cool though. Even if they lose nothing. And if they lose nothing, what's the point. Love the idea. Probably ain't gonna see it though.

BlueEyedDevil
  • werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    well what is the point of making a thief if you cant steal stuff?
    21.jpg
  • vindiconvindicon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Well, what's the point in stealing stuff if you don't actually steal them?

Imho, if stolen items are not taken from the actual victim and are instead just dublicated, they might as well replace stealing mechanics altogether with a Santa-Claus NPC givin you some random gift each day... b:tired

Just put some serious limits and make them pay fines to the victim if they get caught, or it's pointless...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tuukkasalonentuukkasalonen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Then again, why would you want that you can steal from other players? If you can steal from NPCs and mobs thats fine enough for me and D&D isnt really like that players are against each others
    I am inactive and I know it
    edited May 2012
    Then again, why would you want that you can steal from other players? If you can steal from NPCs and mobs thats fine enough for me and D&D isnt really like that players are against each others

Well, I personally am neither for nor against stealing being put in-game, but if they do put it then they should use something resembling proper stealing and not something half-assed like stealing from NPCs only or not taking the stolen stuff off the victim's bag... If they wanna let us steal then let us steal properly...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2012
    vindicon wrote: »
    Well, I personally am neither for nor against stealing being put in-game, but if they do put it then they should use something resembling proper stealing and not something half-assed like stealing from NPCs only or not taking the stolen stuff off the victim's bag... If they wanna let us steal then let us steal properly...

Well thats your opinion, i have mine. But for me it just feels to be against D&D if you can steal from other players
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Well, agree or disagree (and I did both when it came to player theft against another player) this definitely is the right location for this topic!

Now if they would just allow the Wizard Class Library Section to post (at the time of this reply they do not,) I'd be happy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Well, agree or disagree (and I did both when it came to player theft against another player) this definitely is the right location for this topic!

Now if they would just allow the Wizard Class Library Section to post (at the time of this reply they do not,) I'd be happy.

Have you tried :-
    Frodo: It's a riddle. "Speak friend and enter." What's the Elvish word for friend?
    Gandalf: Mellon. (door opens)
    ? The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

I hope you do realize its the forum for wizards, yes? Keep trying magic words, post will appear. Or cast a true seeing spell if you are of appropriate level.

EDIT: try elvish word for 'Forum library'
    edited May 2012
    ...Or then just bring barbarian to destroy the place?
    edited May 2012
    Just bring a rogue with a high enough lockpicking skill...
    Come on, one must always bring a rogue when they venture into unknown places, or they'll find themselves stuck in front of locked doors... That's like the basics b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2012
    Just bring a rogue with a high enough lockpicking skill...
    Come on, one must always bring a rogue when they venture into unknown places, or they'll find themselves stuck in front of locked doors... That's like the basics b:chuckle

Frodo was a thief -> successor of bilbo. that explains how they got in maybe.
    edited May 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Frodo was a thief -> successor of bilbo. that explains how they got in maybe.

And Gandalf was Elminster in disguise!
  • dailonihildailonihil Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    But we don't evne know if we have skills yet. :)
    edited May 2012
    dailonihil wrote: »
    But we don't evne know if we have skills yet. :)

if you have watched even one gameplay video you would know that we do
    21.jpg
  • dailonihildailonihil Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Really? Did watch them, must have missed it somehow. Although I do remeber there was a thread where people discussed if skills were in the game, how they would like them to function...

EDIT: Found the summary of what we know so far and last post is from 29th April, so not very far. :)
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=4738
    edited July 2012
    dailonihil wrote: »
    Really? Did watch them, must have missed it somehow. Although I do remeber there was a thread where people discussed if skills were in the game, how they would like them to function...

EDIT: Found the summary of what we know so far and last post is from 29th April, so not very far. :)
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=4738

There should be skills in game, but I don't think it has implicitly ben stated anything regarding skills. But I do believe skills would be there, question is which ones and how.
  • deathtognomesdeathtognomes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 131 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2012
    Well thats your opinion, i have mine. But for me it just feels to be against D&D if you can steal from other players

actually its not against DND rules, there are no rules. There are guidelines for the DM to allow whatever he chooses and if he allows stealing from other players, so be it. There will always be players who abuse the system just because they can, this is the main reason devs dont allow player stealing in very many games. The secondary reason is whiners. b:cry
    "..putting a gnome on the barbie later, you coming?"
    edited July 2012
    actually its not against DND rules, there are no rules. There are guidelines for the DM to allow whatever he chooses and if he allows stealing from other players, so be it. There will always be players who abuse the system just because they can, this is the main reason devs dont allow player stealing in very many games. The secondary reason is whiners. b:cry

There is a previous thread about how to implement "stealing without grieving" in D&D. There were a lot of ideas in that direction. A few of them I collected here under the heading Class: Roleplay-> 1-Theft.

==========EDIT:

-can only target each user (perhaps determined by account or ip, most likley ip as using accounts in a free game may cause people to make mule accounts to exploit this) or npc once per day whether the attempt is successful or not
    Exploitable by having a firend pick your pocket and return goods before the day begins. So rather than letting others exploit, let them have an option to let themselves be picked or not.

- if successful thief will "steal" a small amount of gold or common item that will be awarded to thief but not taken from victim
    Will increase amount of gold in game and may lead to undesireable consequences with increase of total gold in game.

-if they get caught town/city guard spawns and the character must choose fight or flight either way a bounty will be accrued (a more substantial one if you kill any guards)
    No information if bounty system/forced PvP is implemented in game. Devs maynot add more features in the whole game just because they want theft.

-if player does not pay off bounty town/city guards will randomly spawn to catch thief (more frequent for higher the bounty)
    May cause lag

Some problems in red when trying to implement those in game.
  • vyrennvyrenn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    i am eager to see the pickpocket system in game b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vangaldvangald Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 325 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
    Well, what's the point in stealing stuff if you don't actually steal them?

Imho, if stolen items are not taken from the actual victim and are instead just dublicated, they might as well replace stealing mechanics altogether with a Santa-Claus NPC givin you some random gift each day... b:tired

Just put some serious limits and make them pay fines to the victim if they get caught, or it's pointless...

That argument seems silly. That is like saying why should I play a shooter game if the player on the other end doesn't actually get shot. It is all about simulation.

Though honestly I would like a full blown theft system where people could just take stuff from each other as well as a number of methods to prevent theft such as trap items that fit in an inventory that effect the player that did not place them there (this however could also be interesting for reverse pickpocketing). Not to mention putting points into perception based skill that will flat out negate a thief from stealing. Not to mention making equipped items un able to be stolen (maybe even make a tool belt where you can put frequently used items and they will be treated like equipped items but keep the number of items that can be stored this way relatively low unless they have a skill or profession that changes that). Though I still like the idea of the old wrestling trick from UO and would love to see that to in some form.

Also as far as guard spawn causing lag. I can only imagine that happening if theft became especially rampant.

Also if you ask me the only items that should not be able to stolen are the items that are payed for with real money. So no payed for cosmetic items should be stolen. If you combined this with crafted items be bound to a player you could give enough reasons to steal with enough reasons not to. Which to me would be a fair balance.
    edited September 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »

Exploitable by having a firend pick your pocket and return goods before the day begins. So rather than letting others exploit, let them have an option to let themselves be picked or not.

IF he is successful the "goods" will be bound

Will increase amount of gold in game and may lead to undesireable consequences with increase of total gold in game.

your'e right. while we're at it why don't we make it so that mobs dont drop gold or items either? how would that be any different from any other form of farming in mmo's?

No information if bounty system/forced PvP is implemented in game. Devs maynot add more features in the whole game just because they want theft.

duh that's why it's a suggestion

May cause lag

unlike any other randomly spawning mob?

Some problems in red when trying to implement those in game.

some solutions in blue
    sarcasm in yellow
    21.jpg
  • johnnybigodejohnnybigode Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    will they be in the game? have they been considered? I'll just move this here it seems more appropriate...

my overall ideas and favorite suggestions compiled and updated

-perception check against the thief to see if the attempt was successful

-when successful thief may receive a minute amout of exp as a small bonus

-The player must then pay off his/her bounty

-if bounty reaches a certain level player becomes flagged for pvp and the player(s) that successfully neutralize thief then split a fraction of the bounty

(this last part i really like because it creates player events and will let some people play the bounty hunter role)

This to me seems balanced, fair, non-griefing and i belive it adds heavily to the RP i mean come on who dosent want to see a filthy thief get whomped by everyone in the area? (except the terrible thief of course)

The only thing I disagree is the number of attempts one would do. Once per day is just nothing. I think that 3/day would be more reasonable. Perhaps characters would start with a one chance only to pickpocket on lvl 1, and when the char lvl up, it would choose to get more attempts or not.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Not holding my breath in seeing it if we need so much polish to get to Alpha, but you never know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    The only thing I disagree is the number of attempts one would do. Once per day is just nothing. I think that 3/day would be more reasonable. Perhaps characters would start with a one chance only to pickpocket on lvl 1, and when the char lvl up, it would choose to get more attempts or not.

I like this
    21.jpg
  • nachinekonachineko Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Stealing from players simply won't happen. Without the proper mechanics for the victim to recover their lost item it creates a serious imbalance, would have people crying like babies every time your timer reset, and result in almost everyone with a brain rolling a rogue alt just to access the ability. I can only think of one game where it works, and that's EVE, where theft is an integral part of the game. While it would be possible to include kill rights on unscrupulous players which would allow you to kill them and then reclaim your item I can't see Cryptic going along that route. Spawning guards, or even setting them to hostile would demand an area specifically for flagged players where they could go about their business unmolested or end up in every rogue in the game tenchuing about Neverwinter 24/7 in an effort to get past the wealth of NPCs hungry for blood. Would it be nice? Sure. Would it also be impractical? Definitely.

As far as PvE theft goes, this has never been handled correctly in my opinion. War-Craft had the right idea with independent loot tables for stolen items, but the chances of gaining something meaningful from the ability were purposefully low to prevent it from becoming an unfair advantage, which kind of defeats the point of thievery. A lot of games simply overlook the option entirely. Stealing on FFXI was a complete joke until SE actually gave thieves Aura Steal, which stole buffs rather than items, and was still of questionable use in 90% of situations.

I'd certainly like to have the option of stealing from mobs, but without a meaningful, well thought out mechanic behind it, I don't see there being much point in including it and certainly wouldn't miss it if Cryptic chose to ignore the ability. Lockpicking is a much more useful skill and I'd rather they put their efforts into making that worthwhile.

[EDIT] So it seems you censor the names of other MMOs by default. Shocking really.
    edited October 2012
    Guild Wars 2?

Still there.

Only some names. like the WoW last name for example.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    nachineko wrote: »
    Stealing from players simply won't happen. Without the proper mechanics for the victim to recover their lost item it creates a serious imbalance, would have people crying like babies every time your timer reset, and result in almost everyone with a brain rolling a rogue alt just to access the ability. I can only think of one game where it works, and that's EVE, where theft is an integral part of the game. While it would be possible to include kill rights on unscrupulous players which would allow you to kill them and then reclaim your item I can't see Cryptic going along that route. Spawning guards, or even setting them to hostile would demand an area specifically for flagged players where they could go about their business unmolested or end up in every rogue in the game tenchuing about Neverwinter 24/7 in an effort to get past the wealth of NPCs hungry for blood. Would it be nice? Sure. Would it also be impractical? Definitely.

As far as PvE theft goes, this has never been handled correctly in my opinion. War-Craft had the right idea with independent loot tables for stolen items, but the chances of gaining something meaningful from the ability were purposefully low to prevent it from becoming an unfair advantage, which kind of defeats the point of thievery. A lot of games simply overlook the option entirely. Stealing on FFXI was a complete joke until SE actually gave thieves Aura Steal, which stole buffs rather than items, and was still of questionable use in 90% of situations.

I'd certainly like to have the option of stealing from mobs, but without a meaningful, well thought out mechanic behind it, I don't see there being much point in including it and certainly wouldn't miss it if Cryptic chose to ignore the ability. Lockpicking is a much more useful skill and I'd rather they put their efforts into making that worthwhile.

[EDIT] So it seems you censor the names of other MMOs by default. Shocking really.

think of it as more of an RP factor. what is a thief that doesn't steal anything right?
    21.jpg
    edited October 2012
    Also I still like the UO system of stealing. To me that is a game that proves that mechanic can work. Something to consider from that might be item weight. (just going to post this for reference here )
  • alsarothalsaroth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    You rogues stay out of my pockets, or I'll bind your bones to my service! Hmm... Maybe I have to be certain you don't venture into my pockets in the first place... ... Your bones are mine to command, you would-be-thief!
    "A rare display of intelligence, undoubtedly fleeting." - Edwin Odesseiron
    edited November 2012
    alsaroth wrote: »
    You rogues stay out of my pockets, or I'll bind your bones to my service! Hmm... Maybe I have to be certain you don't venture into my pockets in the first place... ... Your bones are mine to command, you would-be-thief!

I have to be dead first you pasty faced worm! Though for a monthly fee I can make sure accidents don't happen. Wouldn't want your nice sepulcher to burn down now would you?