test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What level of customization?

Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
edited July 2011 in General Discussion (PC)
Hey guys!

I'm really interested in the game since you can actually make your own content and that seems very interesting to be able to make our own story, however, what kind of flexibility and complexity can we expect at launch?

I don't mind scripting if there's also some pre-scriped content and a good tutorial, as long as there's a lot of triggers we can control!

Also, will there be a place in the game to look for most popular or recent player content, or on the website? I don't see people using only the forum to browse through missions etc...

How will the rewards balance be controled? Player strength vs monsters strength? Cause you could as well just box a big guy and shoot arrows at it all night long eh!
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Hey guys!

I'm really interested in the game since you can actually make your own content and that seems very interesting to be able to make our own story, however, what kind of flexibility and complexity can we expect at launch?

I don't mind scripting if there's also some pre-scriped content and a good tutorial, as long as there's a lot of triggers we can control!

Not sure if there will be much in the way of scripting the way it was done with NwN. I think the closest thing to it will be how the NwN tools let us set things up with wizzards. The toolset would generate the relevant scripts for us based on a series of preset choices we could make while working with the wizzard. But even that lowe-level event customization will lend itself to some pretty interesting content. And if Cryptic makes it a point to keep expanding upon our wizzard choices, what we can do as time goes on will be pretty impressive.
    Also, will there be a place in the game to look for most popular or recent player content, or on the website? I don't see people using only the forum to browse through missions etc...

If it is anything like Star Trek Online, there will at least be a drop-down menu for selecting user-generated quests. Personally, I would prefer that a bulletin board hanging on the wall in taverns would be a better way to go about it for the setting. In the world of Star Trek, you can just talk to someone over the sub-space radio and accept a mission. But for something like this, an actual personal visit to a location to check and see what tasks are posted that need a hero to perform would fit the setting better.

In fact, how many of you DMs out there started your modules in a tavern where your players' characters either meet up or stopped off on their shared journey to wherever? The Taverns in NwO should be the meeting hubs for players. And so a bulletin board listing player-generated quests would be a very useful tool.

Oh, the UGC menu could just be brought up from the interface as well, but it should be grayed out unless you are in an area that has a bulletin board present. The board itself would automatically bring the menu up, so there is the environmental interaction and the interface option.
    How will the rewards balance be controled? Player strength vs monsters strength? Cause you could as well just box a big guy and shoot arrows at it all night long eh!

Cryptic will be controlling reward payouts. I would figure that at best, Foundry quest loot tables will be limited to common loot only. And really, that wouldn't be such a bad thing. It should be official quests that pay out the good stuff.

One thing that could be done to put some measure of control over loot in player hands would be Foundry rules for treasure. Like maybe limiting us to maybe 3 treasure chests in our missions. There could be a rule that prevents us from putting them close together, so we have to spread them out in our maps. Also, depending on what loot level we set the chest for it would require that we put some sort of monsters of equal level guarding it. By making the chest themselves impossible to place in close proximity thus requiring more than one room, and enemies to fight, it becomes less exploitable.

Placement of treasure chest should be optional, but if you place one, the Foundry should require that you place all of them. Oh, and treasure chests should not be placeable within a certain distance from or in lign of sight of the player spawn point, thus preventing treasure grab quests where you have one room and one chest and a few monsters and players can just run in, grab loot and win then do someone else's loot grab.

The Foundry should give us the freedom to do simple dungeon crawls, but there should be some built-in guidelines that prevent or reduce blatant reward exploiting.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    That's the fourth or fifth topic under the same name... seriously, read my signature. Find some topic about it for yourself from the list: http://forums.playneverwinter.com/showthread.php?t=3927&highlight=customization
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Qumi wrote: »
    That's the fourth or fifth topic under the same name... seriously, read my signature. Find some topic about it for yourself from the list: http://forums.playneverwinter.com/showthread.php?t=3927&highlight=customization

The wannabe moderator has spoken...
  • Options
    edited July 2011

Dang it! That's about the 100th time someone has stated that same thing!! Next time... use the search button and then simply reference someone to that link!!
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Dang it! That's about the 100th time someone has stated that same thing!! Next time... use the search button and then simply reference someone to that link!!

Thanks but you don't need to be harsh, they should just pin the topic at the top!
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    That's the fourth or fifth topic under the same name... seriously, read my signature. Find some topic about it for yourself from the list: http://forums.playneverwinter.com/sh...=customization

Seriously ... would you mind stop playing forum police and just stop trolling people. If something inappropriate comes up, I am sure Stormshade will take care of it. Until then, why don't you leave the rest of us alone and post whatever we want, as long as it is within rules.

From my point of view, your continued posting negatively about people, that come here is bordering on harrassment.

Vires Animi
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Just one more post here from me: Stormshade is not here to check on everybody like on children. He wrote the rules, which I'm sure most people didn't read. Will you abide to rules only if somebody gives you a warning? Seriously...

By making many same-topics threads users, including me, are forced to discuss the same thing in different topics, going through spam and offtopic of repeated arguments.

I'm not posting negatively about people, I do not call them stupid or something. I just write to use search button and check if there are any other topics before making a one, is that negative?

Moreover, Viresanimi, CaptianQuirk, every user has that right in the "Report Post" button. So no, it's not wanna-be-moderator, but user right. I can simply report topics, instead of posting the list of topics, if you want. Fine by me. The end.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    By making many same-topics threads users, including me, are forced to discuss the same thing in different topics, going through spam and offtopic of repeated arguments.
    No one is forcing you do do anything. We had this conversation a month ago. People don't like others acting like moderators. Not only that, it completely derails the thread.

If something is not to your liking, report it. Let the moderators do their job.
    Stormshade is not here to check on everybody like on children...

I'm not posting negatively about people,
    Certainly you see the irony here...

FYI, condescension is a negative attack.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Just one more post here from me: Stormshade is not here to check on everybody like on children.
    So he hired you to babysit?
    Moreover, Viresanimi, CaptianQuirk, every user has that right in the "Report Post" button. So no, it's not wanna-be-moderator, but user right. I can simply report topics, instead of posting the list of topics, if you want. Fine by me. The end.
    Finally.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Edited: Yes, yes, I'm such a bad person for telling that people break rules. According to your logic, since Stormshade does not moderate my post I can do this. Moreover, you do the same by complaining about me. This is what I call irony. For me you play self-appointed user defenders, you are not moderation to do that and reprimand others. I'm not sure whether you feel glorified being the defenders, but.... irony... at least I give info where to find information and why it's important not to create so many topics, you mostly only create spam by commenting.

Sorry, but I do believe that one should act when one sees something bad, not "It's not my business" saying when you see somebody breaking the law, or in this case rules. I'm not so much into "being cool" when it means ignoring uncomfortable situations.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Sorry, but I do believe that one should act when one sees something bad, not "It's not my business" saying when you see somebody breaking the law, or in this case rules.
    Yeah, I think this about sums up everything. YOU are not the judge of what is and is not bad. And you can act; it's called the report button.

And if you think a repeat topic is "bad" then I suggest growing some thicker skin, because real life is going to magnify that 100 fold.

Oh, no one called you a bad person, but obviously, you think people are doing "bad" things. So very, very "bad."

Maybe you will eventually realize that you are causing more problems than you are solving...
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Off-topic to PM, thanks.
    <---- someone that never uses Report but that should.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I can act in many ways, posting is one of the rights I have here, I do not wish people get many warnings if that can be prevented. And I do not believe in objectivity, everybody judges, simply by judging to report. But I do NOT judge like a moderator since I can't give warnings.

Yes, yes, jharii just stick to semantics when you can't find an argument, seriously... shall we start here a political discussion concerning Greece and how there the unlawfulness turned out, or some other countries? I think not. Ignore Topic.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Yes, yes, jharii just stick to semantics when you can't find an argument, seriously... shall we start here a political discussion concerning Greece and how there the unlawfulness turned out, or some other countries? I think not. Ignore Topic.
    It's not semantics. We had this discussion a month ago. I told you how people perceive and respond to non-moderators acting like moderators. It's hardly my fault that you post and act like a mod. Perception is reality, Qumi.

As from here on out, I think I'll just give myself a personal vacation from you, since I really won't miss anything but you telling people what they should and should not post.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    On a side note, you may want to read and follow the rules yourself prior to claiming others have not.
    Reporting Violations
    If you believe that someone has violated our Rules and Policies or you have spotted content that may otherwise require attention, please use the Report Post button with a brief description of what you believe is wrong. Notification is voluntary and anonymous, but in no situation should a user respond to an issue personally, thereby aggravating the situation further.

The Report Post button appears as a little red triangle, with a white background, and a red exclamation mark in the center of the triangle. It can be found in the lower left portion of every post on the forums.

Report violations, do not quote them or reply to them. Responding to a violation in an inflammatory manner is a violation in itself and will result in appropriate action. It is also important to not abuse the Report Post function by excessively reporting posts, sending false alarms, or nonsensical messages. Abuse of the report post button can result in a one point infraction for spamming.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Alright folks,

Let's simmer down a little here. Remember that it's my job to moderate the forums. I'm also fairly certain that after doing so for 2 years professionally (plus a few more for kicks), I'm pretty good at it.

The best way for those of you who wish to help me out, to do so, is to use that handy little report post button.

I'll make the call from there. This goes for everybody BTW, not just some of you, or one of you, but all of you.

To the OP, I'm sorry your topic got horribly derailed, as mentioned however, there's a couple of other ongoing conversations regarding this.

/thread

Thanks,

Stormshade
This discussion has been closed.