test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Romance options...

Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
edited July 2011 in General Discussion (PC)
Will "Neverwinter" feature romance options between "Henchmen" and player characters in game???, please reply today.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Carrok5 wrote:
    Will "Neverwinter" feature romance options between "Henchmen" and player characters in game???, please reply today.

It is a holiday weekend I doubt any Cryptic staff will reply, but as far as your question goes nobody knows.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Carrok5 wrote:

No idea.

We know very little about how the 'henchmen' will work in-game right now, just that they will exist to help fill a party for those times when you don't have 5 actual people playing togethor.

I have to admit though that I somewhat doubt it. Since henchmen are ultimately an optional thing (if you have friends to play with, you'll never need to use them to fill out a party) writing content around romancing them might be a little odd as you may never otherwise actually need to use them or interact with them.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I sure hope not. Those romance options in Bioware's games are just awful to the point of embarassament. Now, if there's a bromance avenue to pursue I'm all over it! :p
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    In the *bioware* games, the romance options are seldom embarassingly bad... Obsidian, however...
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I seriously doubt there will be all too much interaction with the henchmen.
    Best case, they are similar to bridge officer from STO,
    worst case, like sidekicks/henchmen from CO.

For those not in the know, bridge officers on Star Trek Online are customizable and equipable,
    persistent parts of the character's crew,
    while sidekicks in Champions Online are pretty much just pets with fixed equipment, looks and powers.
    Even worse, CO-sidekicks are temporary items with 1 hour of continuous usage.
    (but they can be toggled off, and don't lose time while off)

My guess is, though, that Neverwinter's henchmen will be more like bridge officers than sidekicks. :D
    But we'll see, in due time.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Doubt it. Hopefully not.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    At first, I thought this thread might be a joke, but I guess it wasn't. I don't mind if Cryptic adds in romance options, but I hope they place more important issues first... far ahead of romance issues that will basically help nerdy guys feel better about themselves.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    At first, I thought this thread might be a joke, but I guess it wasn't. I don't mind if Cryptic adds in romance options, but I hope they place more important issues first... far ahead of romance issues that will basically help nerdy guys feel better about themselves.
    :rolleyes:
    I'll leave it at that.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    For all the people with a desperate need for romance options, you can always court your fellow PCs, there's no need to try and get a hook in all the NPCs, you know <insert appropriate smiley here>.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Aurilandur wrote: »
    For all the people with a desperate need for romance options, you can always court your fellow PCs, there's no need to try and get a hook in all the NPCs, you know <insert appropriate smiley here>.
    Not if they want a chance of success. ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Jharii wrote:
    Not if they want a chance of success. ;)

Aha, so that's what all this infatuation with NPC romance is really about, the age old fear of rejection. Well, apart from Viconia DeViir in BG2 I guess, that girl was pretty hard to get (how many people reloaded after making a huge mistake in that romance story arch, honestly?).
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Well, for starters, romance options in an online environment seems a little 'off' to me - maybe because the NPCs will quickly gain a tongue-in-cheek reputation as the village horse. Which is fine, if that's what the writers are going for. But it will work against any other type of character. I'd say it's probably best left out of the official content, because it's just a bad fit for that kind of storytelling tool. And of course, there's always the Foundry, so even if it's not officially included there's bound to be a few courtship sims floating around.

Now, in the event that they do decide to incorporate it, I wouldn't mind seeing it done in a way that deviates from the usual model, which seems to be "agree with me enough times and we can hop in bed before the final battle." That's all fine and well for players who just want an easy path to unlocking the racy cinematic, but there's so much more potential. Love triangles - jealousy - enemies becoming lovers and lovers becoming enemies - teammates that loathe each other completely until the right moment - from the bad influences to the best friends, let's see some variety. Let's see options that take the whole story in a different direction. And let's not restrict it to sexual attraction. Like someone else said, let's have bromances. Partners in crime. Hetero lifemates.

Mind you, I dont know whether or not I want to see all that in THIS game. But when the subject of romance options comes up, I always wonder why it's handled like a butt-kissing minigame, and not as the powerful and gripping subplot that it is.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Yes, because we know that "romance" = "sex" for some of you. ;) Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare was a great <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> book.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

:p

Altough I vote that our henchmen personality won't go beyond 2D optional secondary, I would like them to have some meat over their bones. Some personality, some stuff related to them like quests so they add to the game and to use them sometimes (completionists, go!). And yes, that include romance possibility if it makes sense. Ignoring BioWare's late steps of "lets show sex scenes" (later changed to "you imagine them now") and "everybody is a freaking <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> because we must please a whining group about they being able to romance anyone they want", romance as any other story related stuff is interesting as an option and it adds value.

But this is not BioWare, this is a co-op RPG and not single player (even if you can play it solo) so it won't be happening (speculation but probable one) and Foundry-wise, we will see what happens.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    reillan wrote: »
    In the *bioware* games, the romance options are seldom embarassingly bad... Obsidian, however...

That is because Chris (who is an awesome writer) does not get the whole attraction of in game romances.

That said he did include them (in a way) into Alpha Protocol. Well more like you can hook up a few times. ;)

I think the really odd/bad romances in NWN2 was more because of the whole Obsidian lack of Project Management that led to so much needing to be cut and/or rushed to ship. Which is a shame really, as they have such awesome talent, I really wish they would get into the groove and live up to their potential.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    theBozer wrote: »
    And let's not restrict it to sexual attraction. Like someone else said, let's have bromances. Partners in crime. Hetero lifemates.

Oh gods above, let's not and say we did. I was just teasing. Butch and Sundance, Murtagh and Riggs, Tango and Cash, et al. Oh sure, they may be considered bromances by todays young hipsters, but it'll still get them a punch in the face if they were to say that to anyone old school. Now there's an idea for a module. Create the D&D equivilant of hipsters that need to be hunted down and exterminated. I even have a riddle for it.

Q: How many hipsters does it take to screw in a light bulb?
    A: Oh, it's kind of an obscure number. You're probably never heard of it.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Punches in the face usually betray an uncomfortable nugget of truth in the words that inspire them. And I dare saw we DO and say we did - because the name of the game is "options" not "force uncomfortable relationships on everyone." Hell, you could very likely have a moment of cathartic wish fulfillment granted by these same options: when the skinny wizard wearing the thick-rimmed glasses and tight pants suggests that he is "the Ernie to your Bert," you'd be offered the opportunity to clock him in the head with a warhammer right then and there. Mind you, his attire and analogies are just riddled with canon-breaking inconsistancies, but hey - he's a wizard! A wizard who selected the reduce person spell at level 1, so he can use it on anyone not familiar with the works of Deekin Scalesinger.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Cutter wrote: »
    I sure hope not. Those romance options in Bioware's games are just awful to the point of embarassament. Now, if there's a bromance avenue to pursue I'm all over it! :p

Tell me about it...try explaining to your wife why the naughty male Elf is hitting so hard on you....:rolleyes:

They will be doing the same thing in TOR which means I'll probably pass.