test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Universal Translator

dani#6705 dani Member Posts: 24 Arc User
I have had to quit too many dungeons because we failed. The problem was that not everyone speaks or reads the same language. The chat channel needs to understand this. Every player, at char creation, chooses their language for the chat channel. Anytime anyone types something to them, it automatically posts in the chosen language, The sender can be one of many languages. It could be something to greatly enhance communications in games from around the world. It's doable.

Comments

• Options
    rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    Great idea. Many people of many languages play this game and this would be a wonderful way to enhance player experience.
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.
  • Options
    mintmarkmintmark Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 407 Arc User
    That sounds like it could be very amusing! A lot of the language in chat is very colloquial.

A simple first step could be an "acronym expansion filter"...
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,223 Arc User
    Good luck for that. May need a AI bot to translate since I saw so many bad typo in chat. I needed to translate "English" to English.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    Im sure we had something similar to that back 20 years ago In Ultima Online from memory :)
  • Options

Good luck for that. May need a AI bot to translate since I saw so many bad typo in chat. I needed to translate "English" to English.

My typing is horrible so yes, and whoever it is, needs to understand that many typos are from the key next to what it should be. Today's versions have no clue.
  • Options
    hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,176 Arc User
    edited October 2023
    dani#6705 said:

I have had to quit too many dungeons because we failed. The problem was that not everyone speaks or reads the same language. The chat channel needs to understand this. Every player, at char creation, chooses their language for the chat channel. Anytime anyone types something to them, it automatically posts in the chosen language, The sender can be one of many languages. It could be something to greatly enhance communications in games from around the world. It's doable.

Dedicate like 10~20 min of your spare time, to play around with google translate by translating party members conversations. More different languages = better..
    And you will be facinated how quickly original message get broken, and become some werd sentences or message changed so different from what original sentence were..

I can assure you, there were multiple attempts to create AI which would auto translate conversations between players..
    From amateur up to professional programers try do that.. Some worked better, some worser, but it never worked perfectly.. Not only it adds delay within game chat, but also gamers chat is not a formal language... If you looked to like neverwinters LFG, ZONE and TRADE, chats.. You can clearly understand that AI would start making werd translations..

Now obviously language barrier may cause problems.. But does it?? I mean, fist three times I were in Demonweb Pits.. We didn't even communicate.. We simply adapted to each other... That's all what is the matter...
    Post edited by hadestemplar#9918 on
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================
  • Options

dani#6705 said:

Dedicate like 10~20 min of your spare time, to play around with google translate by translating party members conversations. More different languages = better..
    And you will be facinated how quickly original message get broken, and become some werd sentences or message changed so different from what original sentence were..

I can assure you, there were multiple attempts to create AI which would auto translate conversations between players..
    From amateur up to professional programers try do that.. Some worked better, some worser, but it never worked perfectly.. Not only it adds delay within game chat, but also gamers chat is not a formal language... If you looked to like neverwinters LFG, ZONE and TRADE, chats.. You can clearly understand that AI would start making werd translations..

Now obviously language barrier may cause problems.. But does it?? I mean, fist three times I were in Demonweb Pits.. We didn't even communicate.. We simply adapted to each other... That's all what is the matter...
    It is fine if players know what they are doing. But, when doing randoms, the queue has a lot of lower level players who are just beginning and they need to know what to do. I fail at least 4 a week due to language barrier. And those people who don't communicate, probably half of them have no idea about English. Why else are they so quiet? Other than wanting to be.