test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

All Hail to SoMI Treasure Hunting

fritz#8093 fritz Member Posts: 439 Arc User
I was doing Storm King's Thunder last week during the x2 and flashed back to the Mod 10b module release. I never liked Black Ice and certainly not its v2 Voninblod, but I still somehow remember SoMI fondly because treasure hunting was such a rewarding feature. I mean it was a terrible grind. You had to fish the maps, then farm the locations. But at least you had the AD to show for it. I think the maps dropped Blood Rubys (?) which were worth up to 50k AD back in the day. You could even buy maps off the Auction House and profit. Mystik did 100s on stream for a nice gain.

More importantly: It was uncapped. The game today has so many diminishing returns when it comes to playing time. RAD is capped, dungeon chests are capped, weekly campaign progress, rewards, and currencies are capped, everything is capped. You can work around parts of this design flaw by mounting an alt army, but still wonder whether it's this game's choice or a general MMO trend that these hardcore grinds no longer exists. Definitely a niche that's currently missing. That applies to group play as well. We briefly had a revival of split runs in Mod 10 Fangbreaker but since then dungeons are exclusively used for personal character and RAD progression.

Comments

• Options
    callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    Yep. Generally content over the last couple of years has been a bit meh tbh.

I like the rope jumping in whatever mod that was.

And some of the hunts have been nice last few years.

But yeah I remember my first t-map in Chult gave me a really great face mask/armour piece that was lush!

it was a real buzz, I farmed a few more after that and it was fun. In fact workign out where the tmaps in Avernus were was fun as well. In general T-maps have so much potential.
  • Options
    rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    Avernus ones have great stuff in them and before these new weapons came out were def worth doing if only for the legion set. I'm doing River Dist on 3 characters atm and have been reminded how useless the treasure chests are there. I'm not keen on the Chult ones either, they all just have junk in them u don't need imo. But the Avernus ones, yea they were well-worth doing for the gear in them.
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.
  • Options
    fritz#8093 fritz Member Posts: 439 Arc User
    I did plenty Hunts in Mod 12(b) and 19, as well as Avernus Maps. The difference is all of the stuff is bound. I did farm basic Avernus trophies and sold them for Glyphs before they got obsolete due to Dragon Hunts, but the SoMI system was much more predictable. You always got rewarded for your time spent.

But tbh Mod 19 might come closest to a SoMI farming experience, also because of the Redeemed Citadel campaign.