test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What do Rangers Need: An Approach on Bug fixes Combat Issues and Adjustments Including Warden Buffs

ferrum#7760 ferrum Member Posts: 6 Arc User
This forum post was created using gathered information from experienced rangers throughout the game.

It involves a careful analysis of encounters that need tweaking or bug fixes in order to match the current meta of other classes.

Starting with bugs
for both Warden & Hunter

Common Major Bug:
In AoE Hindering Strike when activated will NOT deal damage or proc Strong Grasping Roots, the encounter will still be put into cooldown. I managed to produce this bug, and you can reproduce it too this bug can occur not only when shifting but also during some moments where the player's internet is not at its peak, in other words (quite regularly)

Another issue rangers face is when encounters that do not activate when the player tries to cast them. This could be assumed as Animation cancelling, but it is a major issue for Hunter Rangers in content where net code isn't all that great. This affects our rotations, making us fall behind in damage, slowing us down for at least a second or two.

Cordon of Arrows: One major bug/issue of this encounter is that it never crits, why shouldn't it? It's an encounter after all. This allows Thorned Roots to not deal crit damage. Why is this an issue? Say for example if a ranger uses Hindering Strike and procs a crit, Thorned Roots will crit too, BUT if a ranger right afterwards applies cordon of arrows the critted Thorned Roots gets overlapped into non-crit thorned roots. Might as well use Rapid Volley instead

Sum-up:
The class needs a more fluid experience when casting encounters without any encounter being cancelled or dealing 0 damage. An important thing to note is that Rangers are the only class with 6 encounters, so in order to compete with other dps we need to cast all our encounters as quickly as we can with a set rotation, the rotation can be messed up due to encounters not activating as intended.

Warden class Fix:
Throw Caution: Cast time says 0.3s, but the recovery time is much longer than hindering strike & steel breeze. You can test this using Clear the Ground At-Will after casting each encounter, notice the recovery time on each. See the difference?

Hunter Class Fix:
Gushing Wounds: This encounter if it doesn't hit the target it cancels the encounter completely, wasting a whole second or two trying to recast it (Which can also happen again), this doesn't fit the gameplay with other classes making us fall behind in dps.

Adjustments:
Rangers struggle to keep up with other dps such as warlocks/rogues primarily in AoE mostly because we are lacking in encounters that do not work as intended, hence the Cordon of Arrows bug.

Plant Growth Encounter: This is more of a personal opinion, but Plant Growth would make more sense if it applied Strong Grasping Roots and not Weak Grasping Roots. As an overall this encounter is extremely weak considering the amount of overall magnitude it produces within 4 seconds (Total of 150 magnitude) + 150mag instantly, Plant Growth's Cooldown is just too long

Seismic Shot: (Hunter)
I am not complaining about the magnitude of the daily, but the range of seismic shot is determined on the distance that the target is on. It shouldn't be like this, since it can affect how many enemies we will attack. Also, the enemies are supposed to be pulled into the blast, but that is not the case. So a conclusion for this daily is that it needs a lot of tweaking. The community stated that an AoE daily such as Cordon of Arrows that can pull the enemies together sounds like a more appropriate daily

Aimed-Shot At-Will: (Hunter)
According to the community, Aimed Shot gives 16 Action Points which is not a lot, considering how long the cast time of the At-Will is. I do agree that Aimed shot could use a buff in terms of how much AP it gives because as is, Aimed Shot alone gives barely any AP considering the cast time.

Slasher's Mark: (Hunter)
Great daily, love it, but most rangers have ended up jumping off of platforms in trials or dungeons. For example, Cradle of Death god, during the Turtle fight in Fang Breaker Island. As well as the new Tiamat trial when fighting the heads or positioning at the side of the chest in the last phase.

Warden is very powerful, but deserves some more love and quality of life.
the biggest issue that warden has is a lack of significant aoe hits, generally the aoe powers are the exact same as the single target ones, and yes you could always swap out boar charge for Steel Breeze, but even then I don't think it's significant enough of a change, Flurry + Clear the Ground is really what is keeping Warden strong in aoe, if they didn't have either, it would be really hard to justify using at all

Blade Hurricane feat:
It is a great feat, but it can be very problematic since the duration of Flurry ends too soon. The main issue with this feat is that it doesn't get refreshed, and it is hard to track when Flurry is active or not. A better solution is to either increase the amount of time Flurry stays up or allow flurry's duration to refresh with each encounter cast. That would be amazing for the warden class.

The 4th feats of the Warden Paragon aren't competitive enough:
I have attempted to make a build using "To The Wind" feat, which increases Throw Caution's dmg by 5%, but that's a very small buff considering all the other feats in the game. Then there is the Skirmisher's Gambit, the trade-off feat both feats are not great, in fact they're awful compared to most feats in the game. I believe the best option for an adjustment here would be a complete revamp on those two feats or buff both feats".

Comments

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    Their ranged damage needs to be on par with their melee damage.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • borbaranger#3645 borbaranger Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    Please, fix the Cordon of Arrows, it's an encounter and it should crit.
    It's a nice AoE damage source, but since it does not crit, we miss a lot of damage.
  • mignon#7663 mignon Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    What the game needs is another "Bug Fix month"
    Too many bugs hold some classes back or make them stronger than they should be. Class balancing is impossible before the bugs are fixed.
  • privatejimmy#7757 privatejimmy Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    Good post, can you please make one for gwf? Imo Gwf is the worst class in the game atm.
  • berke#1074 berke Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Any developer saw this?
  • ferrum#7760 ferrum Member Posts: 6 Arc User

Any developer saw this?

Hey Berke, no sadly not. As of now we're the only class with the highest count of bugs as well as features that need to be changed.
    The features I'm mostly leaning on, are Cordon of Arrows not critting AND Aspect of the Falcon + More than Disruptive not working on Cordon of Arrows either.

Hindering Strike when activated going to cooldown without dealing damage.
    This bug was reproduced in this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSEAsBgdKqg
  • masterogamasteroga Member Posts: 474 Arc User
    I've seen a couple monster rangers in the past months after BoA went away. They can do crazy damage, so it must be skill, build, and/or rotation that is the problem for most players
  • borbaranger#3645 borbaranger Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    Hello @percemer
    Could you kindly take a look at this topic too?
    Thank you.
  • percemerpercemer Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 1,048 Arc User
    Greetings,

Thanks for the ping @borbaranger#3645, and thank you all for your feedback.

I think that the dev team is currently focused on the upcoming Paladin updates, but I will forward this thread and it will be really helpful, especially when the Ranger's turn comes.

Regards,
    Percemer
    EU Community Manager @ Gearbox Publishing
    ----------
    Neverwinter: Discord - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube - Customer Support - Terms of Service