test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Balance Changes: General Direction - Feedback Thread

Comments

• Options
    stark760stark760 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 654 Arc User
    I thought game balance, was to make a particular best item(BOA), not be over beneficial for certain classes. Not nerf it so that the classes that were getting the over benefit from it, are the only ones that get a benefit at all now. That's not balance.
  • Options
    fritz#8093 fritz Member Posts: 439 Arc User
    arazith07 said:

Except that they have!? They did let it remain in the game, they've told us it's going to be adjusted later, everyone else has been saying that it's going to be nerfed. You willfully ignoring all of that isn't on Cryptic. I'm only blaming Cryptic for letting it go to live in the first place. But once out of the bag, well it takes effort to put in back in.

Cryptic's Neverwinter team HAS had several leadership changes since BoA has released. We had Chris Whiteside, then Matt Powers, and now Brett Norton for EPs. We also have a new systems lead developer, who's been hard at work reworking Bard, then this BoA, and now Wizards...plus everything else that's coming with M24.

You seem to be more indulgent than I am, which is fine. Just prepare to get disappointed.
  • Options
    stark760 said:

I thought game balance, was to make a particular best item(BOA), not be over beneficial for certain classes. Not nerf it so that the classes that were getting the over benefit from it, are the only ones that get a benefit at all now. That's not balance.

Plus you have to consider difficulty of content. Like I get you can't leave BoA as it was, but you have to still make it worthwhile to go the extra mile for that item. I can now get equal rings in much easier content. So what's the point?
  • Options
    hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,176 Arc User
    edited September 2022

You seem to be more indulgent than I am, which is fine. Just prepare to get disappointed.

Complains not always mean it's hate toward staff.

Personally, while I can write complain about many things in this game, I have no Hate toward staff. More like disappointment, cuz I know they can do better than what they do now. And I put hope that they will do that.

Cuz I know that staff hating solve nothing, it's just time wasting. Whch I think would be better to spent for looking solutions.

Also, I think it's good moment for staff to bring back old event/marathon. The BugOctober, when whole team on fixing as many bugs/glitches they can.
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================
  • Options
    wazzer23#0912 wazzer23 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    The game has been on a steady decline ever since mod 16. The effort you have put into resolving trivial things when there are so many major issues in game is disappointing for players. There is no clear way for any player to leave feedback except to post here and hope your opinion is considered.
    1. Your obsession with making the game a more balanced experience seems to be upon lowering players damage output tanking and healing abilities. It seems that you want us to spend longer in dungeons trials etc that we have completed hundreds of times for the same tired loot that you have pushed out to players and completely swamped the markets with. Where is the fun in that?
    2. Events that are now beyond tired and your only effort to update is to add new companion or vanity pet that are completely useless than anything existing in the game
    3. Your nerf hammer on xuna was ridiculous completely destroying her damage output as you said you wanted people to have more choice in companions and now bis comps yet low and behold pseudodragon and succubus are the new bis comps both of which you added to the astral lockbox. Still 90% of companions are useless active
    4. Releasing zen companion packs at over inflated prices and not a single new companion being any better than the previous comps in game
    5. Literally nothing in game no to grind for at endgame
    6. No new events or if they are they are added to the hellpit with limited rewards
    7. Ignoring the obvious ways for you to make money eg. Overhaul the vip system and make it worthwhile for people to subscribe or actually offer something decent with the battle passes. 1 astral lockbox doesn't cut it
    8. Invest in advertising the game. No new players = stale guilds = stale community
  • Options

Complains not always mean it's hate toward staff.

Personally, while I can write complain about many things in this game, I have no Hate toward staff. More like disappointment, cuz I know they can do better than what they do now. And I put hope that they will do that.

Cuz I know that staff hating solve nothing, it's just time wasting. Whch I think would be better to spent for looking solutions.

Also, I think it's good moment for staff to bring back old event/marathon. The BugOctober, when whole team on fixing as many bugs/glitches they can.
    I don't hate the staff. I would rather honestly. Rip the band-aid off clean, and tell us the BOA is going to nerfed, not a balance. Don't say after you mention changes are going to made, that it's still going to be best. They should've just plainly said what it was: reducing the best item in game, to appease people feeling excluded that don't have it. I understand sometimes groups can be ridiculous in their BOA demands, but that doesn't mean you should reduce the BOA to equivalent of rings that are easy to get, or worse than what's out there. Say what it is, it's not class balance, it's player-base balance, and taking away something people earned, which they went after it because it was special, not something that came from seal/campaign store. arazith07 said it clearly:
    People in PE recruiting only players with BoA is an issue, and would remain one if BoA was still BIS for everyone. It would still divide players into haves and have nots.

So I'd rather the devs, when they mention changes, say this is why, and be honest as to how drastic it will be.
  • Options
    I realize that my support (as a player) for ARC's choice of balancing broken “best in slot” equipment, will seem contrary to most here...

But I have to ask; "What happened to Neverwinter's phenomenal end-gamers that strive to be “best in class” (through their talents and abilities alone), and not just automated button pushing coat-hangers of privileged equipment?

I've seen so many supposed best in slot groups that shun good players, just because they don't have the clique's approved equipment; That is a sad sign of their inability to excel personally!!!

For this reason I have never sought the Band of Air or the Bone Devil's Ribcage... I rely on sheer talent instead!

What say you: Are you just an automated best in slot coat-hanger, or are you ready to rise to the challenge and join the true endgames?

Don't worry, I won't disgracefully shun and block you from our groups (for your choice of equipment), but you better be ready to wipe your tears away :'( and keep up with the big boys B)
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    As for direction, I would rather not have escalating gear/IL increase every mod now. From mod 6 to 15, there was a balance somewhat. New gear came out, but everything was around same base IL, with different bonuses throughout. Since then, it's gone from undermountain 980 gear, to avernus 1200 gear, to Sharandar 1500 gear, to dragonbonevale 1800 gear, to mod 24 preview 2k gear. Introducing new gear that people need/want to farm/acquire is a necessity, but i would rather a more story driven mod, with same IL gear(w/ different bonuses) as the previous mod, and more content, more along lines of mod 6-15.
  • Options
    muschellka#7783 muschellka Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    What amuses me the most in all of this „balance” of the game is that a group of five minion mobs can kill a 80k toon in one hit because your wonderful scaling negates character progression in game.
    Really a great experience doing 20 min cloack tower and again being able to feel like a noob <3
    I'm also touched by the advice to take one defensive item if we can't survive. Dear devs. This advice is as helpful as sticking a mickey mouse dressing plaster on a severed head.
    I would have an advice for you too: try to play your own "balanced game," because I have the impression that you have become detached from reality
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    What the point to have godly character, if even hordes of enemies can't put even scrach in your HP pool?

Before foundry got shut down, there where content created by players, like arena fights. In short you can spawn tons of enemies in small area and fight them..

After spending 10 min in full area of various neverwinter creatures, I lost only ~3% HP, and I was not even healing myself or even try kill them.. Then by accident I clicked fiery bolt. And with one bang all enemies got wiped.

How much fun is that?? The answer is > BORING.

Also somewhere in mod 12, the all game contents difficulity where measured by speed runs. Do you want that back?? Where your presence as player is least requried element?
    How much fun was then? Again BORING.

Now about scaling, and if feeling as newbie.. That is biggest lie.
    Players skills, knowledge and experience are not effected by scaling.

Skilled players know when they can be more aggresive and when need be more preserved. When use certain abilities.

Also how counter/evade dungeon mechanics or boss hits. Game is action combat RPG mmo. It's not stat/gear benchmarking based gameplay..

If someone thinking that progression is main stuffs in game, then I am sorry that you guys/girls forgot what game is and what is main purpose.

The games main purpose, is to provide entertainment, a content where you with other players spent time together.

There where guild with name. Win or loose, we booze. IN short, winning or loosing is not important part, the best part is to spent time with friends. Good fight is reward itself.

Post edited by hadestemplar#9918 on
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

• Options
    And yes, you're right, I am amused to tears when I have to laboriously beat a one-dot mob that should die on sight of me.

Behold, no. The fun is not in weakening a character to the ground so that it can laboriously wade through old content that was bugged in mod 10 and never fixed.

Apparently I have a completely different definition of fun than you.
    I would be entertained by new content, progress in the game, the ability to improve my character, getting stronger and stronger, new choices, new better items that will help me.

I would be entertained by new events and not the old ones that are still bugged, broken and subject to "rework" by adding one item.

New challenges at my level and not having to drag along "wonderful new players" because they themselves are so wonderful they can't do the simplest dungeon.

It would amuse me to be sure that since I have spent money, my progress will not be negated after six months by another rework of the fight.

It would amuse me to be able to get the most powerful stuff, companions, items without worrying that in a moment a herd of noobs will write that they are excluded from the game because they are too HAMSTER to get them.

It would amuse me if the devs would listen to their player base and not solve problems with more nerfs,

And yes you are right.
    Scaling doesn't amuse me, I think it's one of the worst things that happened to this game. Besides empty promises, lies and deceptions.
  • Options
    @muschellka#7783
    There are community members whom I like, some whom I don't. But one thing I hate is when someone start calling others as noobs.

Remember that Neverwinter online is not game arround you. You are just part of this game, and it's community, so start showing respect to other players too.

Scaling doesn't amuse me, I think it's one of the worst things that happened to this game. Besides empty promises, lies and deceptions.

Go back to leveling area, there you could have prefered gameplay where you can act as God. But question how long you will like it.. Month, two?

Obviously you haven't been here before scaling got implemented and thus you don't know reason why community asked for it. And it was not request by one or two players, no. Half of year, 80% +++ of all playerbase more less Begged developers for scaling.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gustave Le Bon.

• Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,217 Arc User
    edited September 2022

It would amuse me to be sure that since I have spent money, my progress will not be negated after six months by another rework of the fight.

I personally don't care about having scaling or not. My stand is always: whatever they throw to me, I will find a way to deal with it one way or the other (that includes not dealing with it). Obviously, I can't speak for the others and I don't want to anyway.

However, after years of this game, there is one thing that is for sure. Whatever one invested (especially those you spend a lot of time, effort, resource), it will be negated from 6 months to a year with or without any rework.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    @hadestemplar#9918
    Forgive me, but I'm not interested in what you hate and what you don't - this is my opinion, not yours.
    So be kind enough to keep your pseudo-educational rants to yourself.

As for my presence in neverwinter, I've been playing since mod 3 and I don't recall anyone in their right mind wanting scaling here.
    We've been saying from the very beginning that it negates progress from the game and should not be implemented.
    So don't try to misrepresent the facts.
    Just as we didn't want random queues and warned the devs that this would not solve the problems of filling empty dungeons/skirmishes. Neither, it won’t help specifically your favorited noobs ;)

I have no need to go back to leveling areas.... I have nothing to do there. I developed my character to play difficult content, not to go back to some crappy areas.

As for the supposed god mode, it was enough to strengthen the bosses, give them a bigger hp pool and some unique attacks. In this case, nuclear weapons were used for houseflies.
  • Options
    lunartic666lunartic666 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 53 Arc User
    Can we also talk about balancing content given, so it won't be always 100% for pve and usual nothing for pvp?
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    @muschellka#7783
    As for my presence in neverwinter, I've been playing since mod 3 and I don't recall anyone in their right mind wanting scaling here.

Try look for mod 14 and mod 15 period threads, or content creators videos of that time. There are plenty of comments where players put explanations why developers should implement scaling. And again not some casual players idea, but whole spectrum of playerbase..
    But I guess you where not here, and while you say that you play here since mod 3. Untill you use your main account, I can't take your claims seriously. Cuz you current account created in 2021.

And it's become very popular thing, new player pretend that he played this game some time ago. So hope hat his/her claims/words would be taken more seriously.

As for scaling.. I mentioned you leveling area on purpose. When you bring 78k IL toon in leveling area, how does it feels?
    Not much of fun. Thats how it would be in all game without scaling system, which keep various IL toons in line..
    That's the purpose of this scaling. It's not perfect, but if I have to pick between scaled content and non scaled. I stick with scaling.

Cuz without scaling = no tank, no heal required.
    Players clear dungeons solo, On HC mode. Which eliminate RPG gameplay. lets not forget due high Raw stats makes any dungeon mechanics as pointless elements. Cuz you can ignore them.

So you want that back ?

Gustave Le Bon.

• Options
    pherrowpherrow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited September 2022
    arazith07 said:

arazith07 said:

We've known ever since they released the Ribcage dev blog that BoA was going to be nerfed. We've known since before then that VoS drop rates were going to be adjusted at some time, and that it's still on the "to do" list in several community streams whenever it's brought up. There are hundreds, maybe thousands of items that need to be addressed. New content also needs to be made. Things take time to fix, while the fixing itself might not take a long time, there are other things that needed to be fixed as well.

I agree that BOA should never have been released as it was...but there are new devs now, we can't blame the current devs unless we specifically know that they are still with the team. We can't blame art devs for system problems, nor should we expect them to fix bugs unless it's specifically related to the art.

Even if you count the mentioned dev blog, which I'm not since they still let players farm the ring for another four months after that, it's almost a year of BoA madness. HC released June 22nd. That's insane. You tell me nobody either realized or was able to acknowledge something the devs deemed gamebreaking for 11 months? Yeah...

If the studio isn't able to set up processes that prevent these issues even though there is other stuff to do and even though the dev that originally balanced the BoA might not be there a couple months later then that's unprofessional and not an excuse. Maybe the current devs aren't the right targets to assign blame to, but Cryptic as a company is either unorganized or overwhelmed and certainly lacks leadership. There is not reason to give them the benefit of the doubt.
    Except that they have!? They did let it remain in the game, they've told us it's going to be adjusted later, everyone else has been saying that it's going to be nerfed. You willfully ignoring all of that isn't on Cryptic. I'm only blaming Cryptic for letting it go to live in the first place. But once out of the bag, well it takes effort to put in back in.

Cryptic's Neverwinter team HAS had several leadership changes since BoA has released. We had Chris Whiteside, then Matt Powers, and now Brett Norton for EPs. We also have a new systems lead developer, who's been hard at work reworking Bard, then this BoA, and now Wizards...plus everything else that's coming with M24.
    Your logic here makes no sense to me (and I'm not trying to be rude in this case). It is on Cryptic. People try to put their trust in Cryptic and likewise, Cryptic pushes propaganda to to steal the communities trust as often as they can, (instead of gaining it through actions).

The telling part of what I am about to get at is hidden right in your text. To you, it makes no sense to grind for the ring because Cryptic has mentioned they have an eye on it. Well, why not if you trusted them? Again, this is all on Cryptic...
    In theory, I should have no fear in continuing to grind for the ring even if they say it will be "fixed". If the ring is meant to be BIS, and considering the grind, as a player I SHOULD reasonably be able to trust that the ring will be in a good spot when "fixed". I.E. worth my time/effort in acquiring. But it seems like that isn't the case. So why in the world would you essentially claim it is a fool's errand to continue to grind for something that you want if it's still supposed to be worth the effort? Whoever they hire to to take on the various jobs is irrelevant, that's a cryptic problem. If the product quality suffers...it is not on the player. All of this... Is, On, Cryptic.

Now let's look at another easy example, Xuna. Whether or not she needed an adjustment isn't as relevant as HOW she was adjusted.

If memory serves...

- She was first toned down in relation to Rogues or something. Ok, fine. <-- eta this is incorrect. There was first adjustment but not for that reason.
    - Next, she was adjusted further but seemed fine to me at least, still useable (imho). OK, fine
    - THEN, then she is released in the Zen market, nice move right? ok, fine again
    - Then she's nerfed outta the meta, AFTER the cash grab...we still "ok, fine here"?

Somehow people still come and essentially defend these situations like they are a one off mistake. Truth is, Cryptic's under handed tactics have solidly earned them the well deserved ire of players.

Now, I can say I have no dog in this fight as I don't have a BoA. But I am a bit tired of watching Cryptic deceive it's community over and over again. Whether it's pumping their metrics up in content that's not good enough to get the usage they want by "accidentally" planting an OP piece of digital product right in the middle of it and with all it's RNG glory or just simply robbing the community by allowing over performing products into the ZEN market and subsequently crushing it's usefulness and value immediately after they've looted the pockets of unsuspecting players. The examples are numerous and actually cover quite a bit of ground when you add up the various ways this company underhandly swindles it's community.
    Post edited by pherrow on
  • Options
    Not sure on what threads you mean from mod 14-15, show that community wanted scaling...calling BS on that. And 80%? LMAO
  • Options
    Neverwinter is all about preserving content because they can only put out so much new stuff. Scaling as a mechanism preserves content because it by design hard caps player power. Random queues preserve content because they force players into dungeons they might not normally play because the dungeon-specific rewards are not worth your time.
  • Options
    I'm not interested in verbal pushback and your tricks games.
    I joined the game exactly on 06.07.2014. I joined the forum, whereas, in 2017.

And what kind of made up theory you come up with about it is your problem, not mine.
    Just as I am not interested in playing in leveling areas, because as I mentioned I have nothing to do there.
    Nobody normal wanted scaling and the game lost more than half of the community thanks to scaling, random queues and more unnecessary reworking of fights/characters, among other things. This is a fact, and no matter how much you close your eyes to it, the fact remains.
    It amuses me that you try to attribute your own inadequacies to others. Maybe don't write back to me any more posts, because discussion with you leads nowhere. Live in your fantasized world and have fun in it.
    Just don't expect others to believe in it.
  • Options
    Now back to topic..

Here I want to explain my thoughs how game should change, that's including scaling, gear and some other content. Now I want to be clear, this is my opinion.

First lets talk about scaling.

While it's not new and I actually agree on players get donwscaled in open world areas, I don't think same scaling should be applied in dungeon runs. Downscaling can be cheated/bypassed rather easy, remove few high IL stuffs and you no longer downscaled.

Neverwinter have other scaling system too. Undermountain/Uprising have Master/Warden/Fragmented Expeditions.
    You can run these expeditions without scaling, but obviously you gain basiq reward. Or you can upscale enemies, one, two or three times, players pick which difficulty they prefer. Higher tear difficulty = higher tear rewards.
    Also players pick whom to bring in party, want two heal or two tanks, full dps, that's up for player to pick.

So why not use same principle for all dungeons.. Now obviously thats mean daily random q as system would have to be removed.. And replaced with other system.

Before Random q system implementation, players would come to protector enclave and pick quest from NPC:

These expeditions utilise upscaling system. Players can do them without upscaling, then upscale enemies one, two or three times. So in short you pick how much you want to increase difficulty also you pick who and what bring in party. Want full dps, you do it. want two or three tanks, you do it..

I think same principle should be done for all dungeons.
    I think the same principle should be applied to all dungeon/skirmishes and trials..

Gustave Le Bon.

• Options
    edited September 2022

And what kind of made up theory you come up with about it is your problem, not mine.
    Just as I am not interested in playing in leveling areas, because as I mentioned I have nothing to do there.
    Nobody normal wanted scaling and the game lost more than half of the community thanks to scaling, random queues and more unnecessary reworking of fights/characters, among other things. This is a fact, and no matter how much you close your eyes to it, the fact remains.
    It amuses me that you try to attribute your own inadequacies to others. Maybe don't write back to me any more posts, because discussion with you leads nowhere. Live in your fantasized world and have fun in it.
    Just don't expect others to believe in it
    Not a theory I looked to your profile.
    Untitled

Now again about leveling areas. You still don't get it why I mentioned it.

Without scaling it would be exactly same situation in all game, as like IL 70l would visit leveling area. As you put: Nothing to do there.

Also lot of players where gone cuz they all where bored.

have you looked to video I linked? Avatar of orcus oneshoted. Also in mod 15, the situation where that end game content ( Cradle of death god) the boss fight where lasting just ~4s. yes. Four seconds. The end game content.
    Players where speedruning through any dungeons and oneshoting everything..

Mod 15 brough Acquisitions Incorporated Campaign, a campaign for low lv players. Players where bored and thats why left game. An action combat rpg mmo game, where is no combat at all, I am sorry, no one like such gameplay.
    Gustave Le Bon.

• Options
    Didn't you forget something?Your videos are from time when power was unlimited. If a good DC buffed the player, the boss was going down in few hits.
    Such supposedly experienced and wise you are and you overlooked the problem, which was gotten rid of in mod 16? Well, lol.
    From the point, therefore, you assumed that I deceived you. For this reason alone we have nothing to talk about.
    For my part, ignore.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Well power is not limited even now. You can build power as much you want, but it will not give any additional benefits if you go over the cap.

Also I linked video to show you how it would be without scaling..

Also since you want mod 16, after buff/debuff got removed. OK. Here it is.

Ranger + wiz, mod 16 doing Lomm duo. That's end game dungeon.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDSOyOH0PBA

You don't even need party, no heal, no tank..

Now think about slighly older content. It would not be a fight at all.

Now question want more videos? There are plenty of them in youtube. Enough to type ine > Neverwinter mod 16 or mod 17, gameplay. And you can get lot of videos from that period.

Gustave Le Bon.

• Options
    edited September 2022

Just don't expect others to believe in it
    Not a theory I looked to your profile.
    Untitled

Now again about leveling areas. You still don't get it why I mentioned it.

Without scaling it would be exactly same situation in all game, as like IL 70l would visit leveling area. As you put: Nothing to do there.

Also lot of players where gone cuz they all where bored.

have you looked to video I linked? Avatar of orcus oneshoted. Also in mod 15, the situation where that end game content ( Cradle of death god) the boss fight where lasting just ~4s. yes. Four seconds. The end game content.
    Players where speedruning through any dungeons and oneshoting everything..

Mod 15 brough Acquisitions Incorporated Campaign, a campaign for low lv players. Players where bored and thats why left game. An action combat rpg mmo game, where is no combat at all, I am sorry, no one like such gameplay.
    Please don't include everyone in your thought process. Mod 15 AI was a disaster, and prob the most bought out campaign besides SOMI. Also the reworks they introduced to the feat tree during that time...and then mod 16 rework to destroy it, yeah that's not why people left.

Edit: Or changing actual "rare" comps like cambion magus(that had 5% crit sev, compared to 3% for more low end), to be on par with snowy fawn....that's not why people left.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    stark760 said:

Please don't include everyone in your thought process. Mod 15 AI was a disaster, and prob the most bought out campaign besides SOMI. Also the reworks they introduced to the feat tree during that time...and then mod 16 rework to destroy it, yeah that's not why people left.

Edit: Or changing actual "rare" comps like cambion magus(that had 5% crit sev, compared to 3% for more low end), to be on par with snowy fawn....that's not why people left.

Mod 15 was not nice expansion, thats for sure, but main element where proffesion overhaul, while campaign( if we can call it ) was just additional element. Also Mod 15 was when epic/rare gear salvage got removed, and also when refinament point giving items lost value.

But now lets look from logic stand point why it was done in such way..

1) barovia hunt glitch explotation, lead to massive rAD gains via gear salvage. For some where making over 100k daily, some where making even double than that. And I mean for all alts, not just with one toon.

Players where making too many AD in very short time, and for any mmo game, when too fast currency get gained, that's lead to dissaster.

As for SOMI( sea of moving ice) I actualy liked that campaign. Beutifull area, also that same expansion gived us second trial, the master swardboag.
    And while this voninblod farming was insane hard, I actually liked SKT campaign. I can't find much of downside in it.. Fishing, some did fishing, some instead bough stuffs from AH.
    Big heroic felt as big heroics, not some meh. Also there where reason to actually grind campaing, for weapon set.

Now as for feats, lets be clear.

In mod 10 I switched from dps (fury) warlock to Templock( temptation ) build. The build which have been abandoned and foggoten by devs and players since end of mod 6.
    It took a lot of time and dedication to prove that Templocks are viable build. Whole everyone where trash talking about it, I spent whole time since mod 10 till mod 10.5( SOMI) challenging status quo, that supports are just DC And OP. And I REVIVED this forgoten build. After 10.5 (SOMI) release, there where no alliance whcih would not have Templocks. It was so popular, cuz due insane raw healing you could walk through dungeon without tank. Templock where dps/heal/offtank all in one.
    That's why devs also had to nerf it.

Mod 16 removed templocks from game, and what we have no is wastly inferior warlock heal ( soulweaver) which is just cheap cleric/paladin rip off. So due that I hate mod 16.

But in other hand, up till mod 16, party compilations where Paladin, cleric, maybe GF, and then one of dps usually barbie.
    Whole compositions where so to provide buff/debuffs, in short feed/buff main dps player.

Why Hellbringer warlock path where popular and why Soulbinder lost popularity in mod 10? Cuz Hellbringer had Pillar of Power encounter, which where buff( damage increase) and debuff ( damage resist reduction).
    If your character can't bring any short of buff/debuff = you are not welcome in content runs.

Lets not forget power/gear interactions, like templocks aura: Aura of Despair or Aura of Cruelty.
    If there is ability or item/gear with can proc from hits, if warlock with auras stand in it's effect, that caused massive loop of procs. Players ping skyrocked and obviously you get disconnected.
    In pvp, if any player had Enchantment Shadowclad, and you have aura's, you are stunlocked and have massive lag spikes.
    https://neverwinter.fandom.com/wiki/Shadowclad_Enchantment,_Rank_12

Since due lag you can't do anything, there where two possible outcomes, you get killed or your get disconnected. Pick which one your prefer.

Should I also write about cleric/paladins ?? There where tons of issues with legacy feats and legacy campaign boons.

Also, after mod 16 release, I so more old timers return than leaving. Cuz in early of mod 16, game was more about players skills, when dodge/block/evade. Players where experimenting with abilites. That was fun. It was ACTION COMBAT, based gameplay. But very quickly game set back to Stat/gear benchmarking like gameplay.. Sure there are players who love such type gameplay, but those who want action combat, they left.
    Also players who where where playing as healers for years, left game, your service where not requried, who need a healer in group of enemies bareilly harm you, and with HP potion you restore lost HP anyways.
    Whom need a tank, if due high stats enemies can bareilly harm you. Sorry tanks, go AFK, I can clear dungeon solo anyways.

Why rangers where so popular in mod 16? Due high mobility, and lets not forget high stats, with that in combo, tanks where irrelevant.

Even now, during skirmish runs, even after downscaling, players posses high stats, which make tank/heal presence irrelevant.
    50k IL player can easily carry group through LoMM, even after downscaling. If player can't do that, then he clearly doing something wrongly.

No player like to be passenger in group runs. And while there is this issue even with scaling, without downscaling this issue would be more severe.

So as long there is not decent alternative, thescaling remain best option we can have at this moment.
    Gustave Le Bon.

• Options
    edited September 2022
    You conveniently leave out the introduction to a new feat tree in mod 14-15...which they immediately scrapped.
    The chultan tiger nerf.
    The removal of Coal/pres wards from trade bar store.
    Changing enchantment upgrade to not need extra copies, lowering value of weapon/armor enchants to 1/5 of price in a week.
    Nerf of rare comps(haprer bard/cambion magus/etc), or nerfing blacksmith/rust monster/shadow demon.
    These things they did had nothing to with scaling.
    Scaling was needed(as you say), due to laziness in mod 6 launch to not overhaul the lvling process or zones when they upped lvl to 70, and continued until mod 15(the fix, was mod 16, and push to lvl 80). As for the scaling...i don't build my toon up, to be reduced in nearly all content to 1/2 of what i am in PE. For zone content, fine, scale to appropriate for dread ring/avernus/etc. That should have no bearing on dungeons. If they want to have an easier version for beginners, thats fine, the entire player population shouldn't have to be scaled to 1/2 in dungeons like TIC. It makes the majority of content not fun for players that have passed the lvling zones you refer to. How more of that will help, i dont see. Basically, you desire scaling(which we have, but you want more?), because the game has been lazy and doesn't provide enough content for end game players. The explosion of IL in mod 24 will not help this.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    And let's be honest, the only reason scaling is needed, is because neverwinter was a MMO that went from lvling to lvl 60 or 70, and unlocking skills for months, and earning armor, to being max lvl in 1-2 days. Now, they want new players to catch up instantly, so they won't leave. And we get higher IL gear every mod(which mainly new players use), that is generic and unhelpful besides the IL, which then gets scaled. To cater even more, the scaling allows them to not feel inadequate vs end game players. Solution, make a path for new players and dungeons, and end game players. Content in zones should have nothing to with this.
  • Options
    edited September 2022

So you would prefer to keep OP companions as OP?? Certain gear remain BIS for all time.

Do you remember Orcus set( legacy) from castle never and demogorgon. It where BiS since CN/Demogorgon introduction in mod 8, till mod 16.
    No one bothered to replace it. So what the point is to add new gear or companions if you guys want keep same current companions as BIS?
    It's make nosense at all.

IF there is no change in game, then it's game over. It's remove whole principle of mmo rpg gameplay. That's why if any game have one expansion for too long, players start to quit game. Cuz once you get items, you done, it's game over.
    There is no need to do conent anymore, you have best stuffs.

No drive to do content = no reason to play. = players move to other game..

So while some of you complain that why developers removed your items from being BIS. YOu should realize that if they would just focusing to please certain group of players, then game would be shut down.

Game is not for free, need to make money, pay salary to staff,, pay license fee to Wizards of the Coast which own D&D IP ( intelectual property), pay for host services in Data center, and some other taxes.

But since there is no change, no one spending money = no incomes = game shut down..

Cryptic staff haven't done anything new at all, any other game publisher would done exacly same.. So go ahead complain about game publishing industry.

Also one simple, a tiny thing to remind.

The game bellongs to Cryptic studios. So when you play, you also agree to follow: Terms of Service agreement.
    So staff do changes when they want, and change how they like.
    For us players it's game, for studios its business to make money.

Gustave Le Bon.

• Options

So you would prefer to keep OP companions as OP?? Certain gear remain BIS for all time.

Do you remember Orcus set( legacy) from castle never and demogorgon. It where BiS since CN/Demogorgon introduction in mod 8, till mod 16.
    No one bothered to replace it. So what the point is to add new gear or companions if you guys want keep same current companions as BIS?
    It's make nosense at all.

IF there is no change in game, then it's game over. It's remove whole principle of mmo rpg gameplay. That's why if any game have one expansion for too long, players start to quit game. Cuz once you get items, you done, it's game over.
    There is no need to do conent anymore, you have best stuffs.

No drive to do content = no reason to play. = players move to other game..

So while some of you complain that why developers removed your items from being BIS. YOu should realize that if they would just focusing to please certain group of players, then game would be shut down.

Game is not for free, need to make money, pay salary to staff,, pay license fee to Wizards of the Coast which own D&D IP ( intelectual property), pay for host services in Data center, and some other taxes.

But since there is no change, no one spending money = no incomes = game shut down..

Cryptic staff haven't done anything new at all, any other game publisher would done exacly same.. So go ahead complain about game publishing industry.

Also one simple, a tiny thing to remind.

The game bellongs to Cryptic studios. So when you play, you also agree to follow: Terms of Service agreement.
    So staff do changes when they want, and change how they like.
    For us players it's game, for studios its business to make money.

Removing from being BIS? They removed effectiveness at all on these items, after they were on zen store, like Xuna, and many times it had nothing to with being BIS. Change is one thing, nerfing a comp or item people paid for, is not a scaling change. Or weapon enchants drop in value...what did that have to with comps? Or Bis? People used 7 Coal motes and 8 rank 7 weapon/armor chants, to make 1 rank 10....and then they revalued them by changing the system. The Cambion magus had a better bonus than the con artist( I beleive was 3% crit sev) i believe, as it was more rare...and the game decided to change that after people had acquired them. Yes, change is needed, but the approach of instantly going after what people had just acquired off zen store, or the current mod...and then to make useless overall when they are done...players leave. But go ahead and blame scaling, or lack there of as the reason. Most people leave the game after something they grinded on for months, gets devalued overnight, and isnt even good as a placeholder, until the player recovers from the nerf.