test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dragonslayer Patch Brief: NW.270.20220831a.5

terramakterramak Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 991 Cryptic Developer
Hey there folks,

The patch that went onto the public test shard today is another low-to-no content patch. The purpose of this patch is mainly to get some of our regular engine-level changes into the game, as we continue to maintain and tweak our game engine over time.

Potential examples of engine-level changes:
  • Tweaks and changes to graphics code.
  • Performance optimizations in the game client.
  • Server-side changes and tweaks.
There are still some player-facing game changes by virtue of this being a new game build with newer data. For example, the Band of Air change we'd previously announced is in this build, along with reductions to the HP of various bosses in order to coincide with this change.

One known issue with this update:
If you use the Display Settings in Windows, and use the Scale and Layout setting to adjust the size to something other than 100%, the game client currently behaves strangely. For instance, the borders of text and UI elements draw more thickly and also draw over the elements themselves, causing text to be more difficult to read. The behavior, interestingly, does not show up in screenshots or Snipping Tool captures.

You can work around this by doing the following.
  • Right-click your Neverwinter shortcut, or on your Neverwinter executable, likely in a folder such as:
    • "C:\Program Files (x86)\Neverwinter_en\Neverwinter.exe"
  • Click Properties.
  • Select the Compatibility tab.
  • Click the Change high DPI settings button.
  • Activate the checkbox beneath High DPI scaling override.
    • The dropdown menu should have "Application" selected.
  • Click OK on the windows you've opened.
Or just enter and leave Fullscreen Mode through game options. That's probably a bit easier, but may mess with the sizes of other applications on your desktop.

I'm honestly not sure how many folks this will affect; most folks internally have seen that "High DPI scaling override" checkbox automatically check itself. Still, we're going to try to have people look into this, as a side effect of this setting is that it makes all the game text significantly smaller unless you use in-game UI scaling.

Thanks all!
Terramak
Post edited by terramak on

Comments

• carloswartune#5709 carloswartune Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited September 2022
    Crown of Keldegonn is showing as locked for my character in preview. I already have it unlocked on Live and I also have the required IL, so this is a bit weird. It happens for both the normal and the master versions.

The message says that I need to complete the 5th task on the campaign. But I have the full campaign complete already.

• arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User

Crown of Keldegonn is showing as locked for my character in preview. I already have it unlocked on Live and I also have the required IL, so this is a bit weird. It happens for both the normal and the master versions.

The message says that I need to complete the 5th task on the campaign. But I have the full campaign complete already.

If your character on preview was not recently copied, it isn't going to show your live progress
  • carloswartune#5709 carloswartune Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    arazith07 said:

If your character on preview was not recently copied, it isn't going to show your live progress
    Oh, I see now that my wording wasn't clear. My character was copied after I completed the campaign, so it's currently completed on preview as well. I just mentioned it being unlocked on live to show that it seems to be a preview bug with this new patch. I also did some CoK training runs on preview with this same character, so it really seems related to this patch.

In any case, I just created a new updated copy of my character and I also see the same behavior, the trial remains locked despite the campaign being 100% complete:
  • terramakterramak Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 991 Cryptic Developer
    Sorry, forgot to mention here.

A couple folks looked into this yesterday and determined it's an issue with how we handle character copy to our public test shards, newly exposed by the way we handle campaign unlocks.

Without going into excruciating detail, the campaign unlock is handled on the account level, keyed to the shard (so, for instance, you can't unlock something on NeverwinterPreview then have it still unlocked on the live shard, aka Dragon). But character copy only copies character info, and doesn't have a process for copying over account-level stuff like items in your shared bank, or Dragon campaign unlocks.

In short:
    After investigation, the issue is incredibly unlikely to indicate a problem for the live shard when we update to this build.

However, we'll still see if we can make this better for folks on Preview, because it's still annoying (and counterproductive!) to copy a character and be unable to access content you've unlocked. Might just do what we've done for previous unlocks and put an unlock token in the Wondrous Bazaar.
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User
    edited September 2022
    terramak said:

Sorry, forgot to mention here.

A couple folks looked into this yesterday and determined it's an issue with how we handle character copy to our public test shards, newly exposed by the way we handle campaign unlocks.

Without going into excruciating detail, the campaign unlock is handled on the account level, keyed to the shard (so, for instance, you can't unlock something on NeverwinterPreview then have it still unlocked on the live shard, aka Dragon). But character copy only copies character info, and doesn't have a process for copying over account-level stuff like items in your shared bank, or Dragon campaign unlocks.

In short:
    After investigation, the issue is incredibly unlikely to indicate a problem for the live shard when we update to this build.

However, we'll still see if we can make this better for folks on Preview, because it's still annoying (and counterproductive!) to copy a character and be unable to access content you've unlocked. Might just do what we've done for previous unlocks and put an unlock token in the Wondrous Bazaar.

(quickly prods @terramak about account-wide Foundry reward unlocks -- titles, cloaks, companions, mounts -- and runs away)
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • terramakterramak Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 991 Cryptic Developer
    hustin1 said:

(quickly prods @terramak about account-wide Foundry reward unlocks -- titles, cloaks, companions, mounts -- and runs away)

On our backlog, but not likely in the short term, sorry. :( Definitely still worth doing IMO.
This discussion has been closed.