test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dreadnought Ideas

negation#4491 negation Member Posts: 2 Arc User
Hi all, I want to preface this with some background about myself. My name is Negation and I've been playing NWO since 2016 or just after the release of mod 9. I've logged about 4000 hours steam and arc launcher combined with about 1/4 time playing ranger 1/4 playing rogue and the other half playing DPS Fighter. I swapped classes in mod 12 after seeing so many GF's nuke Orcus and all in all I think that GF fights my playstyle more even though I've always played some sort of assassin or rogue in other MMOs.

Regardless let's get into some changes that could help the DPS spec of Fighters. The number one issue I've always come across while running content is the lack of I-Framing or some way to avoid/reduce the damage we take in pinch situations. Barbs and Warlocks have a form of sprint and Hunters/Rogues/Clerics/Wizard/Bards have dodges, all of which can completely leave them unharmed from even the most harmful of attacks. Fighters and Paladins are stuck with just a shield that is as effective as a paper napkin. I don't know about paladin values but on fighter our shield will only block 40% of our health. For my current build at 73k IL that makes it have a blocking potential of 315,885.2 health in unscaled content or 405,040 with a full BiS build at 81k IL. Not even including that 20% of our stats are dependent on stamina percent.

So not even do our shield's barely block enough damage to be a worthy trade of no I-Frames but in the rare situation that we can survive with our shield up we lose 20% of base stats and even worse if we use Lionheart, Forest Guardian boots, Mercenary Helmet, ETC.

Now let's go over some changes that can be made. First off, I think that the % passive stats we get from stamina should be moved to vengeance it only makes sense that our hatred for our enemies would fuel us. It also would give cryptic some avenues to tinker around maybe change feats so that we don't always have vengeance at 100% when running Roiling Hatred. I think I speak for some of us when I say that I would rather have to manage my vengeance than just lose 20% stats because a mobs decided to give me a bonk instead of the tank.

I think that the % of HP that our shield is based on needs to be buffed to a solid 60%. This would give us just a bit more wiggle room to soak a hit without just dying or losing all our stamina. However, I think this could honestly just not be enough. So, another idea, theoretically adding a parry mechanic to the first second or less of a fighter's shift would be amazing. The animation is already in the game with Tide of Iron or Retaliate on the Tank spec, and it would still require some sort of skill to pull off correctly. Something along the lines of using 25% stamina and either being a guaranteed deflect or just a severe damage reduction to a cap would be phenomenal.

I would love to hear others' opinions about some changes feel free to interact with this post or even add me on discord Negation#1496.

I look forward to seeing some changes to fighters in the future 10 mods after Bard, Wizard, Pally, WK Rogues, Warden Rangers, Healer Warlocks, and Tank Barbs. Sadge.

Comments

• rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User

Fighters and Paladins are stuck with just a shield that is as effective as a paper napkin. I don't know about paladin values but on fighter our shield will only block 40% of our health.

The general guard mechanic is also 40% of max HP on the tank classes as well.
    The potty squat "class mechanic" on the goofy fighter dps side is also 40% of maximum HP.

So not even do our shield's barely block enough damage to be a worthy trade of no I-Frames but in the rare situation that we can survive with our shield up we lose 20% of base stats and even worse if we use Lionheart, Forest Guardian boots, Mercenary Helmet, ETC.

Just don't block the attacks then.

Attacks that target DPS come in two flavors:
    If it's an attack the developers want you to completely avoid, just move out of the way. Trying to guard it usually results in you dying.
    If it's an attack the developers force you to take, it is usually survivable without using guard.

If Guard is ever the difference between to survive a mechanic/attack versus dying, that indicates you have usually* made a mistake in some way, like being lazy about not moving out of red areas, or failed to do the mechanic correctly (like getting hit by a mechanic which imposes a debuff or not grouping up for hypo correctly).

*Dragon hunts don't count because they are poorly designed to begin with no matter which class you play. I am not sure which developer seems to think "fun" involves "constantly being knocked back/stunned/dazed".

I think I speak for some of us when I say that I would rather have to manage my vengeance than just lose 20% stats because a mobs decided to give me a bonk instead of the tank.

While I like the idea of making the meter a more relevant mechanic, there is next to no meter management to do at the moment.

The meter basically sits at 100% nearly all the time, except for when you use Anvil and it temporarily dips to 85% before Rolling Hatred fills you back up to 100%.

I think that the % of HP that our shield is based on needs to be buffed to a solid 60%. This would give us just a bit more wiggle room to soak a hit without just dying or losing all our stamina.

Unnecessary, given how attacks that target DPS role players are designed.

So, another idea, theoretically adding a parry mechanic to the first second or less of a fighter's shift would be amazing. The animation is already in the game with Tide of Iron or Retaliate on the Tank spec, and it would still require some sort of skill to pull off correctly. Something along the lines of using 25% stamina and either being a guaranteed deflect or just a severe damage reduction to a cap would be phenomenal.

A parry mechanic for timing your block would rather good.
    It would also make the subclass flavor of counter attacker make more sense, rather than "overtuned block of great numbers that is best at running away".

• modlesiemodlesie Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    Fighter has the worst shift mechanic in game, Shield from paper and cardboard which protects against nothing actually because you will die instantly, and sometimes as a fighter you have no other option than just use shift mechanic and praying to not be one-shotted because you are not fast enough to run away from in game mechanics.

Shield need to be change in some ways

+1 to this topic.
  • wolfenstein#8205 wolfenstein Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    DPS GF shift so much useless, 300-400 k block not enough. İf you in RC or +70 dungeon Even if you are a great player, you die more than other players.Many skills need change