test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Achievements for older mods need improvements

destrowoddestrowod Member Posts: 484 Arc User
I got back on the game a few months ago after pretty much 4 years being off beside 1 day here and there playing a bit of Undermountain story (cause when i intended to started again for the first time, it was the most recent mod). Anyway so when i came back to the game this time with attentions of playing several times a week, i finished Undermountain (since i had started it) , at least the main story, and then i decided to resume where i left back then with CHULT. On a side note relic huting for the achievement is long, boring, but its nothing i feel compare to Chult.

What made me originally quit back then was the grindy nature of the game and how a time sink it could be combined with the fact that achievements for Chult were litteraly a NIGHTMARE, making stuff like Gears Seriously 3.0 looks like cake...

So i played Chult and i had fun with the zone/story itself. Dinos are cool, it change from the usual mob the game has. Thanks to my guild gifting me Genie's wich i used in 2x currency i was able to move faster the totem grind and stuff.

But now that i am simply working on the achievements, i come to the realisation its still an insane grind and a colossal waste of time. Im not even talking about that No Gods too Small achievement wich glitched on me (i made a thread about this in the right section) i am talking about ... the rest.

The thing is the mod is OLD, and nothing you can get in it is worth anything anymore beside "look/transmute" compare to better items you can get elsewhere. And the cake is that RINGS have no transmute. I heard it was worst before, but the reality is its still obscene how much time you need to put in this to hope to get the achievements.

This morning i spent litteraly an hour just killing 3 groups of tigers in hope to get a smilodon. First time i got them didn't even gave me anything... took til the second group to finally get the trophy. Some ennemies are rather common, the golem i must have 20 of there legs trophy, the tyranosaur is quite common, the dymetro... whatever their name (dino's that look like raptors) are kinda common too altough not as much as the first 2 i named. Sometimes i just wander around and i stumble on them. But i have yet to see a single Venom tail. Bigclaw are rare too, smilodon need farm litteraly cause tiger are almost hidden so unless you know where they are, you will just miss them.

And even tough i don't need to explain it all (its your game so you know) the sheer ammount of them you need to get to the 3 star hunt (Tyrant) is crazy, its hours of farms. And then, when you do fight the tyrant, only 1 person has a CHANCE at a +5 ring. I know some peoples can solo it, but not me yet. My buddy did it with me once and i got a +4. Imagine if you manage to get a couple +5 and the last 1 or 2 just won't appear, we talking hundreds of hours, all of this for item worth NOTHING in the game now. Oh and i don't think there is any new rings, but guess what, gotta farm you way to 3 star hunt in Omu as well... suuuuper.

And i didn't mention yet the armors, you need like 4 sets wich are all purchasable with the Soshen river (sorry if i butcher the name) currency and the Omu currency only serve to get artifact weapons wich are again... not usefull now, and not link to an achievement, so its not like i could farm both currency to go faster to get the armors. I have no use for the artifact weapons. The only saving grace for this one is that you CAN get it over time if your patient and do the weekly each week, or if you use genie's gift and pay your way for a few 5G achievements... (yeah!...not)

What im trying to say is that you can spend MONTHS on this mod alone, for items that are worth nothing much, only for unlocking achievements. I don't hate the hunt concept itself, i just wish ANY ennemies could drop the trophy.

And where we at now, i think another "fix" is needed for these cheevos. The +5 rings one still have a 0.01% unlock rate, for a 5G achievement for items now useless, its not good. What could be done is make the lure buyable on auction house for instance, or better yet, make the +5 rings buyable. And if you want to truly do it the right way, put the +5 rings in the campaign store so you can buy them with AD or currency or something.

I know some peoples will say that achievements are meaningless and blablabla, but i like unlocking them, and when you invest as much hours into a game, i think its cool to have all of them. Im fine with some being harder for newer dungeons and such, im not saying i should be able to get all with a 25k item level toon in 50 hours, but the current grind is just NOT FUN. I mean when it comes to old content. And i know you CAN change an achievement, its been done before in some games. In this case you don't even need to change the requirements, just change how to actually met them...

Personally ill only grind some more to be able to get all the 1-2 stars done in both zone but im not redoing it all multiple times to fight the tyrant or that other beast in Omu 50 times in hope ill get those +5 rings.

I only restarted for what, 2 months, and i feel the Neverwinter burnout already coming because i feel i spent too much time grinding Chult. I know its a current trend that games are getting grindy/live services (im playing WWE 2K22 and MyFaction discourage me).

Anyway, back to NW, what you did with Tyranny of dragons by the way... thats pretty cool ! I noticed Well of Dragons is harder now, bigger item level, but once you get there, you just need to do each quest once. PUUUURRFECT !

I wish more legacy campaigns would be changed that way. For a new commer on the game, its crazy how overwhelmed they could be of all this content, so if they have to spent months on one single mod/campaign, its just too much man...

Anyway sorry it was a long post but i felt it had to be said. I think the game is fun itself, and its cool to play with friends and do dungeons, but doing boring stuff by yourself is the worst. And i noticed by the way the trophies on PS4 are adapted to be less of a chore, there is no +5 rings trophy ... like you realized how absurde it was when you released the PS4 version and just removed it. So please... do us a favor, make it more achievable...

Comments

• yodaxiii#5790 yodaxiii Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I know two month old post, but as someone that went through the process of getting all the chult achievements, just wanted to give some advice in case you come across this again. it sounded like you were saying that you can only get +5 rings from tyrant hunts, but if you look in collections you'll see the different hunts that will drop the different rings, all of them have a 1 or 2 star hunt that will drop, so if you're specifically ring hunting that will make it easier. It is definitely an annoying grind, my last ring was batiri and i must've done 40+ hunts before it dropped, the others ones were easier. Best way to go about it is just when you hop on, pick a ring, go around and farm a couple lure mats of the ring you're hunting (specific mob + trex), then make a few lures and try your luck. if u get annoyed just move on to something else. I paired this with catching 50 lvl5 fish in somi, so when i got bored with one i could switch it up. those two achievements and 500 relics are probably a three way tie for most tedious time wasting achievements. if u weren't using a map before, this is the reference i used and it helped a bunch: https://static.wixstatic.com/media/988616_bc05e67218b84ed3a4cfcc16972367ad~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_560,h_474,al_c,q_80,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01,enc_auto/988616_bc05e67218b84ed3a4cfcc16972367ad~mv2.jpg
    can basically just alternate between the groups of the mob youre farming and the trex path for max efficiency.

for the armors, like you said 3/4 can be purchased with chultan riches in the campaign store, however league's elite, which was acquired from making them with chultan professions recipes, is currently uncraftable because their materials are unobtainable, so if you are missing it you will have to buy a set from the ah. if you do, be aware you can purchase pieces that are not your class types, EXCEPT for the arms. the arms MUST be a class type belonging to ONE of your characters- i bought the rogue arms on my wizard and it popped. no idea why it has that stipulation, but you can cross reference with the ta solution. for the rest, chultan riches can be farmed pretty easily by doing tong- you can get 40 riches per puzzle solved, and 1000 riches from venomous cache received from chest at the end of the dungeon. if you're doing patrols for campaign progress, you can use your treasure maps and get chultan riches this way too.

overall, there are definitely a lot of tasks to complete chult, but its definitely doable if you just take it in stride. even though i suffered to get the achievement i would definitely be for a further increase in drop rate for 1star lure pieces. as you say, its uncommon for the hunt mob to spawn in the first place (outside of ogres) and there is a low drop rate on top of that. at the same time, the drop rate for 1 star hunts mats onward being guaranteed, and the boost to the +5 rings dropping, made this achievement go from basically impossible to just pretty annoying. totally get the burnout, but as someone who's been there, if you choose to come back hopefully you can have some fun trying to get this achievement. the struggle makes the unlock that much sweeter, and the ring leader title is pretty nice too :p much love :)

• sparhawk#3963 sparhawk Member Posts: 1 New User
    Just adding my thoughts here, for which I agree. If you you all would consider converting some older campaigns into additional adventures. Those adventures are super-fun, and I honestly wish I could go back and play them over again. Adding more of the legacy campaigns to make them adventures would be great! I'm not saying we shouldn't grind campaigns here and there, but if not that, please consider reducing older campaign requirements to be less grindy.

Another option, which could perhaps negate this, would be to rework the boons you receive so that they are more impactful for the work. People are telling me on other forums that the boons aren't worth the grind and to just get the gear you need. If it weren't for the legacy campaign challenges, I probably wouldn't even visit those areas, BUT if the boons became more worthwhile to grind, I sure would.