test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tyranny of Dragons News - Positive!!!

A lot of us are disillusioned and extremely let down by the decisions of the last year, but this feels like a step towards regaining some of the fun we used to enjoy here.

Based on experiences with my favorite content being shelved last year, and Demogorgon being ruined for...well, about half the time I've spent playing NeverWinter - I was freaking out when I heard that ToD was being converted to a dungeon.

Watching my wife play Sharandar was what got me interested in NeverWinter. That game was shelved unceremoniously one week before I reached the level threshold to begin it.

But it was Charthraxis that got my kids to come running through the house, screaming the names of dragons, whenever she showed up in Neverdeath. Losing Charthraxis and Vartilingorix and Merothrax and Vilithrax -- we still know their names -- was the most personal betrayal of having that content removed. Sure, "veteran players and new" were more interested in the latest releases, but some of us really looked forward to those dragons every day.

Note: My older daughter got disillusioned when the dragons were removed from those regions, and when she also lost the ability to play Random Trials, she basically gave up entirely. My wife and I used to play with her several nights a week. Now we're lucky if she'll log in with us a couple times a month. She hasn't articulated it, but she basically feels as though anything she comes to enjoy in this game will be deleted, so why bother?

All that negativity to say this: The recent news article on Tyranny of Dragons implies that respect was shown for it. That the husk of a great campaign has been preserved in a way that will still be enjoyable for those who haven't been driven away completely.

I can only dream that some of the old campaigns (SHARANDAR???) might get similar treatment someday. I mean, when you meet Merisarra in Sharandar in the current campaign, the quest thread literally reads "Reunite with Merisarra." How do I reunited with someone who was deleted a week before I got to meet her? And please don't say "Fetch Quest."

As someone who is still smarting over being told that Skyhold had to be removed because it lacked "visual fidelity" (seriously, who let that guy post on behalf of the company?), I'm hoping this new Tyranny of Dragons approach means that my remaining favorites (Cloaked Ascendancy, Storm King's Thunder) won't just be deleted when they're deemed too old.

I know this post has listed a lot of gripes, but I hope the overall theme of, "the future looks brighter" isn't completely lost.

A lot of us are disillusioned and extremely let down by the decisions of the last year, but this feels like a step towards regaining some of the fun we used to enjoy here.

Comments

• Options
    chaderickrax#3780 chaderickrax Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    Edit: Converted to an "Adventure," not a "Dungeon."

I'd actually make an edit, but this forum tends to delete things that I try to edit.