test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Adding Extra Features To The Training Room (Adventurer's Guild)

deadmano#4272 deadmano Member Posts: 73 Arc User
I was told Elliot or Ryan might be persuaded to look into updates to the training room that exists in the Adventurer's Guild?

So a little tag for @avathar#2753 with regards to seeing features such as being able to bring in a party into the training room so as to teach party/role/class mechanics.

I'd also love to see the ability to set a specific amount of damage being done by a boss to a target so as to be able to better work on blocking, damage mitigation, etc. when dealing with things such as tank busters.

The ability to also trigger certain mechanics such as damage share (hypo) would be a cool feature, so as to train newcomers to these mechanics together as a party. Failing the party front, at least spawn a few actors so that you can run to them to test the damage soak etc.

These are just a few improvements that I think could go a very long way into helping players better understand their role, and add to the already existing bits we have.

Is this something we could see in an update? Even if it is just repurposing the existing boss that can be spawned to additionally have a "set damage" trigger so it constantly hits for x magnitude? 100K? 500K? 1M?

Comments

• Options
    oracle#9179 oracle Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited April 2022
    The training room has been great for testing purposes, but still could be a lot better.

Add a summonable entity that holds threat for you

If you are a melee character, you can't simply practice your rotation uninterrupted for very long. Either the dummy will die, or it will kill you. There's no way to attack it without being yourself attacked.

If you are testing and you are using something that procs when enemies aren't facing you (e.g. Arcturia's Music Box artifact set, Netherese Arcanist companion power, Midnight Cuirass equip bonus), well, it's not going to work in the training room.

Let me heal the wounded

Most healing doesn't work on the wounded illusions in the training room. Only at-wills seem to work, unless you are a bard. Let me heal them like party members - if my encounter power says it heals party members, let it heal the illusions. If I'm gaining power or outgoing healing by having party members or by being nearby, let that proc when I'm close to the illusions. Let me protect them with my daily (and have that buff icon show next to their HP bars).

Teaching players is one thing, but I'd like to be able to bring party members into the training room for testing purposes. There's so much gear and so many mechanics that are impossible to test solo, and impractical to test on existing test dummies.

Make enemy attack magnitude constant

If I'm trying to test some mitigation, it's too hard to answer the question "did the dummy reduce its outgoing damage, or did I?". It's easy to determine effectiveness (ratio of damage taken to base damage shown in parentheses in combat log), but differences in base damage values are ambiguous. Maybe I'm a tiefling and my racial power Infernal Wrath reduced the strength of the hit. Or maybe the dummy hit a little softer that time. Or was it because my paladin's divinity wasn't full and so my critical avoidance was reduced?

My sugggestion is to make the magnitude fixed (not the damage). The damage dealt should still be affected by the normal things such as buffs, debuffs, offensive stats, defensive stats.

Allow higher enemy ratings

The highest setting is for 45k. My DPS kills it pretty quick, which ends the test. My tank doesn't get scratched by it. Not only are item levels significantly higher now, but why even limit it to the range of possible player item levels? Let us set it anywhere from 5k rating to 250k rating! Now my tank can proc gear that requires it to take 15% or more of its HP in a single blow. Now I can time myself and see how fast (or painfully slow!) I can deal 100 million damage.

Better together

The great thing about the training room is that it's controlled. Things can be reset at will, and have well-defined and predictable behaviour and positions. There isn't anywhere like this where we can test with other players, though. There are also certain things that are exceptionally difficult to measure and test without other players, such as threat generation.

• Options
    callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User

I was told Elliot or Ryan might be persuaded to look into updates to the training room that exists in the Adventurer's Guild?

So a little tag for @avathar#2753 with regards to seeing features such as being able to bring in a party into the training room so as to teach party/role/class mechanics.

I'd also love to see the ability to set a specific amount of damage being done by a boss to a target so as to be able to better work on blocking, damage mitigation, etc. when dealing with things such as tank busters.

The ability to also trigger certain mechanics such as damage share (hypo) would be a cool feature, so as to train newcomers to these mechanics together as a party. Failing the party front, at least spawn a few actors so that you can run to them to test the damage soak etc.

These are just a few improvements that I think could go a very long way into helping players better understand their role, and add to the already existing bits we have.

Is this something we could see in an update? Even if it is just repurposing the existing boss that can be spawned to additionally have a "set damage" trigger so it constantly hits for x magnitude? 100K? 500K? 1M?

Wait... there's a training room somewhere?

if so make it like in the old Marvel Comics - The X-Men had one, Fantastic Four had one, and didnt the Avengers have one?
  • Options
    arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User

if so make it like in the old Marvel Comics - The X-Men had one, Fantastic Four had one, and didnt the Avengers have one?
    It's in the Adventuring guild (old pvp place). New characters go there to complete quests
  • Options
    callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    arazith07 said:

It's in the Adventuring guild (old pvp place). New characters go there to complete quests
    Yeah I remembered and checked it out - definitely a feature that could be upgraded and added to.

Lots of potential there but currently it seemed a bit useless to me