test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

ZAX exchange and Preservation Wards

lordaule#2304 lordaule Member Posts: 7 Arc User
edited June 2021 in General Discussion (PC)
We all know the Zen to Astral Diamond exchange (ZAX), and how it's a player-driven market.

There's one significant factor that subverts this exchange, to the detriment of new players and the exchange itself: Preservation Wards.

Problem Description:

New players, or anyone ranking up a new weapon set or artifact set, require preservation wards. Dozens, in fact. And there are very few places to acquire them in-game:
- Dungeon premium rewards, may drop 1 preservation ward
- Coffer after invoking serveral days, may drop 1 preservation ward
- Special events (such as the RP event, or Gond) may drop 1 preservation ward at a time
- Hell Pit (and Harvester or Nightmares) allows the purchase of 10 preservation ward packs

Because of the aforementioned limitations, the most reliable source of preservation wards is the Zen market. To a player who needs wards, they have two options:
1. Purchase them with Zen
2. Purchase them off the Auction House from another player

For a new player who hasn't decided if they want to invest money in the game but needs to upgrade well, everything, the only viable option is really #2.
This ALSO means that for the player who purchased Zen, they can make a higher exchange rate by reselling wards than they can make from directly converting the Zen to AD using the ZAX, as long as they're willing to wait for the wards to sell. This has three effects:
1. Players who need to purchase wards have to pay a higher rate than the ZAX exchange cap
2. Players selling wards make a higher exchange rate than the ZAX cap
3. Sellers not using the ZAX to exchange zen means the ZAX market backlog only grows, because there's very little downward pressure from sellers.

Suggestions:

A. The first suggestion is to increase the sources of Preservation wards to new players, for example in the "leveling" dungeons that low item level players routinely use.

B. The second suggestion is to modify the ZAX exchange, as follows:
Each day that a Zen order is outstanding, the system should automatically convert 100 Zen worth of AD.
This value is enough to purchase 1 pack of preservation wards. To purchase VIP will take 10 days (out of the 30).
To a player trying to purchase the cap 5,000 zen, this will take almost 2 months.
This slow, steady drain of the capped ZAX will stop operating when the ZAX is no longer backlogged: it will return to a player-driven market.

This slow rate should not reduce in much Zen sales, for the following reasons:
1) The automatic drain would only function when there's a backlog
2) The 100 Zen a day won't allow for purchase of many premium items. For example, it would take 42 days to purchase the Rank 14 Weapon/Armor Enchantment choice box, which is only up for 1 week.
3) There will still be players who purchase Zen to speed up the game, who don't want to wait for the exchange to come in.

These suggestions will help new players and also help return the ZAX exchange to a healthy player-driven market, as it was intended.
Tagged:

Comments

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    They want new player to spend money and it is intended. Keeping the backlog long is also "intended" for the first sentence.

In addition, old player (when they were new player) went through the same route.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • sagakaiyume#0847 sagakaiyume Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    People say this game has the best business model thanks to the zax, but its outdated or beat out by games like WoW, runescape and guild wars 2. WoW and runescape allows you to buy membership with ingame currency without this wait, while gw2 lets you exchange gold for premium currency anytime you want.

This game has a lot of competition as is, with more games coming up constantly and more major mistakes constantly from this company, they really need to step in with zax and improve how it works.
  • xenocide#6577 xenocide Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    I think the Zax is supposed to provide a way for players who buy Zen to be able to convert it into astral diamonds, as of right now the Zax is working at 100% efficiency since players are able to sell their Zen and get astral diamonds instantly.

This was proven when magic legends launched and cryptic added a massive amount of aether (the astral diamonds of magic) to the exchange on that game so players wouldn't have to wait to sell their Zen.

Although i do agree I would like to see more ways to get preservation wards, it's almost half the price to buy a rank 15 enchantment than it is to make one. So maybe the price will level out overtime?
  • kharkov58kharkov58 Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    The only problem with the ZAX is that there is not enough demand for AD to keep it balanced. The person buying Pres Wards with zen and selling it on the auction house is providing a service to those players that do not have the patience to wait for the ZAX to convert their AD to ZEN. They deserve to be compensated for this service. The amount of compensation is determined by how much the customer is willing to pay for the Pres Wards. If you think the price is too high, don't buy them.
  • hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    This zen exchange has been a hot topic for some time now. My wife spoke out here attempted to explain this is not so much in Cryptic's hands. All they have done is place two shopping carts for players to exchange. The factor has been explained that the backlog is a product of need and greed. People want zen and don't need AD. The only control factor is placing items in the game that players want and can buy for AD only. That would mean the preservation wards you are suggesting would need to be bound to account and purchased from the Wondrous Bazaar.

Assuming they added these items alone, it may not be enough for players to pull AD from the exchange. Neverwinter is the only game so far to have the Auction directly linked to the zen via the AD. It has been my observation that mostly new players have purchased 1000 zen and spent it directly on AD. Since this is a very rare occurrence, the zen cart remains empty. Wards can be purchased with zen, converted to more AD in the Auction, only a naive player would bother to throw 1000 zen into the exchange.

If they placed account bound on all wards, then the people buying them only to resell them would stop. They want sales. However the patient player can currently sit on the zen for a year in the exchange and repeat the process without having to grind or play the game. The longer the wait becomes and and the impatient players spend money on zen.

My wife told the team back during alpha testing, the market should be gold based just like Star Trek and Champions before it. This is why those two exchanges don't see a backlog. It is obviously too late to make that kind of change after 8 years. I seriously doubt they will do anything with the exchange at this point. They are making some attempts to absorb AD but none of them seem very functional or well liked by the players.

Currently AD posted in late January is arriving now, anyone posting AD now is estimated to get zen no earlier than late February of 2022. If you are patient, you will eventually get your zen.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,092 Arc User
    kharkov58 said:

The only problem with the ZAX is that there is not enough demand for AD to keep it balanced. The person buying Pres Wards with zen and selling it on the auction house is providing a service to those players that do not have the patience to wait for the ZAX to convert their AD to ZEN. They deserve to be compensated for this service. The amount of compensation is determined by how much the customer is willing to pay for the Pres Wards. If you think the price is too high, don't buy them.

There is no balance. Nor should there be. It is a Supply and Demand system. Demand for zen is high and the supply is low. This leads to those that "really" want it now to spend money. Win for Cryptic.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • sagakaiyume#0847 sagakaiyume Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    @hotfrostworm Yeah, aware of how it works, just that its outdated and done better elsewhere with more competition on its way. That's why changes need to happen, unless they're planning to just milk this game for a couple more months before a full shutdown.
  • hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User

@hotfrostworm Yeah, aware of how it works, just that its outdated and done better elsewhere with more competition on its way. That's why changes need to happen, unless they're planning to just milk this game for a couple more months before a full shutdown.

They won't shut it down, they will continue to "milk this game" and the others long after they release Magic this summer. I assume it will be late this summer or early fall? I wonder if it will have a zen exchange as their other games do? I plan to test it for Linux OS when it becomes available for public download.