test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Preview testing Windows 10 / Linux

hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User
Windows 10 is on the left and Linux is on the right.

YouTube: This is not comparing OS, this is testing the WINE application for Linux users and 3D gaming. It is not a game review, the game used is free to play Neverwinter by Cryptic Studios. This is not a display of my mad skillz at gaming, I don't play this game. Any lagging seen during play is not the fault of either OS, the game appears choppy in both OS at times. The game was testing on the same machine with the same hardware. This is just a video to allow Linux users to know what to expect from using the WINE app available with most Linux distributions. Current versions of WINE can be found free at WINEHQ and PlayonLinux. CodeWeavers has paid customer support for their proprietary version of this software. -- Brian Black

What is Linux OS?
Linux OS and the WINE app is not supported by Cryptic Studios... come to think of it, Windows 10 issues are not supported either. I basically don't play this game, I use it as an "acid test" for this Linux application. While I am here, I do my best to assist the players in need, and tell the developers what I see on my end. If you ever bought a Chrome Book, it runs on a version of Linux called Chrome OS. If you own an Android phone or tablet, it is a version of Linux OS.
I use Linux as business software because;
  • It boots up fast (35 seconds on my PC)
  • Free to download
  • I can choose my browser (no forced apps)
  • I can back it up to a tiny thumb drive
  • Malware targeted for Windows doesn't effect Linux
  • The desktop user interface has high customization
  • Updating is always optional
In my personal opinion, PCs are best for work and consoles are built for playing games. At present you could spend $2000 on a game graphics card for your PC or just buy the newest console for $500.