test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

launcher failure

omack#6690 omack Member Posts: 11 Arc User
For the past two days I have been unable to get past a launcher update.
I ran aa ping -t -a command to the update server and it responded ever ping.
But for some unknown reason the update is telling me that it can not contact the server.
What gives? This kinda of failure and the slow response of the coding team to anlalyse the issue causing this failure and fix the problem in a timely manner is a perfact example why I seldom pay for items in the game store. Also this is a reason for the loss of active players. Get it together ya all.

Comments

• nic1985nic1985 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 415 Arc User
    I think someone suggest to turn off your virus scan/firewall exception for Neverwinter, could fix the launcher/patch download issues.
  • omack#6690 omack Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    launcher epic falure! 3 days and counting.
  • hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    Which launcher are you using? The default launcher, Arc, or Steam?

To run the default, navigate to the Cryptic Studios folder located on your C: drive. Then execute Neverwinter.exe this should bring up the default launcher by itself. You cannot avoid patching the Neverwinter.exe (default launcher), if it is out of date.
    edited June 2021
    @ hotfrostwarm;
    I am using the Arc launcher. Any tips where I might find the default launcher?
    It has been four days now. and from what I gather the launcher was updated on June 2nd..
    Did someone screw the pooch? Epic!

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User
    edited June 2021

@ hotfrostwarm;
    I am using the Arc launcher. Any tips where I might find the default launcher?
    It has been four days now. and from what I gather the launcher was updated on June 2nd..
    Did someone screw the pooch? Epic!

If you use Arc launcher, that means you had problem to connect to the Arc launcher site for whatever reason and not (necessary) the game site.

In my system, the direct game launder program is in:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Neverwinter_en\Neverwinter.exe"

The game launcher was updated recently but based on your description, it is your Arc launcher is having problem. I have no idea if Arc launcher was updated or not because I don't use it.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • blargskullblargskull Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    I think a lot of players just add a desktop shortcut to; C:\Program Files (x86)\Neverwinter_en\Neverwinter.exe and told the Arc Launcher to go get stuffed. I played many years before they decided to create the Arc Launcher.

I never use spyware. :trollface:

Just killing time...
    Thanks to those for their imput, tried that and it too failed. Looking like a corrupt file. I hate to do this because the game load takes almost two days but it looks like a delete game and reinstall. Grrr
    Thanks for the imput
    edited June 2021
    uninstalled Arc and the game, reinstall in progress. As I suspected it appears to have been a corrupted file.
    Game is now updating. There is another post here in this forum that discusses game server timeouts and connecting issues. After reviewing my tracert I tend to agree that there may be an issue with one of the servers in the round robin.
  • rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    I use GeForce Experience to launch the game, it's part of what comes with my GPU. You don't have to use Arc or Steam you can open the launcher in all sorts of ways and as has been said, you can even just make a shortcut to the .exe file on ur desktop and open the game directly if you want to.
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.
  • rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    I just thought of something which might be useful, if you still have issues, try looking at your Network adapter settings, it may be something to do with that. Not game-related, but I had an issue for about a year where after switching to a different broadband modem and higher-speed plan, it would act really funny when I restarted the computer, it would appear connected as normal and tell me it was connected fine, but even though I'm supposedly on high speed broadband it would be really slow and not load webpages properly, timeout, all sorts of strange behaviour. I would have to restart the computer several times and then suddenly it would be fine and running at the expected speed and stay that way until I restarted again. It was driving me mad. I had to end-up leaving the computer switched on all the time for fear of losing my good connection because as soon as I shut it down or restarted it, I had to go through this stupid process of starting it again and again to get the connection to behave. I was in contact with my provider so many times asking for help thinking it was something going-on at their end but they were not helping me and just saying everything was fine. Then somehow I stumbled across a discussion thread somewhere online and had a look at my network adapter settings, I downloaded a tool they recommended in the thread which enabled me to tweak my settings in detail and followed their recommendations and once I turned some settings off and altered one or two others to match what they were saying, it was all good and I have not had the problem ever since. It was mainly the energy saving settings (sometimes shown as 'EEE" or 'Green Ethernet') which were on by default which were causing issues, that and the 'speed and duplex' setting and once I disabled the EEE and Green settings (which someone in the thread had said was the cause of their issues as well) and adjusted the duplex speed setting upwards, all was fine and dandy. I'm not saying this is your issue, but if you try everything else and it's still playing up, it's something to look at because it affects the transmission of data back and forth and can appear at the other end of your connection that you are disconnected when you aren't.
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.
  • hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    I don't know if "they" mind me telling you this, but you can start the game client without a launcher at all. This can only be done with a fully patched game and client, but it saves a few milliseconds I suppose? These can be added to a text file with the extension .cmd or .bat then executed from folder. The first line should take you to your Live folder. The second line executes the client directly passing along the needed server data.

cd "\Program Files (x86)\Neverwinter_en\Neverwinter\Live"
    x64\GameClient.exe -SetAccountServer accounts.crypticstudios.com -server 208.95.184.11 -server 208.95.186.161 -server 208.95.186.81 -server 208.95.186.156

You still need the base Neverwinter.exe to patch the game or you will get an error message saying the version is wrong please patch first. If they shuffle the servers, then you will also get a connection error. The launcher's function is to verify files, patch if needed, and pass along the server information to client. The nice thing about the default launcher, it exits out after the client starts up.

Arc and Steam hang around in memory wasting space. Their only purpose is to act as a community hub, software catalog, and downloader. I am almost certain there is no spyware in there. :lol: