test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

About augment companions state

Let me get this straight... Augments are useless.
Now before I get any hate from Augment lovers...
I wish that was not the case, but it is. I have been using augment for a long time, until I realized: Hey, I don't need these ratings capped, I only need the totals!
So, I went on to reorganize my character with indomitable x6 and guess what? I still reach 4x 90%s with a possible 65 to 67% accuracy where on augment build it's just 1% in accuracy less - or not even less as I can cap it at 66% with Ratatouile. Of course, I need a ranger in the team to cap combat advantage but most of the time there is one - otherwise I am just 1.5% off on crit strike too.
The point of augment companions was that they gave more stats so that the player could do more damage or get better resistances than with a striker, now with hard caps of 90% it just doesn't work since you can easily bypass that.
And this isn't the case just for DPS - tanks use golden lion or angel of protection for even higher defense than an augment can provide!

The only fix I see here is that they should not only give more stats, even if it is a small amount, but also raise raw percentages so that there's more flexibility on the way to build your character - like 5% to each of the bonus stats. Otherwise, it makes no sense to run an augment in content since you're just lowering your own DPS while your sheet looks good only cosmetically.

Comments

• admiralwarlord#3792 admiralwarlord Member Posts: 611 Arc User
    I agree at all with your comment. I was really happy not to have to use attack companions again (I'm not using it yet and I don't plan, even losing damage). In the preview post about companions it was clear that I would trade a gain of 15% status to use an attack companion that would give 15% of my damage, only I do not believe that this loss status is at that level, but also do not believe that the companions are giving only 15% of one that character could give.

For these problems cited I did not invest in an attack companion, and if it is something I have to do I believe I will leave the game, since I know that they are always adjusted when it performs well or when something new is released. For those who have had death slaad, fire archon, chultan tiger and other assets, know how annoying it is to have to change constantly, especially when you have multiples characters.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/11481603-combat-rework?fbclid=IwAR35C2aspp1C2gafDwsVE2lXopHw1nY1kbAgmG4w-iTaLny9_RGjDIfwOfM

• admiralwarlord#3792 admiralwarlord Member Posts: 611 Arc User
    I forgot to quote something curious that are the new items of companions. While the ones we use give 1515 status, the new ones according to the collection will give more than 11k of status, only with less combined rating.
  • aerhythia#3255 aerhythia Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    Yep.

The only fix I see here is that they should not only give more stats, even if it is a small amount, but also raise raw percentages so that there's more flexibility on the way to build your character - like 5% to each of the bonus stats. Otherwise, it makes no sense to run an augment in content since you're just lowering your own DPS while your sheet looks good only cosmetically.

Agreed, however it would give even more flexibility if augment provides 1% in all stats, and like 3% in their own stat (e.g. Bulette pup 3% power, combat advantage, defense and 1% in every other category)

• dracory1#6808 dracory1 Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    > @aerhythia#3255 said:
    > Yep.
    > Agreed, however it would give even more flexibility if augment provides 1% in all stats, and like 3% in their own stat (e.g. Bulette pup 3% power, combat advantage, defense and 1% in every other category)

Well... after some discussion it turned out that it would not be enough. It would be enough if the stats could go over the cap - but they can't. So augments would also need to provide utility buffs... physical/magical damage, recharge speed, AP gain etc. 1% to all, +5% to the three chosen and +5% to two utility would do the trick probably.
  • hastati96hastati96 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    This topic is kinda funny and tbh I feel a bit sad for the devs. First striker comps are useless (far back in time), people complain. Now augments are weaker than striker comps, people complain again. This discussion has been going an since many many years lol.

Something will always be better than the other, there is no perfect balance.
    Nero - Palacetamol - Essence of Aggression
    > @hastati96 said:
    > This topic is kinda funny and tbh I feel a bit sad for the devs. First striker comps are useless (far back in time), people complain. Now augments are weaker than striker comps, people complain again. This discussion has been going an since many many years lol.
    >
    > Something will always be better than the other, there is no perfect balance.

Don't be mistaken, it's not a complaint. I'm stating a fact. Before there were some strikers that when used with right build were making a player's damage skyrocket. Before mod 16 augment was making a player stronger, too. Some were running them at that point in time. Now they give nothing.
  • aerhythia#3255 aerhythia Member Posts: 173 Arc User

Well... after some discussion it turned out that it would not be enough. It would be enough if the stats could go over the cap - but they can't. So augments would also need to provide utility buffs... physical/magical damage, recharge speed, AP gain etc. 1% to all, +5% to the three chosen and +5% to two utility would do the trick probably.

You're right, although it might be harder to cap with new helmets and chest pieces in the future if they give damage boosts instead of percentages.

I'd definitely consider augments on some of my characters (which aren't close to maxed) if they at least gave percentages to main stats though.

> @aerhythia#3255 said:
    > You're right, although it might be harder to cap with new helmets and chest pieces in the future if they give damage boosts instead of percentages.
    >
    > I'd definitely consider augments on some of my characters (which aren't close to maxed) if they at least gave percentages to main stats though.

Let me be honest here, you don't need higher item level piece with trash bonus. Players use stamina +3% damage shirt from UM rather than 5k power shirt as at over 50k item level you're definitely capped on power and that shirt gives less than 500 item level - so you lose the damage boost for nothing. Nope, that's different topic but smart people won't just trash good bonuses for mediocre with minimal increase to damage which gives them less than the piece they wore before.

Even then, if a higher item level piece with some better bonus appears, unless it has completely reverse stats than the class that wants to use it, the player will be able to cap with only minor shifts to their build.