test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How new scaling will affect progression in Neverwinter

the1truehunterthe1truehunter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 211 Arc User
I have always been vocal about things I don`t like, vocal about things I have experienced over and over again, which I have to struggle, accept and move on just for the sake of what Neverwinter represented to me. Everything have a limit and even if I am a strong person and I can endure more I choose to speak loudly about my feelings now. It is about the time and effort I have but in this game trying to enjoy it even if it wasn`t in the greatest form or far from that. I can no longer accept the fact that this developement team defyes the overwhelming amount of negative feedback on their product, trying to promote something they consider as being the right way to do develop things. I do perfectly understand the fact that this game it is just a business and needs to generate revenue but when you don`t care about your actual customers and only about the new ones, this is a behaivor that should be stoped. The presented solutions of the new scaling system are meant to target the new players and make them spend money under the impression of progression but the sad truth is that they will notice later on there is no real progression left in the actual form of the game due to the scaling system, that was originally designed to give a better and accurate situation of your character in scaled content. In reality what this sistem does is to scale you in 98% of the game content and make your toon equal to anyone that have the item level closer to the minimum required by the content he wants to play. As an example Infernal Citadel which is the latest dungeon (we are not talking about trials yet) in the game where you can have similar performance if you make good choices in early character building, as someone with same class, similar build but much higher item level. To be more specific you can perform with a 30k character, as someone with 54k character who spent with 100millions AD more on enchantments, insignias, collars, mounts and companions boolster, without having a real impact of the performance in this scaled content. Scaling will raise here few concerns as I would like to present to you in this topic.

In first of all the fact that no one smart enough won`t make future investitions in their avatars trying to get higher item level without a real gain in performance, in scaled content which is by the way applied in 98% of the game content as I mentioned above. I am saying that because the cost of every single thing in this game is not small and when you will compare those prices with the gain you will notice it doesn`t simply worth the investition. I can choose to not use any of my 18 slotted enchantments and lose nothing in scaled content. And unfortunately for me I have spent over 36millions of AD to get those (estimative price at 2million on average each).

The second problem of the scaling system is that it doesn`t give you better rewards, but instead it takes longer to complete the desired content because your performance here is capped due to the scaling. Now again, if I meet the minimum item level requested there is no point in trying to gain more than that. (Item level will only allow you to acces future content without giving you a better performance). So everything becomes liniar and you will be trapped on this stupid path like a hamster
is trapped on a wheel trying to go higher but he can`t, because wheel spins and he will land in the intitial point. In one world it eliminates progression.

I do like and understand the fact that there should be some kind of difficulty no matter with content you are playing but I fail to understand why there is no real difference in terms of performance between someone who have item level 54k and another person with 30k playing the same class, having the same combat style and using the same core build. This problem alone doesn t give anyone incentive to go back and redo any of the older content in a competitive maneer because will have this stupid feeling. When I choose to invest and get everything maxed out I did it to be able to run any content faster. It may sound unfair for new players or undergeared players, but this is a problem that developement team should ve been adressed in the past, making different tiers for each dungeons and allow us to choose which one to play in regard to our item level and difficulty we may want to experience.

I don`t find the actual solution for the scaling healty for actual players who spent a fortune for performance and it is not good for future of the game. People will slowly realize that hey were fooled and their investitions were canceled in 98% of the game content and everything they can do is repeat the same content over and over, hope to drop something and use or sell to buy what? Fashion? Would be cool. But this is another topic I would like to talk about another time. Doesn`t matter how they will develop future things because I live in present and present it is not in the right place. Everyone lost even if they want to accept it or not, even if they decide to believe me or not. If you can live with this I have nothing to say to you but sorry. This is just my opinion and my personal experience with this change.

Comments

• Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,095 Arc User
    What progression?
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    silente07#2597 silente07 Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    Everyone gets a trophy for just showing up is what bit Destiny in the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. As much as we love free stuff, people like to earn achievements and have them make a difference.
    Folks get real bitter when Noob1 can do just as well as they do after years of playing.