test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I just dont understand the ratings

Hi all,
I am so confused about these ratings. Im hearing alot of information and it seems so disconnected.
This is what I understand Arc has done to make their game easier and understand.

Ratings are a direct portion of what your character does.
Ie if you have 90% crit then you will crit 90% of the time.
There is a "hard cap" of +stats that stop at 50%
This can be increased to 90% via +% stats
example +1000 crit is < 51%, +1% crit > 51%

This makes it very simple to understand and build your character. (Which im assuming is what should be intended)

Heres what im confused about
I keep hearing that CERTAIN ratings are on a sliding scale and some are not.
Examples:
90% crit is NOT 90% crit if you are casting a healing spell, but is 90% crit if you cast an offensive spell
90% Defense is NOT 90% Damage resistance but is infact on an unknown number that tops out at 52% damage resistance.

This makes the game NOT intuitive but even harder to understand as you dont know if your numbers are correct or not.
As a player I should be able to look at my ratings and see and understand EXACTLY what i do. This is not the case and I need to pull an outside app to calculate what my character actually does.

Is this what arc is doing? Why would you do this and expect an outside source who is NOT on your payroll to create this secondary content to actually understand your game?

Ontop of all this, imagine if I was a brand new player without any "outside sources" to draw on. How could I play this game without completely being horrible at it? (Due to my stats saying one thing but my character actually being something completely different)

Wouldn't it make sense that if for example you dont want people to have 90% damage resistance you just move the Hard cap to 60%? (50% from +stats, 10% from +% stats)

Im just confused and would love to hear positive results to this serious question.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    reg1981reg1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,435 Arc User
    That is the million astral diamond question right there isn't it(I know doesn't sound as good as "The million dollar question"). I have what feels like a solid build started but I really won't know until I can play more content or hear from other people. There is no way to know from tutorials or my character sheet that I can see!

I really really really hope the stat rework hits live a week or two before the new content. Give us a chance to try and work this out before the new content. Let's be real, I suspect the gen. pop of this game will wanna play the content before touching a build. I did. Despite the devs warning us to look at our characters first, I went for the content with my toon as is copied from live.
  • Options
    arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User

Hi all,
    I am so confused about these ratings. Im hearing alot of information and it seems so disconnected.
    This is what I understand Arc has done to make their game easier and understand.

Ratings are a direct portion of what your character does.
    Ie if you have 90% crit then you will crit 90% of the time.
    There is a "hard cap" of +stats that stop at 50%
    This can be increased to 90% via +% stats
    example +1000 crit is < 51%, +1% crit > 51%

This makes it very simple to understand and build your character. (Which im assuming is what should be intended)

Heres what im confused about
    I keep hearing that CERTAIN ratings are on a sliding scale and some are not.
    Examples:
    90% crit is NOT 90% crit if you are casting a healing spell, but is 90% crit if you cast an offensive spell
    90% Defense is NOT 90% Damage resistance but is infact on an unknown number that tops out at 52% damage resistance.

This makes the game NOT intuitive but even harder to understand as you dont know if your numbers are correct or not.
    As a player I should be able to look at my ratings and see and understand EXACTLY what i do. This is not the case and I need to pull an outside app to calculate what my character actually does.

Is this what arc is doing? Why would you do this and expect an outside source who is NOT on your payroll to create this secondary content to actually understand your game?

Ontop of all this, imagine if I was a brand new player without any "outside sources" to draw on. How could I play this game without completely being horrible at it? (Due to my stats saying one thing but my character actually being something completely different)

Wouldn't it make sense that if for example you dont want people to have 90% damage resistance you just move the Hard cap to 60%? (50% from +stats, 10% from +% stats)

Im just confused and would love to hear positive results to this serious question.

Thanks.

I totally understand where your frustration comes from. Unfortunately, this is what had to be to balance between everything regarding Defense and deflect Severity. While your proposal of just lowering the Defense cap to 60% instead might sound good, it would be really easy then for dps to cap and it would make tanks seem less desired in content. Now, dps would have to sacrifice a lot to cap defense.

Another way you can look at the difference in formulas, it to look at the end results of each stat (minus Crit/deflect). 90% power almost doubles your damage, 90% defense almost halves the damage, just like CA almost doubles your damage and Awareness almost halves the damage.