test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Racial Illusion Token .. maybe someday?

Yep, been pushing for some sort of racial change illusion token for years. Apparently never gonna happen. So DB are stuck with fashion if you want a head graphic.

All these years and all those illusionists in the Hall of Illusions cannot figure it out! I suggested making it a quest, campaign reward, and literally everything you could think ... even as a Zen purchase!

Doubt the coding for it would be that hard .... (haven't programmed since Y2K .. so a tad rusty ... but the logic should work)

If Illusion_Race>0 Then Current_Race = Illusion_Race != Base_Race Else Current_Race = Base_Race
Display_Race = Current_Race

Give each race a number from 1- to however many races you wanna make ... simple table where 0 = no Illusion_Race used or chosen!
SO that would work for anyone ... Drow could look like a Sun Elf, Half-Orc as a Halfling, DB would be able to choose ANY other race for appearance, etc!

Not like we're asking you to revamp fashion or appearance gear ... just the ability to use Hall of Illusions for SOMETHING!

Elsill Killya, Neverguild

Comments

• skyvalker64skyvalker64 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 55 Arc User
    +1 to that...

I have been playing a subpar race mechanically for appearance reasons even though the BiS for some of the classes I play is Dragonborn/half-orc
  • erikanudanerikanudan Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    As I said, haven't programmed since Y2K ... but still have my old 010101 Y2K binary tie somewhere.

So after reviewing my old coding, here's the revamp ...

If Illusion_Race > 0 Then Display_Race = Illusion_Race Else Display_Race = Character_Race

A lot simpler. And doesn't complicate things like racial bonuses/stats.

Already plenty of items that give you illusions of creatures .... how can it be so hard to program and let chars be one class and look like another?

Should be a fairly simple recode of the top end ... really hope to see it in some form someday.

• johnjohniiijohnjohniii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 108 Arc User
    +1
  • theraxin#5169 theraxin Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    The main issue of the illusion token is not programming or development, but just plain PR.

If the developers acknowledge that players actively hate and annoyed by how ugly and underdeveloped the literal P2W race is (Imagine buying something and it's not just faulty in the head, it stays like that for years) and even pay to look like how they want (in a "free" RPG), the actual illusion of "yeah, players want to be dragonborns" would shatter as most people 100% would not want to look like 1 race out of 10(?).

Edit: Because a "race" without the actual race change is just a power boost you buy for your character.

The actual solution would be to make most races at least semi-comparative, which was an actual downgrade from pre-mod16 to mod16. Illusion token is just a patchwork on a patchwork.

Or you could do what I do and just use the halloween Crypt raiders or something costume to look palatable. Because the developers currently more interested in fixing what they are breaking now, than what they broke long ago.