test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Remember the Gateway?

justkickinitjustkickinit Member Posts: 53 Arc User
With apps and smartphones being so advance these days, has there been any noise about starting a new type of app to access things like the old gateway?
Probably cost prohibitive but who knows?

Comments

• pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    The old Gateway was eliminated because it required too much effort keeping the bots out and was outside the dev's field of knowledge, website design. A standalone app could possibly do better with the anti-botting but still has the problem of needing specialized support. Given the amount of sales gimmicks recently, it seems a safe bet they aren't in a position to expand like that.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    The highest value of the gateway was doing professions, and those have been nuked to near uselessness (we aren't allowed to have nice things without significant penalties). That leaves mail, AH, guild management.....not sure giving more access to those is a high priority for a game that is toward the end of its life cycle.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    My opinion was and still is, many regular players stopped or played the 3D game less often. I believe the botting was just a means to an end. The mini game gave us some nice companion gear at the time and micro managed professions. There was no issue with botting the AH listings which was much more manageable than the one in the client. Sorting listings was a real breeze on that version.

Cost prohibitive? My husband has several free application to make Adroid games and apps. The time to make a 2D mini game would be less six months with a small team of two to four people. They will not bring it back, just like the Foundry, those things drew people away from their game to play outside the need to acquire more Zen.

Have fun! <3
    wb-cenders.gif
  • dheffernandheffernan Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 216 Arc User
    Actually the highest value of the Gateway was Sword Coast Adventures. Miss that.
    @Venture-1 @Venture from City of Heroes if you remember that far back. Yes, *that* Venture. Yes, I probably trashed your MA arc. For me it was Tuesday.
  • obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    I loved Sword Coast Adventures. One reason they won’t do it is that every companion needed to be put in. With all the minor variations I’m not sure how many that would even be now.

Was really cool to find the rarest pet jewelry or the thief companion and sell it for a lot on AH.
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    obsiddia said:

I loved Sword Coast Adventures. One reason they won’t do it is that every companion needed to be put in. With all the minor variations I’m not sure how many that would even be now.

Was really cool to find the rarest pet jewelry or the thief companion and sell it for a lot on AH.

Actually the way it worked before, they rendered your pets server side then posted the image. They seem to have cut out all server side rendering in the game. This was done by removing our portraits in module 16. The reason I know they used server side rendering the 2D image of your hero would change when you applied new armors and sometimes the shading on the portraits was too dark by facing away from the light when entering a zone. They didn't need to make anything "new" the program pulled all the data directly from the database.

You are right, it was very cool, but didn't sell Zen.

wb-cenders.gif
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    Yeah, Sword Coast Adventures was fun. I liked it, anyway.

I stopped playing for a while, and that included SCA, but I stuck with SCA for a good while after I stopped logging in to the game.
    I liked the different dice mechanic and the strategy of choosing the right companions for the right tasks.

I wish there was some way to bring that back, for whatever rewards, but I understand that it is not at all likely to happen.