test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Graphic Settings Auto Reset to Minimum

Hellos.

So my problem is as follows: Whenever I change a single setting in graphic settings, field of view or the resolution scale all of my graphic settings are set to minimum. This is really annoying. And only happens a while after I last changed a setting. For example an hour. Has anyone witnissed same issue?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    The file that controls these settings is found inside the installation folder "Cryptic Studios\Neverwinter\Live\localdata" a text file called Gameprefs.Pref
    Check the properties to see if this got flagged as "Read Only" the system cannot write to the file. That can also work to your advantage, as once the settings are the way you like them, back up this file with Gameprefs.bak, and then anytime the game changes them copy the saved .bak to the .Pref file.

If the file is deleted, the system will just set it back up again from scratch.
  • Options
    xanderleopard2#4636 xanderleopard2 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    it is not read only. the game saves it cuz i can confirm it by restarting the game. the graphic settings are saved. its only when i attempt to change a setting, everything resets to minimum. settings other than graphics are saved. even resolution scale is saved. this also happens on another PC. for instance after a while when i set world detail to high, game freezes for about 2 seconds and BOOM all to minimum
    Post edited by xanderleopard2#4636 on
  • Options
    hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    This appears to be their standard for the client to panic, and reset the graphics as low as possible, when it cannot identify your GPU or Video RAM is too low. This happens mostly on PCs and laptops using motherboard (on board) graphics. If your graphics is low memory or non-standard then the game is just not allowing it to ramp up beyond the hardware's abilities.

Another possibility, the Direct X isn't sending any card identification other than the version number, and you can check that with DxDiag and if the drivers are signed. Use the diagnostic tool to check for the digital signatures on the video drivers. Also you can use the utility to create a report about your computer by running Dxdiag.exe and clicking on the Save All Information button.

Otherwise, if you cannot get the game to comply, as I suggested above, you could get the file flagged as "read only" and the game will not be allowed to make changes to those preferences.