test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Costly unreliable information: upgrade process image vs actual result; Unbinding service?

roadkill#6177 roadkill Member Posts: 534 Arc User
I have now encountered a 2nd example of the same type of problem where pertinent information is lacking.

The first happened with epic insignia upgrading, which is now obsolete, but the newest version is showing itself with mount collar upgrades. The upgrade preview image for the result does not show bound status and I assumed I could rely on the literal accuracy of the preview image for what I would be getting if I committed to the process. I wrote a ticket about this because I lost approximately 1kk AD with that upgrade all due to a lack of information. If this happened outside the boundaries of the Terms of Service, this could be a case of false advertising, bait and switch tactics. Support said they would pass on my feedback but would not compensate my loss.

8 months later, enter mount overhaul patch, promo collar choice pack which has an epic Bound (Account) collar, again with a process preview that does not include bound status. I had searched and no found information why a bound item will remain bound throughout an upgrading process, and I considered my prior feedback might have affected change to literal accuracy, so, I upgraded the collar I chose from that promo choice pack but once again got a Bound (Account) result. I lost approximately 1kk AD in this process again.

I don't know if the design of this upgrading process is intentional or just lacking consideration, but when I tried to explain to support why I'm p***ed about the lack of reliable information, I was met with myopic/irrational answers/arguments or avoided.

I'm hoping someone can direct me to a source about upgrading bound items will retain bound stats despite imagery indicating otherwise, because support did not.

Basically, having the upgrading process as is, is not user friendly.

And so, even though I believe I should be provided with the item I worked for, paid for and expected, I have another suggestion about binding status in general:

Though personally I don't like that I have to pay for unbinding enchants from items, especially when I'm a Rank 5 Mastercrafter in all professions, the process involves a type of unbinding. So, how about implementing an option for players to pay for unbinding items from their character and/or account?

Comments

• arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    Bound items will never become unbound. When upgrading items, they retain the bound status of the original item unless otherwise warned (upgrading artifacts for example gives you a warning box when you attempt to upgrade an unbound artifact). Any dev posts about this would be posted back when bound enchantments where first introduced, approximately seven years ago. I do not remember if it was a dev blog or a forum post. This is just one of those common sense sort of things as most games exhibit similar rules, some even have unbinding items that you have to pay real money for.
  • roadkill#6177 roadkill Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    In general, common sense is not so common.

I tried to apply my sense of what is common as pertains to advertising to this game, to this process, as I have little experience with other online games. The Neverwinter official wiki has no information on this binding mechanism being persistent through upgrades.

In my perspective, everything costs real money. How to calculate how much effort and money I put into this upgrade process? That's why I ticketed them for the value I esteemed to be fair, which is none other than the result I expected, but they have thus far refused to pay.

I contacted the BBB on the issue regarding the insignia upgrade process and PWE stopped communications through that process also. I tried to explain how they were missing the points I'm making but they were not obligated to the BBB to answer and did not answer.

When I get the opportunity, I guess I'll just have to go through every patch note to find this little gem of information about bound status retention/persistence and if I find it, then I can blame myself for not doing my own due diligence. If I don't find it, I expect to be compensated at that time.

Whether I find it or not, the issue remains in my perspective that the process is not user friendly.