test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Free AD Collar - minor issue

sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
I know math hasn't been Cryptic's strength... but I finally got around to trying out the free AD collar they handed me. I am not saying it is broken, but their math sure is off the mark.

The collar reads +6% to Rough AD drops. Arcane Reservoir gives 4,500 and 4,500 + 6% is 4770. I know this because my state sales tax is 6%. But then when I take AR in Sharandar it reads 4,769. I mean sure, it is off by only 1 AD. 45 x 6 = 270 not 269. Why is it rounding down when there isn't even a decimal place to cope with??? :confused:

Thanks for the rAD booster, I plan to use it in good health. <3
wb-cenders.gif

Comments

• Options
    rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    God, you wanted accurate results with multiplication? This game has issues even with simple additions. Mathematics is no easy task. And 6%? That must be complicated for both calculation and QC. Especially since QC does not pick even the notorious odd amount of sapphires and such during double refinement week.
  • Options
    hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    This type of error in programming is made by attempting to compensate for possible decimal places in the formula.

Such as;
    TotalRoughAD += Int (RoughAstralDiamondsDropped * 0.06 - 0.5)
    or worse yet... this;
    TotalRoughAD += Int (RoughAstralDiamondsDropped * 0.06) - 1

Int (4500 * 0.06 - 0.5) = 270 - 0.5 = 269.5

Then instead of rounding up they truncated the decimal with Integer function.
    When work in areas I don't want decimal places, I use Integer function to check for decimal places.

If ( (RoughAstralDiamondsDropped * 0.06) - Int (RoughAstralDiamondsDropped * 0.06) <> 0) then
    .... // We have decimal places.
    else
    .... // We have no decimal places.
    endif

I can only imagine the time consumed and the wages, sifting through the code for a video game, is just not worth it. Back in the day on the old IBM systems, we had to print out the code (hard copy) just to debug. Debugging on the old CRT was just not possible. At least, I never had to deal with those punch card systems. I am pretty sure the server isn't running on punch cards? ;)