test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Wizards, Wizards and More Wizards.

highlyunstablehighlyunstable Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 343 Arc User
I think it is time for all us Wizards to stand up and say "We're Not gonna Take it... ANYMORE". Yes, our class under preforms most all DPS Classes. In certain cases, can be seen on the leader boards of a LoMM, ToMM or Zariel.. right under the Barb, and/or Hunter, and/or Rogue and/or Arbiter. Now, I get the fact that we "USE" to be a pure support class way back in earlier Mods.... but the class seriously needs some love, as the Barb, Cleric, Fighter and Hunter got. One of our best feats to use.. gives 3% damage.. TO OTHER PLAYERS. I mean, come on..

Just throw us a bone here... Mod 16 took the BEST encounter combo's and divided them between the two builds and left us with.. Disinagrate.. Ummm, TY I guess. Just PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE look into your hearts, and our sad eyes ( Puppy dog eyes btw) and give your forgotten, lonely step child some much needed affection. : ))

Comments

• arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    From my understanding Arcanist is still performing well, they may not be as good as some other classes, but they are still competitive. You guys were the best for M16-17, while you may not now be, you are still close to the top performing classes. Next class balance update is going to be focused on the Thaumaturge and Whisperknife paths (along with more stuff for healers).
  • bifflincultebifflinculte Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    I've started a thread about the wizard class in the class section, maybe not the best place to make it visible to devs :

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1257232/the-wizard-class-is-waiting

Arcanist is performing well only because of a single feature : arcane empowerment (daily) for boss fights and Nightmare Wizardry (feat) for pve. Arcane mastery is too weak.

Thaumaturge has nice spells and feats (Shatter strike) on paper, but in reality the dps is below all other dd classes/paragons. Smolder should be a great dot source, but it only represents 1-2% of total damage.

Another big issue is the gameplay. Wizards rely a lot on encounter powers, but their cooldowns are very long. It wasn't a problem before mod 16 since they could dramatically reduce them by investing in recovery. Now, you cast your 4 encounters and have to wait patiently they are down, and use your at-wills as fillers. And there is no effective/convenient aoe at-will power.
  • bifflincultebifflinculte Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    Encounter spells also need an overhaul. Arcanists need a 2nd lightning spell in place of an arcane. And thaumaturges a 3rd fire spell in place of a cold, in order to have 3 spells of both elements available. From there, it's easy to imagine cold/fire rotation mechanics. The mastery (tab) should enhance every encounter more than granting a 10% damage bonus : side effects, alternative mechanic...

Dailies are too much aoe focused and many are useless because of their low magnitude compared to Oppressive Force.

When mod 16 was launched, the wizard was a good recast of cw, besides the previously described gameplay issue. But with the time, many little changes on one hand and some big nerfs on the other hand made the wizard the worst dd class.

I don't think the wizard needs a rollback to mod 16 or even previous but deep and bold overhaul :
    - More consistent spells and magnitudes at similar level as other classes
    - Lower cds or efficient cd reduction mechanics or even new encounter cast system for better gameplay
    - Synergy between magic from different kinds
    - But alternatively also synergy between magic from same kind (like arcane magic, arcanist)
    - Strong paragon specific mechanics : arcane mastery for arcanist, smolder/rimefire for thaumaturge
    - Better at-wills, half single-target, half aoe
    - Less control aoe dailies
    - Balanced class features
  • highlyunstablehighlyunstable Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 343 Arc User
    ty