So, we got the hunts yesterday I had really been looking forward to them to fill the gap between now and Sept. 15th when Milestone II starts.
But oh, boy...what a disappointment.
Now, we first got hunts in Chult - a good idea, but flawed, with many issues that people complained about - the tropies and lures did not stack, it was RNG on top of RNG, meaning that you could spend a lot of time farming T1 hunts and then T2 to finally get a T3 lure for just a chance of a good reward. Now, some of the bigger issues did get fixed, but I would not call the Chult hunts good - "tedious and frustrating" would be a better description.
Then we got the Barovia hunts, and from my perspective, they were a massive improvement. Fewer layers of RNG and many more worthwhile rewards.
So, I thought Cryptic had learned from its mistakes with the Chult hunts and the Avernus hunts would incorporate those leassons and we would get some fun and engaging content, maybe like the Barovia hunts.
But no.It is Chult all over again - just worse.
Now, I have not done all the hunts, only 4 of them - but here are the issues I have seen with the Avernus hunts:
If we are supposed to eventually get T2 trophies from T1 hunts, but they are not yet dropping, it makes ZERO sense to do hunts at this time. Save your lures until the T2 trophies start dropping, otherwise you will just have to do the T1 hunts all over again.
- The Manes. They spawn in 5 locations, and are the real bottleneck of the hunts. Everyone is just driving between those 5 spawn points and killing them within seconds of their apperance. Worse yet, the Trophy drop rate seems rather pathetic. I managed to kill 11 manes yesterday - got a grand total of two trophies. Considering what others around me are reporting, I suspect I was unusually unlucky, but still. This part is in no sense what I would consider "fun and engaging gameplay" - it is a boring, tedious grind, and an extremely annoying bottleneck.
- The other targets. There are 20-30 locations where the other targets spawn, so it's not that bad....in fact, you can collect their trophies fairly easily. Now, the "not-stacking" issue did not get fixed, so they tend to take up an annoying amount of space, and because you need one trophy from a mane for every trophy from something else, we are back to the Mane bottleneck.
- Variable difficulty of T1 hunts. In Chult, the T1 hunt targets were easily soloable. Here, the difficulty is more variable - some can be fairly eaily soloed - others are significantly more challenging - more what I would have expected a T2 hunt to be like (soloable only by really good players, but best done in a party).
- Lack of rewards. So, as I said, I have only done 4 hunts - and did not get any worthwhile rewards. Why should I bother farming trophies if the chance of getting a reward is this low? That was a part of the "RNG on top of RNG on top of..:" issue with the Chult hunts.
- The Armor drops. Although I did not get any of the primary rewards (the armor drops), some other people did get things like The Balor bracers and so on. Now, those items are not all bad - several of them are desirable transmutes (and fortunately they are BtA, so you can share them with alts), but as for actually using them - well, the issue is that their bonuses are mostly uniformly bad, and many players who are able to do the hunts will already have better pieces. (Consider Goristo's Horns, for example.... a temporary 1% bonus to Critical strike? I would not be surprised if most players capable of doing the hunts had that maxed out already ... now, it it had been a 1% bonus to Critical Severity, that would have been different - any chance this is just a typo?). At any rate, the armors are not that great, but maybe the T2 and T3 rewards will be better. Maybe.
- The T2 trophy issue. Considering that the hunts seem based on the Chult hunts (unfortunately), I would have expected the T1 hunts to drop Trophies to make T2 lures. Well, that is not happening, and I suspect that is because the T2 hunts are not active yet.
So, overall, sorry, but the Avernus hunts are just not worth my time. I guess that until Sept. 15th, I will only be logging in briefly to collect my daily stuff and then do something else.