test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Critical Mechanics

raymark#0909 raymark Member Posts: 32 Arc User
I understand that there needs to be balance in that not every hit should crit. I am even fine with some sort of medium that balance out crit to this 50% max that exists. What drives me nuts however is that i spend minutes grinding up my AP bar to setup a full rotation of all my encounters and dailies ready to go and then bam boom bing .... all 4 of them (actaully 6 since hateful knives hits more than once) do not crit in a row wasting my whole setup. Then just to rub salt in the wound my weak at - wills crit the next 3 times in a row. Sure overall its around 50% crit but the whole effectiveness of this (when this happens) amount to HAMSTER damage output. There no way that this should be happening. The amount of time it takes at times to be able to setup a full rotation and then get nothing for it when none of the hits crit.

There should be some system that checks the last 1-2 hits and if they have not crit the next one should guaranteed crit. This ensures that for a rotation like mine that at LEAST 1 of my encounters/dailies will crit. Truthfully in a 4-6 hit rotation it should always have at LEAST 2 of those be successful crit hits.

OR

Seperate at-wills from encounters in the overall crit percent. Success on at-wills should not punish your encounters/dailies crits. At-wills are basicly useless (pet hit damage, for my class at least maybe not other classes) anyways.

OR

Label an encounter / daily / feat / power with a guaranteed crit success. aka Hateful Knives guarantees at least one of its hits crits.

Comments

• Options
    arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    But then we would have a system in which you couldn't also have every one of those 4-6 hit rotation crit on every attack. Just because something has a 50% chance, doesn't mean it absolutely has to crit 50% of the time when looking at an extremely small sample. Roll a die a bit, you'll at times see a streak of low numbers or high numbers, or it can alternate between low and high. If you took any 5 rolls in a row, you can see the same behavior that you see in game.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,242 Arc User
    This is not a critical chance issue. It is a generic RNG issue (if it is an issue).

For example,

opening skill node should be 75% chance. How many times I failed 6 times in a row? Many.

Checking if the Barovia citizen is a spy. I don't know what the chance of being a spy is but in the last weekend, I failed 12 times in a row (too many good but nosy Barovia citizen went out at night). It could be more if the night was not over.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options

arazith

In all my suggestions above its still possible to have complete success on crits. So the inverse argument you suggest is flat out wrong. In practice I see far more crit fails on my encounters/dailies then i do the other way around. Now I do not know what class you play so I can not speak for your rotations or skills usage, but for mine at-will are useless in between fillers used to fill up action bar. Encounters and dailies are where the real damage is and saying that the crits should be applied more often more consistantly over my encounters/dailies (not asking for 100% but make my AP grind worth the grind).

This is not even factoring in accuracy/deflect issues. Its bad enough that I see so many crit fails but then add the fact that maybe I do finally get lucky on crit but it does half the damage because of deflect. And NO at this point I am not asking to rethink accuracy/deflect.... just crit rates.

plasticbat
    Sure it is a randomness issue, but I am looking a specific application ... crit success (for which I offered several soutions). At this point Barovian spys are not my concern. See my post about Ridiculous drop rates (same forum category) and post something there if Barovian spys is an issue for you.

• Options
    arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User

arazith

In all my suggestions above its still possible to have complete success on crits. So the inverse argument you suggest is flat out wrong. In practice I see far more crit fails on my encounters/dailies then i do the other way around. Now I do not know what class you play so I can not speak for your rotations or skills usage, but for mine at-will are useless in between fillers used to fill up action bar. Encounters and dailies are where the real damage is and saying that the crits should be applied more often more consistantly over my encounters/dailies (not asking for 100% but make my AP grind worth the grind).

This is not even factoring in accuracy/deflect issues. Its bad enough that I see so many crit fails but then add the fact that maybe I do finally get lucky on crit but it does half the damage because of deflect. And NO at this point I am not asking to rethink accuracy/deflect.... just crit rates.

plasticbat
    Sure it is a randomness issue, but I am looking a specific application ... crit success (for which I offered several soutions). At this point Barovian spys are not my concern. See my post about Ridiculous drop rates (same forum category) and post something there if Barovian spys is an issue for you.

If the devs decide to implement this though, they WILL put in the inverse though. It's one thing to put a streak breaker in enchanting, as RNG can absolutely take a toll, but in combat with crit rate, a streak breaker will just end up with players having a higher than 50% crit rate unless they punish streaks of crits as well. (Deflects can simply be overcome with enough accuracy, but I understand this is not part of the discussion).
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,242 Arc User

plasticbat

What I whined about were not issue for me at all. I live with it and deal with it.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    arazith07 said:

arazith

plasticbat

If the devs decide to implement this though, they WILL put in the inverse though. It's one thing to put a streak breaker in enchanting, as RNG can absolutely take a toll, but in combat with crit rate, a streak breaker will just end up with players having a higher than 50% crit rate unless they punish streaks of crits as well. (Deflects can simply be overcome with enough accuracy, but I understand this is not part of the discussion).
    Now your just making assumptions that while you are entitled to, have nothing to do with what I am concerned about. But for arguments sake lets say they did make such an adjustment. It is a very low chance that they would end up hurting my rotations (can not speak for yours). I will take a guaranteed 2 crits in my 4-6 encounter / daily hits every single time over the HIGHLY unlikely chance that they end up "nerfing" all 6 hits being crits. Most likely what would happen is that it would end up being that my at-wills would lose a few crits .... and I will take that trade any day that ends with Y.