test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

My opinions on how to make pvp a little more fun.

quickfoot#7851 quickfoot Member Posts: 488 Arc User
edited June 2020 in PvP Discussion
Healing is still out of control, I can self heal from 10% to full with just insignia bonuses. Disallow insignia bonuses in PVP, or change how effective they are in PVP, maybe adjust healing.

My second point goes hand in hand with the first. The magnitudes on each class's powers needs to be adjusted in PVP, things work differently in PVP than PVE. The ability to kill another player, especially in 1v1 is highly dependent on your ability to burst down their HP before they can heal themselves with their insignia bonuses. Fewer and stronger hitting attacks will always be better than many weaker attacks because the many weaker attacks also proc their self heals many more time. This last fact automatically makes some classes strictly better for PvP than others.

A perfect example that highlights the above two points is the Wizard ability "Ray of Heals" :3 "Heal your opponent for 1% of their max HP every second and apply a stack of chill".

I would like 2 dps classes going 1v1 to take at least 3-4 rotations to kill someone, regardless of which class, so something like 45 seconds to a minute. It redonkulous to walk up to someone while built tanky af, and get taken down to 10-15% hp in less than 2 seconds, and the whole time be stun locked and unable to do squat.

Anyways, just when I think I'm about to put the game down for another 3-6 months, I buy some enchants for pvp and get hooked again :(

Comments

• Options
    kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    here is how to make pvp more fun

actually release the Pvp Cdp that they have been "working" on for months
  • Options
    trgluestickztrgluestickz Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited June 2020

Healing is still out of control, I can self heal from 10% to full with just insignia bonuses. Disallow insignia bonuses in PVP, or change how effective they are in PVP, maybe adjust healing.

My second point goes hand in hand with the first. The magnitudes on each class's powers needs to be adjusted in PVP, things work differently in PVP than PVE. The ability to kill another player, especially in 1v1 is highly dependent on your ability to burst down their HP before they can heal themselves with their insignia bonuses. Fewer and stronger hitting attacks will always be better than many weaker attacks because the many weaker attacks also proc their self heals many more time. This last fact automatically makes some classes strictly better for PvP than others.

A perfect example that highlights the above two points is the Wizard ability "Ray of Heals" :3 "Heal your opponent for 1% of their max HP every second and apply a stack of chill".

I would like 2 dps classes going 1v1 to take at least 3-4 rotations to kill someone, regardless of which class, so something like 45 seconds to a minute. It redonkulous to walk up to someone while built tanky af, and get taken down to 10-15% hp in less than 2 seconds, and the whole time be stun locked and unable to do squat.

Anyways, just when I think I'm about to put the game down for another 3-6 months, I buy some enchants for pvp and get hooked again :(

You have a few good points in here but you give me the impression you haven't been PVPing much if at all within the last couple of modules. Right now I see a lot more players complaining about people being able to build too tanky with increasingly fewer tradeoffs for it. The tanky builds don't actually need to play well to get similar win rates to players who do play well. Its also making matches less fun for many players by making a lot more boring stalemates happen (tanky build vs tanky build) and making it much harder for anyone to turn matches because of how the majority of players around them are building.
    Big hits can end fights fast but making the hits smaller right now is going to make the current issues worse.

Also, lots of little hits do heal players more than big hits do, but its not like it used to be and this is less of an issue today. Insignia healing is very strong on live though and this does present some issues. I also can't name any classes that are less good because they do smaller hits, all classes are pretty close together right now. The possible exceptions would be dps warlock and paladin, they are a little bit behind everyone else.

Also, you'll probably be happy to know that the devs already nerfed insignia healing a lot on preview, because they reduced the incoming healing on tacticals to 2% for max rank. The downside to this is its going to hurt HP stacking builds, the upside is its probably going to improve conditions in PVP overall. DPS players will need to pay more attention to where the healers are and use them more too.

Not all of the changes on preview are good though, one of the bad M19 changes is its going to add too much defense to the game, there already was a little too much but now its worse. The dps builds will abandon the armor pen stat entirely most likely and the tradeoffs issue for tanky builds is going to get worse, this is due to a combination of a massive weapon damage increase, class changes to 4 classes, and the defense stat issue. Mod 19 also is going to make conditions much harsher on undergeared players, but geared players will be fine.

At least it will get cheeper to make a good PVP build due to the insignia upgrading system changes though. The weapon damage increase also will help pure glass cannon builds. So in mod 19, its going to be the two extremes fighting eachother. But super tanky builds with few tradeoffs and low skill required will have the upperhand for most if not all classes.
    Post edited by trgluestickz on
    --
    PVP Rogue,
    --[----- "Your friendly neighborhood spawn of Satan." -----]--
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Main Character: Hurricane Marigolds (Rogue WK & Assassin)
    Ingame Handle: trgluestickz
    Discord Name: Hurricane🌀Marigolds#2563
    Guilds: She Looked LVL 18 & Essence of Aggression
    Alliances: Imperium & Order of the Silent Shroud
    Platform: PC
  • Options
    quickfoot#7851 quickfoot Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    ^^ Right, the tanky builds are a problem, because they heal themselves, you can't really whittle them down over the course of a minute or two, because they just heal themselves. The fact that Shadowclad is bugged since like forever doesn't help the issue with survivor's blessing either.

Ray of frost can heal the opponent, it's stupid, and why I call it Ray of Heals.

I hadn't played since m16, but it's pretty much the same hamster with a few differences, like after they totally ripped shield to shreds, it's flat out easy to get one-shotted/one rotated, or else taken down all the way to 10% hp in like 2 seconds, even with 350k+ hp, 75-80k defense and 40k deflect, depending on the TR or DC or GF. And then I inspect the other player, and they're built just as tanky as I am (except for the TRs), which makes no sense because I can't dish out the damage they do as a CW. Doesn't make much sense to me. Sure, I can kill pugs, but the other players who are only out classing me by having r15's instead of r14's and different classes, the difference is huge, and the main difference is the difference in encounter power magnitudes. I don't even want to think about the GWFs in pvp next mod with like 900-1000k magnitude encounter powers iirc, basically dailies for encounter powers.

I know they only have one "pvp dev", but I would think we could at least see some changes between mods instead of waiting half a year for things to get fixed/balanced. Like if I was his boss, I would really start to think he doesn't do jack, but what do I know. Anyways, it didn't take long for me to hate myself for wasting ad on pvp again and remembering why I curse this game.

I think part of the problem is in in m16 they fundamentally changed the entire game, while still trying to reuse as much as the old stuff as possible, which has led to a lot of bugs and unforeseen consequences. Plus they really need to balance classes for PvP without affecting PvE, because in PvP things are way different, like the obvious fact that we are not fighting enemies with a billion hp.

• Options
    trgluestickztrgluestickz Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited June 2020

^^ Right, the tanky builds are a problem, because they heal themselves, you can't really whittle them down over the course of a minute or two, because they just heal themselves. The fact that Shadowclad is bugged since like forever doesn't help the issue with survivor's blessing either.

Ray of frost can heal the opponent, it's stupid, and why I call it Ray of Heals.

I hadn't played since m16, but it's pretty much the same hamster with a few differences, like after they totally ripped shield to shreds, it's flat out easy to get one-shotted/one rotated, or else taken down all the way to 10% hp in like 2 seconds, even with 350k+ hp, 75-80k defense and 40k deflect, depending on the TR or DC or GF. And then I inspect the other player, and they're built just as tanky as I am (except for the TRs), which makes no sense because I can't dish out the damage they do as a CW. Doesn't make much sense to me. Sure, I can kill pugs, but the other players who are only out classing me by having r15's instead of r14's and different classes, the difference is huge, and the main difference is the difference in encounter power magnitudes. I don't even want to think about the GWFs in pvp next mod with like 900-1000k magnitude encounter powers iirc, basically dailies for encounter powers.

I know they only have one "pvp dev", but I would think we could at least see some changes between mods instead of waiting half a year for things to get fixed/balanced. Like if I was his boss, I would really start to think he doesn't do jack, but what do I know. Anyways, it didn't take long for me to hate myself for wasting ad on pvp again and remembering why I curse this game.

I think part of the problem is in in m16 they fundamentally changed the entire game, while still trying to reuse as much as the old stuff as possible, which has led to a lot of bugs and unforeseen consequences. Plus they really need to balance classes for PvP without affecting PvE, because in PvP things are way different, like the obvious fact that we are not fighting enemies with a billion hp.

In the case of wizard, the shield nerf didn't actually make them much weaker than they were before, its more like it raised the skill required for wizard but when played well, they are easily one of the best classes in PVP. They also gained more damage as a result of them needing to slot a 4th power that does damage.

They do less dps per hit than say, a rogue or a barbarian, but they also do damage nearly ceaselessly when played well and their CCs are very useful for turning matches, which is very scary for me since I will run out of things eventually even with stealth giving me some brief recovery time. Ray of frost is one of the better at wills in the game, it can (and usually does) dish out a lot of damage. I wouldn't be surprised if its less effective than other strong at wills like my gloaming cut vs tanky enemies though.

Wizards rely heavily on managing their stamina well right now too, they need to conserve their stamina and can't really afford to waste a single dodge. The best ones use a lot of jumping and dodge only when they need to.
    I also can't land my smokebomb on really good wizards usually, they are too good at avoiding it.

I was also surprised a while back to learn that the nerfed shield was actually still good for some things, I doubt it would be good for matches but when used right, its still a viable option in 1vs1s.

Also, if you do come back to the game right now, I'd recommend high HP on a wizard, even if you are still stacking defense. 350k is too low, would pull it up to at least 420k but higher is better. I'm not sure if that recommendation is going to hold true for mod 19 or not though.
    --
    PVP Rogue,
    --[----- "Your friendly neighborhood spawn of Satan." -----]--
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Main Character: Hurricane Marigolds (Rogue WK & Assassin)
    Ingame Handle: trgluestickz
    Discord Name: Hurricane🌀Marigolds#2563
    Guilds: She Looked LVL 18 & Essence of Aggression
    Alliances: Imperium & Order of the Silent Shroud
    Platform: PC