test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Randomized Bottomless 'Pit' (or Tower?... something) Dungeon

I heard that one of the issues on the Devs plate is creating much more challenging content, making teamwork more necessary.
Recently came back so I m still a newb when it comes to what all there is in 'endgame' as I haven't really made it past halfway in any of the campaigns but I know games that have random 'Endless' or 'Bottomless' Dungeons as part of the endgame always give the game a reason to spend time playing it.

Was thinking that adding this type of dungeon with randomized floors, loads of deadly spikey death or poison traps, cage brawl traps where rooms seal you in or drop party into a pit, even secret shortcuts, party buffs, injury 'stations', or AD stashes split across party all hidden by each of the class skills- Dungeoneering, Arcane, Religion, Nature, and Thievery.
Unsure the best way to tie into the story but either Avernus bottomless pit, some sort of arcane wizards labyrinth spell, or something celestial tower like came to mind?

After hitting goal posts clearing, say every ten floors, each player would be able to return to that floor with different party but not able to go any deeper than they have previously reached. Also ZERO campfires for respawning so that players must do their utmost to keep each other alive or wipe and have to start from the last 'goalpost'.

I wouldn't randomize every single cell but instead have loads of complete sections that can be placed together randomly to ensure there is at least a path forward and different dungeon skin textures for each section. Say for a trap that has one or more hidden bypass paths include them all in the same section

Each 'floor' would get exponentially harder, could have debuffs/curses, and be a labyrinth in itself but the rewards I think would have to be the most tantalizing to all players, which I think we can agree would be granting a few more Master Boon points to be spent as well as a good source to quickly receive daily AD.

Not needing to rerun static dungeons/skirmishes for AD and having 3 or maybe more Master Boon points be obtainable by reaching certain thresholds every few thousand floors up to a final one clearing the 10,000th floor(or deeper?) would be a great way to get players to work together and since the floors are random the same floor number will always give a new playthrough!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    Sounds like Palace of the Dead upper levels to me. or Heaven on High. Both are easy for the first 30-100 floors (100 for Palace which has 200 floors total, Heaven on High has 100) but after that you NEED a balanced team which knows what they are doing, AND you need to use the special mechanics and items you find smart if you want a chance to complete it.
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    People expected randomized dungeon with the Maze Engine. They didn't get it.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    agonistes#1431 agonistes Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    You, kind of, described Heaven on High/Palace of the Dead from FFXIV. It was fun gateway content, but it got pretty boring really fast honestly.

I wouldn't mind something like that in NW as long as it had some cool cosmetic rewards.