test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

50% Nerf on Arcanist?

2»

Comments

• devilxjkdevilxjk Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    50%? so you are last in painfull meter? are you sure?
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User

greywynd said:

They didn't remove 3 boons. Where did you get that idea? Julia stated a while ago that the boons capped out at 67. The fact that several of us had 70 points listed as spent, does not, in fact, mean that we had 70 boons.

I definitely had 70 boons. Infact yesterday I lost a few HP after selecting back my boons, as I have less points in one of the HP boons. Not a big issue honestly and if it was a bug it was a bug and it was right to fix it.
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/comment/13139274
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • motu999#9953 motu999 Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    merik1999 said:

ON all my runs they are still top DPS so not sure what the complaint is?

This.

The headline is - very likely purposefully - misleading.
    Nerfing certain special powers by 50% does not mean, that *total* dps goes down by 50%.
    It is likely that the nerfed special powers contribute around ~10% to ~20% of total dps (just guessing).
    Reducing a 10-20% increase in dps to a 5-10% increase (a 50% nerf on the *increase* percentage), reduces total dps by ~5-10%.

• aerhythia#3255 aerhythia Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    5% nerf, 5% buff from boots.
  • motu999#9953 motu999 Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    nemesrich said:

I feel for you guys, but nerfing and buffing different classes with no reason is usual in the game. It is standard policy in most mmos.

I guess it is part of the business model. Always change things, so that we must constantly upgrade our toons ...
  • lukejones77lukejones77 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 282 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    Well, clearly it's not a 50% nerf.

There is a real problem though. The DEVs really did much up the wizard. If you follow their communications, they thought the Arcanist was vastly overperforming, and the Thaum under performing.

How did they come to that conclusion? Well, Arcanists were the best single target, and average at AOE - looking at optimal cross class performance. ToMM is somewhat elitist, experienced in a good way by a tiny proportion of the player base, and a Neverwinter anomoly in that it's one big long single target fight.

The DEVs needed to fix classes so that ToMM became a proper rainbow of DPS classes, but what they did to the wizard to achieve that was a mess.

Instead of nerfing single target capability, they hit the wizard universal damage platform - nerfing across single target and AoE alike.

Now, we're kinda in line with their new baseline reference class (the TR) in single target, but AoE got badly nerfed.
    Even more embarrassing - the DEVs wanted to boost the Thaum, which they recognized as badly under-performing, but accidentally nerfed it even more.
    They listed the changes to Arcanist ( a bunch of nerfs, including nerfing chilling damage), and they listed the boosts they made to Thaum.
    The thing is, the chilling damage nerfs they did to Arcanist also hit the Thaum, and, overall, the Thaum went even further down.
    This was pointed out to the DEVs in the Preview forums weeks before mod 18 went live.
    Nothing changed.

I don't know what to make of this.
    When the DEVs nerf the hard-earned capability of classes (sometimes a good thing for the game), don't they have a sense of duty of care to get it at least vaguely right? Isn't this the sort of thing that, nerf by badly conducted nerf, continues to shrink the dwindling player base?
    Do they just summarily dismiss anything that doesn't make them feel good when feedback gets posted in the "please give us preview feedback" forums? Seriously, in this case, the advice was just *too obvious* to ignore.

It's a mess, but at least the ToMM DPS classes are looking more like a rainbow now. That's the greater good.
    Really, though, they didn't need to HAMSTER-off a class of Neverwinter players this badly to get there. They're supposed to have a DEV genius with an uncanny sense of achieving MMO class balance.